Background Packages cost 5 points each (With a few exceptions).
You have to commit to buying them before I'll reveal what exact benefits they confer. It's perfectly acceptable to take a background like
this for free as part of your character design; it simply won't convey
the special benefits that point investment will get you. Buying a
Background Package does give you a reputation for having it.
- Amber City Naval Academy: You attended the elite ACNA, which has been training elite naval officers for centuries. This package costs 10 points, unlike normal ones, and requires you to buy at least one Occupational package related to military naval endeavours as well, since all graduates go into Amber's navy.
- Chaos Foreign Service Brat: You grew up being hauled all over creation on diplomatic missions. You've seen just about everywhere in the Black Zone up close and personal and some strange places beyond it.
- Far-Traveller: You have travelled extensively in shadow.
- Foreign Service Brat: You grew up being hauled all over creation on diplomatic missions. You've seen just about everywhere in the Golden Circle up close and personal and some strange places beyond it.
- Great School of Magic: You attended the Great School of Magic in Lemuria, in the Black Zone. If one can avoid turning into a turnip, there are few better magical educations to be had. This is a ten point package.
- Grew Up or Spent Substantial Time in:
- A Fantasy Shadow
- A High-Tech Shadow
- A Pulp Adventure Shadow
- A Sentai Shadow
- Shadow Earth
- Harad City War Academy: You attended the Harad City War Academy, Amber's premier military school. It is a very rigorous program, and unlike other background packages, costs 10 points. You must purchase some military service Occupational package as well, as all graduates go into Amber's military.
- House Upbringing: You were raised by one of the Houses of Chaos, and thus recieved some special education in their specialties. Unless you have a really good backstory, you can only be raised by one house.
- House Aesir: House Aesir are noted for perfecting their fighting skills in endless battles against the giants of Jotunheim. And their drinking skills too.
- House Alars: House Alars has long been noted for its skills of intrigue and their ability to winkle out people's secrets, as well as some skill at sorcery.
- House Danaani: They are artists and creators, playwrights, singers, entertainers, and architects, making things of beauty.
- House Darios: Possibly the best sailors in Chaos, they maintain an extensive trade network.
- House Formorian (House Firbolg): They may be superfreaks, but they're experts at hunting and at knowing how to deal with pain and disabilities without them being overwhelmed.
- House Helgram: They love the Serpent. They'll teach you to love the Serpent.
- House Hendrake: The greatest soldiers of Chaos.
- House Ivy (Minor, allied to Nurgal and Tremere): They know more about plants and the element of wood than just about anyone.
- House Jesby: Possibly the best sailors in Chaos, specializing in naval combat
- House Nurgal: House Nurgal are noted sorcerors and work wonders with glass and farming in hostile terrain.
- House Olympus: They seem like drunken, amorous louts because they are. But for those who would rather be a lover than a fighter, this is the place to learn those arts.
- House Suroth : They are reknowned as the greatest shifters in Chaos.
- House Tremere: The best sorcerors and artificers of Chaos. They make things which work.
- House Vanir: Where Jesby does fleet battles, they are naval raiders and pirates and warriors of some skill.
- Non-Chaosian Shifter Heritage: Amberites only (Royal or Non-Royal) One of your parents was a shifter from Shadow, and you inherited that same potential.
- Ohtori Academy Graduate: You have a degree from Ohtori Academy, a very fine finishing school.
- Panopticon Graduate: You attended Panopticon University and got a degree.
- Streeling University Graduate: You attended Streeling University in the Shadow of Trantor, where you received a fine education in everything important to life in High-Tech shadows.