Queen of Ember
- Ride the serpent
- grasp its eye
- follow its lead
- to a city in the sky
- Open the way
- Unlock the door
- to a world unknown
- in ancient lore
- -- The Prophecies of the Serpent
The youngest of the surviving original Harad sisters, Corrine was the
fourth sister of the five; and quite possibly the strongest of the family
at the time. She was certainly the toughest, for Prince Van had vanished
into Shadow, presumed dead, decades before. She grew up in a time of war,
equally being sheltered from its harms yet being prepared to eventually
contribute to Amber's defense by Queen Haruka, so as to prevent her from
meeting the fate of her other sisters (Eowyn, Catherine, and Haruka
Minor). Facing war in its bloody worst, and the loss of her siblings,
made Corrine grow up to be steadfast as best she could, as well as
protective of her immediate and extended family, regardless of her
personal feelings on their behaviour.
Corrine is one of the more friendly members of the royal family; she
tries to get along with her siblings, half-siblings, and descendants, to
various degrees of success. Her worldview is very practical, though
spiced with a strong artistic streak. Corrine is a "Realistic Optimist",
in her own words -- hoping for the best, but realizing that there will
often be rocks along the path, needing strength to surmount them.
Corrine's love life has had nowhere near the sheer number of potholes some
of her other siblings have had; on the other hand, she did not have a
steady, long-term relationship since the days of the Second Cimbri war,
where her first love, Harold Kusanagi (the son of one of Amber's merchant
families), was killed during Haruka Minor's disasterous 'peace
negotiation'. It's widely believed that having lost a lover once in such
a fasion made Corrine gunshy for making permanent romantic attachments for
centuries after, perferring the safety of friendship and sibling love.
For centuries Corrine did not actively seek out a steady relationship,
until the recreation of Ember and her compacting with the Red Knight. They
have been married for over a century and a half now, and are still deeply
in love with each other.
Over the years, Corrine has had a number of children; not all of them
directly hers, or even technically human. Her eldest, Gabrielle, is
actually a Pattern and Trump construct built around the Fire Demi-Jewel
and the Fire Pattern of Ember. Kanna, her first true child by the Red
Knight, is the Crown Princess of Ember and its Special Agent, serving as
her mother's eyes and ears across Shadow. Keiko and Demetrius are
Corrine's adopted children, granted membership in the royal family via
legal fictions to explain their local Pattern Imprints (Keiko originally
was from Lipun and needed to obtain a Fire Pattern imprint to wipe out
Morgenstern's Broken Pattern lustprint, and Demetrius gained a Pattern
Imprint from the Air Pattern under the guidance of the White Knight).
However, over the decades, Corrine has grown to treat them as her own
children, just from force of habit of having to maintain the charade.
Corrine has very strong loyalties to her family, to her kingdom, and
Reality as a whole. She does not always give out friendship easily, but
she does try, and if that friendship and trust is returned, one gains a
powerful royal ally. Conversely, harming her family and friends can yeild
anything from cold disapproval to wholesale invasion, depending on the
circumstance. She has no desire to repeat the mistakes of Gendo, choosing
instead to model her Queenship on the reigns and attitudes of Yuriko,
Anthy, and Haruka; but she does admit being a Queen does provide certain
options others do not have...
Corrine is one of the Trump Masters of the family; while Miki has more
overall skill and mental strength, and Mutsumi knows how to combine Trump
and Sorcery, Corrine has refined her trump abilities on the personal level
to the degree that she no longer needs physical cards or items to trump
from one location to another, instantaneously. She can also trump items
to herself after having touched them once, and pull off other esoteric
tricks. She is an average Pattern user, much to her regret, but she does
know a reasonable amount of knowledge on the use of DemiJewels?, the nature
of the Patterns and Pattern Knights, and the construction and use of
In other realms, Corrine remains one of the family's most skilled
artists, a reasonable musican, a fair combatant and brawler, and a
skilled Queen. She continues to be one of the more knowledgeable members
of the family when it comes to the history of Arden and the secrets of its
byways, even though she hasn't been its Warden for over a century and a
half. She also is a historical author of some note, having learned the
skill during her explorations of the ruins of the first Ember.
Corrine is still one of the tougher members of the family -- and when
you're a queen, being tough is an asset. She also likes to hug.
