Dowager Queen Anthy
Champion of the Air Pattern, Keeper of Dreams, Chatelaine of Tir'na'nog
Dowager Queen Anthy was Gendo's last wife, and still is alive. The young dowager queen is younger than many of her step-children. She is shy and quiet, the least assertive of the queens Gendo married over the years. In fact, she is sometimes so passive it gets downright creepy. Still, she is gentle and kind. Her hair is purple and wavy, pulled back into a bun, and she wears glasses. She is mother to Utena and Wakaba.
These days, she seems largely content to advise Tylor and to maintain the castle gardens. She also acts as the umpire for the Rose Dueling Arena. During the Annadil Crisis, it became apparent that she is the guardian of the Demi-Jewel of Air.
Anthy is known to be quite close to Prince Mikage, and quite fond of her granddaughter Jacqueline and her grand-neice, Shinobu. She's also been known to discuss being a queen with Corrine and to spend time with Princess Hiko. She also seems quite fond of Prince Demetrius and is rumored to be secretly dating Vash. (There are certain strange rumors which claims Anthy and Demetrius periodically merge together into some sort of rampaging uberpowerful Abyss Monster which is then turned loose on Amber's enemies. Most people place these roughly on a level with the claim that Davros is actually King Gendo in disguise.)
Anthy seems to have had some involvement in the arrival of the Wind Dragon, and she has taken baby Demetrius and Vash under her care.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: Do not worry, Father, we will not let you fall.
- Gendo: Some things may only be understood from the inside. That is why so many hate him.
- Anno: We need you, Father. Please hurry back.
- Anthy: Perhaps I've learned a little over the years. I hope.
- King Tylor: More his father's son than most realize.
- Touga: Gently, Touga, gently. The garden must be tended with a delicate hand, or the flowers turn on you.
- Drake: Why must you do what was not done to you, Drake?
- Van: He lives a dream. We should all be so lucky.
- Saionji: In time, even the worst scars can heal, so long as you cease to pick at them.
- Eowyn: I mourn him too. But do not forget we can still see him, sometimes.
- Juri: I am glad to see she has found joy; I pray it does not destroy her restraint.
- Corrine: Now, perhaps, I think you will come to understand.
- Makoto: I know, Makoto, I know.
- Corey: I admire his strength and his liveliness.
- Nanami: We have never been close, and often not friendly at all, but I mourn her death. She is happier now, and I can be glad for that.
- Miki: A bird in the hand, sweet prince.
- Kozue: I think it would have been different if Derith and Rei had not perished. But there is still hope, while life endures.
- Derith: His legacy lives on. Unfortunately.
- Utena: My lips are sealed. And boggled.
- Wakaba: I know it is hard to let go. But it is absolutely essential.
- Vash: Such a cute little baby.
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: I will advise you through it as best I can, but some things must be learned the hard way, unfortunately.
- Suu: I am glad to see she is alright.
- The Red Knight: Do not worry, we have seen dark times before, my friend.
- Nabiki: She is a perfect match for Drake, I think.
- Tsuwabuki: I know, my friend. You think they will be there forever, and then they are gone. I am here, whenever you wish to talk about it.
- Madoka: I do not think he means to cause you trouble, but men sometimes do not think these things through as we do. Be patient with him.
The TAMD Generation
- Keiko: I think the sailing will be smoother from here on out. And try not to beat Ramon too much.
- Mikage: I am sorry to see you gone, my friend. We have shared much together over the years, and I still reel from the loss. Take good care of Nausicaa for me.
- Nagisa: Gentle and kind, he is a good man and a good friend to me.
- Ramon: Deep down, she knows you had nothing to do with it, but she will likely be jumpy for a while. Be patient.
- Shinobu Major: I should have done more, but I gave up, and now we have lost her. I should have done more.
- Shizumaru: I think you chose wisely. Do not worry, Michelle will take good care of her, I think.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Damask: I find an independent brain-node for each hand works best.
- Atsuko: I agree, it is not easy to be a mother.
- Gabrielle: As I told you, time brings perspective, does it not?
- Inaba: There is no greater fool than one who sees the light and turns to serve the dark instead.
- Rimururu: Day by day, you forge the bars of your own prison, build the walls up to block the sun. And then you complain that there is no light and it is cold. There is none so blind as she who will not see.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: We cannot protect our children forever. The time comes when we must trust them to protect themselves. Do not blame yourself; you did all you could do.