Corrine Across the Campaigns
Prior to the Annadil Crisis, Corrine served as the Warden of Arden and was
one of the first to meet Prince Shizumaru at his home in Lipun. She also
had one of the first encounters with the Embran duplicates in the depths
of Forest Arden, and was caught up in the mess that was Kozue and Madoka's
Afterwords, feeling at a loss at what to do, she decided it would be a
good idea to head to the Fire Pattern of Ember (long forgotten or thought
to be only a myth) and repair the damage done to its Final Veil, so as to
prevent the Forces Of Evil from exploiting its damage. In doing so, she
subconciously recreated the Kingdom of Ember, drawn on its unearthed
history and her own experiences in Shadow.
This also made her Ember's Queen, which to this day still boggles her, as
it certainly was not her intent or desire to get the 'big chair'. However,
she has definitely grown into the role, seeing it as her responsibility
and duty given her accomplishment in repairing the Fire Pattern.
After the rebirth of Ember and the construction of Gabrielle, Corrine got
caught up in the hunt for the MacFinndos?, meeting 'Amberites' of several
different universes. Travelling together, they put a stop to the
MacFinndos?' rampages in Fido the Logrus Squid, and managed to arrive back
in Amber in time for the Siege Of The Keep Of The Five Worlds and the
climactic battle against Annadil in the Gate of Revolution chamber on the
Second Day of Darkness.
It was observed by many that she had become close to Juri of Avalon, one
of her travelling companions, after the dissapearance of her blood-sister
Juri. The depths of their relationship is still not known, for Juri of
Avalon and her cohorts left the universe for their own soon after the
After the Annadil Crisis, Corrine resigned her Wardenship to rule Ember
fulltime. She married the Red Knight, and gave birth to Kanna, who was
raised in Ember. This pulled her out of the immediate circle of family
interaction, but she still made a concerted effort to maintain ties with
the rest of her family.
During the Herald Crisis, Corrine served mostly in the background in a
supporting role, not going out on missions until the Day of the Dead,
where she grappled and killed Hel's Concubine over Hel's Primal Pattern,
buying time for it to be destroyed -- and lived due to her connection to
Ember's Fire Pattern. She has absolutely no desire to go through that
Since then, Corrine has continued to rule Ember with a firm but steady
hand. Ocassionaly she will leave Kanna in charge as Regent, giving her
daughter experience in ruling while giving herself some time off. However,
it is expected that Corrine will rule well in Ember for centuries to come.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: The man who, intentionally or not, put me on the path I'm on today. I hope I have lived up to the trust you've placed in me, Grandfather.
- Gendo: Only now do I understand, I think, why you were the way you were, father. Was this what you hoped for me, when you left the Fire Jewel in Sparky's horde?
- Anthy: A good role model for my queenship, and a sympathetic ear to my concerns. I am glad you did not fall prey to the Abyss.
- Haruka of Harad: Mother, I miss you still, but I am glad you have found peace in the hereafter. I hope my queenship will be as good as yours.
- Moire of Rebma: If only you had but known... but if-onlies do not save kingdoms. I wish I could have gotten to know you better before the Annadil Crisis -- but that's a might-have-been that didn't happen.
- Shayla of Ember: I never knew you. But perhaps, in some way, your spirit lives on in a kingdom reborn. Ember Aeternus!
- Anno of Gainax: I should like to chat with you further about this squid problem, good sir...
- King Tylor: Brother Tylor is cannier than most think, and he does well to keep it hidden. He has been a breath of fresh air in the kingdom, helming it as well as he did the fleets in the past.
- Touga: He has turned out better than I remembered.
- Drake: Quick to damn, but also quick to admit his errors when they are actually demonstrated to him. I was proud to serve with him in the wars -- when he was actually around. *pause* Please don't ask me to run across a Pattern again.
- Van: He has adapted well to his new circumstances. Though being part of Arcadia, not Amber, has probably smoothed this.
- Saionji: He has mellowed. But he needs to let go of some of his past. Then again, I'm one to talk.
- Eowyn: If only we could have caught out the deceits you were ensared in during the Annadil Crisis, twice-born sister. Not everybody gets a second chance in this life.
- Juri: My closest sibling, beloved sister, who brought me back from the abyss of self-destruction, whom I would do nearly anything for. My sister's business is her own, and while I may question some of her choices in this life, I wish her happiness all the same. Please, PLEASE keep safe in Arcadia -- and I look forward to meeting my new neices and nephews!
- Makoto: Amusing. He makes me laugh. But he also has a sneakier side that folks tend to disregard.
- Corey: ... why did we rescue him, again?
- Nanami: I will mourn your passing, but I cannot claim to have fully understood you, sister. And while you had legitimate reasons to be bitter, some of it you did bring upon yourself.
- Miki: This should not have happened to you. But the fact that you have managed to keep some good spirits says something. May your fortunes turn upwards again, and soon.
- Kozue: Kozue, I respect your skills, and perhaps can comprehend some of your frustrations -- but there are lengths people should not go to when expressing them. Treason, for one. Or genocide, for that matter.
- Derith: I make no conceits -- I was afraid of him, due to the power of his mind and his skills with the Pattern. Sadly, his narrow focus on Rebma led to its destruction and his own. But is this the path that any of us in charge of a kingdom risk if we get too obsessed? There is a fine line between devotion and obsession, after all...
- Utena: You have served well and suffered through much, idealistic sister -- but the ones responsible for your plight are dead, or locked away. It's really time to let it go.
- Wakaba: Manages to keep a remarkably cheery face despite everything she's been through with Utena.
- Vash: I can't believe I ever thought he was father reborn. But he's a good man, and I'm glad Shiori was able to rescue him. *pause* So, where is he, already?
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: My other role model for what a queen should be. She balances her husband well. Good luck with little Ferris, balancing running a kingdom and raising a child is a trick and a half.
- Suu: Like Lian was, but with Power Logrus Action!
- The Red Knight: My beloved husband and soulmate. Those who claim you are less than you seem tend to forget the centuries of life you had before I claimed the throne... you are no puppet or toy, and I am forever greatful for your support and love.
- Nabiki: An intelligent, elegant woman. A bit mercenary at times, but she's worked out well in her job.
- Tsuwabuki: A good choice as Marshal.
- Madoka: You did the right thing, Madoka. Please take care of Miki. I'll... see what I can do, hopefully, to tone down Juri. Though by now, it's probably too late. Damnit.
The TAMD Generation
- Hiko: If only things had been different...
- Keiko: This family surely twists itself into knots at times. Yes, indeed.
- Michelle: I don't understand what made her sexual preferences change the way it did, but at the core, she's still the neice I knew inside.
- Mikage: A man who dared the darkness to bring the freedom of the air back to us. He will be missed. His construct, on the other hand, cannot be removed from Reality fast enough -- the sooner, the better.
- Nagisa: A good man, who endures much, and helps provide balance for my eldest daughter. I am proud to call you a son-in-law and nephew.
- Ramon: A good strong heart. He has been nothing but an excellent role model for Kanna.
- Shaft: A good fighter, a good person at heart, but a little bit given to excesses in his time. But I mourned when he passed during the Herald Crisis, for he was laid low by forces outside his control.
- Shinobu Major: You... Unicorn and Pyricorn, you let your own DAUGHTER AND SIBLINGS GET BRAINEATEN!!! And ALL YOU CAN SAY IS "I'M SORRY, I HOPE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND?!"
- Shizumaru: Good fighter, a good man, and one whom I'm proud to call one of my nephews and a worthy Heir to the Wardenship. No, I don't know anything about Bustie.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Atsuko: She's Shizumaru's mother, right? Sometimes she doesn't act like it.
- Damask: ...
- The Green Knight: May your heart find solace. For what it's worth, I'm glad you did not find fault with my caretaking of your forest.
- Gabrielle: My first daughter, in spirit and heart, if not in flesh. You have done me proud, when I haven't desired to tear my hair out over your antics. But I suppose that's the fate of all mothers.
- Inaba: ...
- Rimururu: Look to your husband, and not those who mock you -- but in turn, try to be accepting of things that changed? I would not see you consumed by anger like others in the family. It's never pretty.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: Kind, polite, always ready with a good gift or a kindly ear. But with a core of steel and dedication that makes him pull through for everyone. More could learn from him -- Kanna certainly did.
- Demetrius: I do not trust the Abyss, but I do trust him, and while he may sometimes get led astray, he is always brought back onto the path. He has proved himself a skillful commander; I respect him. And for the seven thousandth two hundred and fifteenth time, I AM NOT DARAKO!!!
- Jacqueline: Sometimes, I wonder. But she has worked out as a good queen.
- Kanna: I have nothing but pride and love for my daughter. She is a fine crown princess and special agent, and learns from her mistakes. She has matured into a wonderful mother as well. Give her a few more centuries of seasoning, and perhaps she'll work out well enough as Queen that I can finally RETIRE...