- Demetrius: He has seen my darkness, and I have seen his. There are few greater intimacies than what we have shared. I will not fail him.
- Jacqueline: You cannot be all things to all people, grand-daughter. Not forever.
- Kanna: Her strength is a shield for those of us who are weak.
- Kentaro: There are few things more crushing to one raised noble than the realization that your nobility, in the end, is not enough. Will you let it break you?
- Kuonji: Inch by inch, day by day. That is all any of us can do.
- Moonshade: Now you know how I sometimes felt.
- Motoko: Serpent guide your path and the Unicorn lead you. Go, and go swiftly.
- Mutsumi: Men err, it is their nature, Mutsumi. I do not think he will err again.
- Naru: I know it is tempting to let it all turn to poison, but do not let it fester. That was your mother's mistake.
- Nausicaa: I promise you, she will do you proud.
- Shinobu Minor: Just be sure you know what you are getting into, before it is too late to get out.
- Sumire: You catch more flies with honey than scorn.
- Thoric: Fall down six times, get up seven.
- Vice: Sometimes, you know something is the right thing, but your heart gets in the way of doing it.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: Be patient with them. They deserve it.
- Kaede: I envy you a little.
- Lily: Do not withdraw in your grief. None of us can afford isolation.
- Mitsune: Be patient. We are all tempted, sometimes.
- Ruka: I know, we saw the signs, but we did not act in time.
- Aburatsubo: Once Haru's curse is removed, I think you two would make a good couple.
- Akari: I know how hard it is to climb out of the pit. But I think you are doing it well, and I hope things continue to look up for you.
- Anya: You ate the etiquette book, I bet.
- Asuka: I am gladdened to see you and Random trying to reconcile. It is always best to turn enemies into friends.
- Chloe: You have much to be proud of, Chloe. And much to learn.
- Deirdre: A good first step, but you have a ways to go.
- Hanajima: We will make you whole again, I promise you that.
- Haru: I agree with you on the value of patient contemplation.
- Jewel: Jewel, I am proud of your skills and your accomplishments. But your manners are atrocious, and you are in desperate need of a spanking. Sooner or later, you will make someone angry enough they will not care about the consequences. Is that what you want?
- Kanako: I mourn her death and the waste of her life. She had so much potential, and she deserved better than this.
- Kaname: Wind yourself too tightly, and you will break.
- Katherine: I do not think she yet understands what she has gotten into.
- Kurz: Please teach my grand-daughter some manners. PLEASE.
- Kyou: Be a man and stop letting Kagura suffer. Settle things properly, while you still can.
- Makoto Minor: Give them time. A century is still youth for us.
- Melissa: I am not sure what I would do in your place.
- Minako: You have much to atone for, and much to fix. But I think you are ready to do so, now.
- Miroku: Do not mistake the medium for the message.
- Allen von Munchausen: The time comes swiftly, my friend.
- Nanami Minor: I am proud of you, my daughter. And grateful. I love you; do not forget that.
- Nanbara: I see. Are you sure of that?
- Orien: Your mother would be proud of you, Orien. I wish you could have known her.
- Ota Minor: Some things are beyond even my comprehension.
- Random: I am proud of you, grand-daughter. Be proud of yourself, and use your new strength wisely.
- Setsuna: She will need you more than ever, now. Be there for her.
- Shigure: Your time is coming.
- Shiori: The darkness is so tempting, is it not? But I think you will be strong enough to resist the temptations.
- Sousuke: A good soldier needs a plan of action before going into battle, Lord Sousuke. You know of what I speak, I think. But congratulations on the saving of your family.
- Suzuka: I must do something, but I know not what. I have seen this before, and I will not let it happen again.
- Telemain: Telemain, Telemain. What were you thinking?
- Tohru: Be careful, child. Love can lead us astray as well as strengthen us.
- Tomos: I am not sure if he can make the necessary changes.
- Uo: I am glad to see you and Nanami are finally starting to get along. I had feared the worst. But now I can hope for the best.
- Violet: I know, I know, she has a big mouth. But you should not let words drive you to rash deeds.
- Yomiko: There are few things worse than to lose those we love most. I know.
- Yuki: You are just what she needs. Remember that sometimes she will need your support, and sometimes you must not be afraid to tell her she is wrong. But I fear only experience will tell you which times are which.