- Kentaro: Never really understood him -- he always seemed to be in the background, even with his fanclub.
- Kuonji: You have my respect for your skills. However, your behavior in the past means I can never trust you. Lead my daughters astray again, or put my kingdom at risk, and you will know a Queen's wrath.
- Lian: Would that you could have avoided the fate of those in your family who had dealings with the Abyss -- it always led to ruin in some form or another. I regret your passing and miss you, but you did bring it on yourself.
- Lucien: Could have made up for Derith's errors, but I suspect some of the deck was stacked against him from the start.
- Moonshade: Would have been second choice for Warden of Arden if Shizumaru hadn't taken the job. Never would've figured her to be bisexual, though.
- Moriya: You were a credit to your father in your time.
- Motoko: Mmm. A woman of contradictions, but also many skills. But a good teacher, if Shiori's to be believed.
- Mutsumi: She has developed into a fine queen.
- Naru: A good warrior and scholar. I continue to be surprised that she came from Kozue's line.
- Nausicaa: A Harad in spirit, if not name -- though not all choices are wise and good, at least you were among us for a time to make them.
- Shinobu Minor: My first granddaughter. Gabrielle and Nagisa are rightly proud of her.
- Sumire: An excellent princess, a canny businesswoman, a cunning sorceress and warrior, and a good friend to Kanna. I'm sorry I haven't been able to help much with Kentaro, and I'm still not sure what Drake is thinking.
- Thoric: The potential he had was revealed by the trust and support of Beowulf and Kanna. This should be a lesson to anyone about the power of being supportive of others.
- Vice: Mmmm. For me, the jury's still out.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: Another man of contradictions and skills.
- Kaede: I'm sorry to see him go; he was a good man. Needed to work on his diplomatic skills, however.
- Lily: A pretty face, a canny mind, and a good match for Beowulf.
- Mitsune: Amusing, and dedicated to her friends. I'm still surprised that she hooked up with Motoko et. al, though.
- Ruka: A good, dependable man who supported Kanna when her times were darkest, and thereby earned my trust and support. He has been a credit to Amber's navy, a loving husband for Kanna, and an excellent father for Shiori. I wish him nothing but the best, and am proud to call him son-in-law.
- Aburatsubo: Kind and thoughtful. He'd be a good match for Shiori, if he wasn't gay. Then again, that hasn't stopped her before.
- Akari: She's had it rough this past week. Hopefully, with my daughter watching over her, Akari's fortunes can turn to the better.
- Anya: A fine, strong daughter for that branch of the family. She isn't afraid to speak her mind, either. Hmm...
- Asuka: A firey Haradian, one would almost think she was Hiko reborn. I am glad I can help soothe your troubles, but be careful to bank those fires before they burn you, neice...
- Chloe: Not much personal interaction yet, but Kanna spoke well of her, and she seems to be quite impressive.
- Deirdre: It is nice that the blood of the Elves has begun to enter the line of Amber... I do wish some of their wisdom was entering, too...
- Hanajima: Anthy speaks well of her, but our paths do not often cross.
- Haru: Well, damn.
- Jewel: The more I hear about this week, the more I have to agree with my granddaughter -- did somebody go and declare it National Buttoy Week behind our backs?
- Kanako: There are powers beyond our ken which we should not meddle in. My family did not spend the Annadil Crisis and the Herald Crisis fighting the Outsiders so you could wallow in their lores and try to spread the taint to others.
- Kaname: I never thought I'd see the day there would be a person who could surpass both myself and Miki in the arts of Trump. She will go far, and she is a credit to her parents.
- Katherine: *arched eyebrow* Okay, this will take some explaining -- I look forward to it, however. Should be amusing.
- Kurz: Amusing, in a cute puppy sort of way.
- Kyou: Can't say much about him, as I haven't really met him.
- Makoto: I hope my opposite number at Arcadia's Yig has taught you well. But from all reports, she has.
- Melissa: A credit to House Helgram.
- Minako: Reports are conflicting. I'll get back to you.
- Miroku: Studious. And randy. But dedicated in his way. *pause* Uh huh, sure you haven't slept with him, Shiori.
- Allen von Munchausen: An amusing teller of stories. Not quite so good at making his own story coherent or wise.
- Nanami Minor: She... mmm. In time, I hope her temper leads to temperence. But the end of her path I cannot see. She reminds me of too many and too much in my past, and of might-have-beens that I am glad did not happen.
- Nanbara: Educated, in his way.
- Orien: A good man, who has been like a grandson to me. A bit of a player, but... hrm. Well, Shiori likes him still, so that says something.
- Ota Minor: I worry about him.
- Random: Treat my sister well, Random Tenjou, and guard her heart and children. My trust is placed in you; do not betray it.
- Setsuna: No, for the thousandth time, I am not a Cone Person. Nor is anybody on my staff a Cone Person. Shall I walk the Metal Pattern again to prove it to you?
- Shigure: A good ambassador, quite amusing in a loose-tounge sort of way.
- Shiori: My youngest granddaughter, who has made her own path in life and done nothing but made me proud while she has travelled it. Her songs touch the heart, and her skill is without measure. She will go far in life, I have no doubts about that.
- Sousuke: A good soldier and tactician. With some seasoning and social skills, he should make a good head of Helgram should the need arise.
- Suzuka: I have not heard much about her, unfortunately. Nor met her.
- Telemain: Primal Chaos. Why did it have to be primal chaos? At least it was quick.
- Tohru: Tohru... a princess. This is about the same level of discovery as finding out Shinobu Minor was my granddaughter. Not a bad surprise, though.
- Tomos: A credit to Amber's Palace Guards.
- Uo: Needs some smoothing over, but another credit to the guard corps.
- Violet: Hrm. An interesting woman. Good luck with the Ambassadorship.
- Yomiko: *facepalm*
- Yuki: Like the other Soumas, I have not really met him, but I have heard well of him.
- Gideon of Avalon: A creative, interesting man with many depths and who has dealt with much in his life.
- Juri of Avalon: Sister in spirit, if not blood, and near-equal in my heart to my own sister's place. I still think of you fondly, even as our lives have taken different paths across the universes.
- Roderick of Gumi-Amber: A good match for Other-Juri. He was a fine travelling companion, and a good person to know.
- Darako of Avalon: "Two paths diverged in a yellow wood..." I am glad I did not take her path, in the end.
- Cait-Ryoko of Avalon: Consider yourself fortunate that I am a merciful woman -- for if I was truly like the mother you think I resemble, you would be dead now. NEVER cross my path again.
- WOTD-Corrine: She has embraced Wood in a way I never did... and in a way formed a kingdom as potent as Ember's. May Yig stand strong in Arcardia, other-me.
- WOTD-Juri: May your sister give you strength now like mine did for me -- and may you, in turn, support her in her times of need.
- WOTD-Drake: I hope he learned from his errors, like our Drake did. Though from reports, he is a credit to New Chaos, and has done well there.
Current Legal Children
Current Legal Grandchildren
There is some reason to believe that Haruka's five children, if they had all lived to maturity, might have become the Children of
the Elements of that era, with Corrine as the Child of Wood, but this did not come to pass. Corrine's affinity for that Element in general temperment was noteable, in weathering the trials of the affairs of her family, as well as the fact that she served ably (if not excessively standing out) as the Warden of Arden for over 400 years, from 889 AY to 1292 AY. She preferred to stay in the background and avoid the family's power plays, instead trying to smooth over frictions between her half-siblings (with varying levels of success) and providing military support to operations dealing with the south.
However, fate (or destiny) had different plans in mind for Corrine, both in symbology and practicalty, for her inheritence of the Fire Demi-Jewel upon King Gendo's death set the stage for her becoming Queen of Ember, the Kingdom in the Sun during the days of the Annadil Crisis (1292 AY). Realizing all too well that she could not hold both the positions of Warden and Queen, Corrine resigned the Wardenship, passing it on to her neice, Princess Hiko.
It has been noted by those who know the details of Amber's history of Haruka's reign that Queen Corrine's Regent, Marshal, and Commander of the Castle Guard bear striking resemblences to her deceased siblings Catherine, Haruka Minor, and Eowyn. The reason behind this is unknown to most, and Corrine generally does not speak about it. However, she has been known to mutter, on occasion, that her subconcious has an odd sense of humor...
In the World of the Dead (now Arcadia?), that universe's version of Corrine did indeed become the Child of Wood, bearing that universe's Wood Patternblade, Spikard, and the Seed of Hope. That version also ended up becoming one of Hel's Wu-generals for over 500 years, so one might wonder which version of Corrine got the better deal out of life...
Created by Philip Moyer, NPC(?)'d by John Biles.