Champion of Rebma
Handsome and snappily dressed, Derith is a consummate courtier, politician and scholar. He is known to be a grand master of the arts of Pattern, having studied them
intensely under Fuyutsuki. For centuries, he lived in Rebma, avoiding involvement in Amber politics, but after his involvement in the Succession Crisis, he re-entered
Amberite life, commanding the Southern Navy of Amber. While he is no great swordsman, he does carry the blade Greyswandir, one of the legendary Pattern Blades.
It was stolen during the Annadil Crisis, and then vanished into shadow and has not been seen since. Derith was known to have been married to Queen Moire's daughter
Moira at the time when Rebma sank and the Great Whirlpool formed.
Derith's absence during that great crisis was somewhat conspicuous, except for the fact that he was generally absent during most crises. Tensions arose between him
and Tylor, and in an effort to prove his loyalty, he loaned his blade, Greyswandir, to Miki during the disastrous scouting mission to the Keep of the Five Worlds, and it fell
into Annadil's hands. Derith was in Rebma when it sank.
Some rumors claim that Derith betrayed Amber for power, enabling Annadil to take his Pattern Blade, in return for the lore that let him seperate Rebma from this
universe. Others claim to have seen him in shadow near Rebma, trying to warn travellers away and seeking for a way to save his beloved Rebma. A few have seen
him screaming in their dreams as dark shadows try to devour him but are repulsed by a brilliant red light which shines from his head.
Derith is now known to be dead, slain by Taylor D'Arden, the Second Traitor Prince, who he slew in turn, sending the Jewel of Judgement off into the hands of Princess
Jacqueline (for reasons unknown). His son Lucien arrived in Amber right around the time he perished.
Derith is rather dead, but if you called up a Pattern-Ghost for a chat, this is what he might say...
- Fuyutsuki: Grandfather was always kind and respectful to me, and his training has served me well. I do not understand why he chose to exalt Amber above his other creations, but I will not pretend to judge one who has lost so much and without whom Rebma would not exist at all.
- Gendo: You were the most wretched of all fathers, a loathsome man consumed by your lusts and driven to turn Rebma and its peoples into your groveling syncophants, just as you sought to break all of Amber to your will. Nothing has ever pleased me more than to see you die. I hope that wherever your soul resides, it is burning in torment for eternity.
- Sakura of Catala: Any sensible woman would have done what you did. Only the fact that your success would have prevented my own existence keeps me from whole-heartedly approving.
- Yvette of Monde: Slept her way to the top, then died while being a breeding cow. Poetic.
- Haruka of Harad: Like most of Father's wives, she let herself be cowed by him, let her kingdom be enslaved by his. A pathetic, corpulent cow of a woman.
- Rei of Rebma: I know you loved all three of us in your own way, Mother, and I love you as well. I wish you had not shared in my doom.
- Lorelei of Therin: I expect Father drowned you once he tired of you and your petulant, annoying daughter. If he did, I can only commend him.
- Anthy of Gainax: A woman of great power, strangely content to be the submissive slave of a beast of a man for centuries, willing to let other women share his bed without complaint. Pathetic.
- Moire of Rebma: I failed you, your highness. I cannot repay you now, but I acknowledge that I dragged you down to destruction in my effort to protect Rebma.
- Anno of Gainax: You would have done the universe a service if you had gotten a triple abortion.
- Annadil: All that power and you chose to become the grovelling slave of the Outsiders. Such as us are made to rule the 'higher Powers', not to become their cringing submissives. And now you have fallen into their hands, laden with failure. I can hear your screams even now.
- King Tylor: The universe seems to cheat in his favor, while dumping all of the bad luck he's earned on the undeserving. It disgusts me. Still, he was always kind to me.
- Touga: Sadly, your mother in your body was more effective than you were.
- Drake: He needs a few more centuries nailed to a cross in order to understand his place in the universe. Followed by being made into dog food.
- Van: He continues to be exactly the sort of idiot which lead to him dying the first time and having to be replaced with a parallel.
- Saionji: Still the same old completely worthless lecher that he always was, except now he wears a uniform all the time. I would not put him in charge of bringing me a glass of water, for fear he would manage to screw that up.
- Eowyn: A shining example of the fundamental lack of justice in the universe.
- Juri: I have always respected her talents and her intellect, and we share a common disdain for our Father. It seems of late that she has tossed aside intellect and talent in favor of rutting in the dust with her relatives, however, which I can only view with distaste. Still, it does show she has good taste in men, I suppose, if not in women.
- Corrine: Perhaps now she can understand why I loved Rebma so much, and why I was willing to risk so much in order to protect it. She is not a very smart woman, but she works hard, and a person who works hard will accomplish more with small talent than a talented person who is lazy. Best, of course, to combine large amounts of both.
- Makoto: What a complete waste of breath. Krusty adequately fills the role of court jester. Reinvent yourself or get out of the way of others, Makoto.
- Corey: Should have stayed dead.
- Nanami: A complete idiot who wasted her time hating the man who tried to save her, and regretting the death of the one who tried to murder her. Not that I would have cried if she killed Touga, but if you're going to kill someone, you should understand what you're doing, rather than being an idiot about it. She then went on to full-sibling incest, coupled with being a cranky bitch. Telemain should be congratulated for shutting her up.
- Miki: Brother, you have ruled Rebma well. You need, however, to let go of these desires for Juri before they destroy the legitimacy of your reign and create even more potential dangers. One woman should be enough for any man. Still, I love you, brother, and I wish you well. May Rebma flourish under your guidance.
- Kozue: I deeply regret that the fickle finger of chance rose up and smote you down. I regret even more what happened to you with Mikage's construct. For all that you have the sexual self-control of a rabbit in heat, you are my sister, and I love you even when you seem determined to be an idiot. Still, you yet live and can win survival. And tomorrow, as they say, is another day.
- Utena: She remains an idealistic simpleton who thinks all problems can be solved with a smile and a pat on the head. She made a perfect puppet for Annadil.
- Wakaba: Her vacant smile matches her empty head.
- Vash: Perhaps he will grow up to be less stupid this time. Perhaps the Pattern will grow wings and sing every morning, too.
- Ynell: I understand why you did what you did, but it would have done Rebma little good to be free of Amber only to become slaves to the Outsiders instead.
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: I have the utmost respect for her skills, talent, dedication, and character, though I reget she chose to apply it to the service of the nation which has always oppressed her homeland. I suppose the temptation to join the winner is very hard to resist, however.
- Suu: She hides a brilliant mind behind a very skillful front of being a wiggly idiot.
- The Red Knight: There are few things more steadfast than the love of a Pattern Knight. Integrity and honor and dedication are ingrained in them by their very nature. I can see why Corrine married hers.
- Nabiki: A woman worthy of something far better than Drake, for all that she is a gold-digger.
- Tsuwabuki: A man of great military talent and skill, though his taste in women was abominable and he apparently never realized his wife regularly cuckolded him. Or, then again, perhaps he liked it like that.
- Madoka: It is not your fault that my brother has fallen into the same sort of trap as my sister did. You are a good, honest woman. It may require you to beat Miki in the head a few times, but he will come around, once the hormones fade. I regret that you had to suffer this.
- Moira: I failed you, my love, and I will always regret it. Please forgive me.
The TAMD Generation
- Hiko: Delusional, violent, poor-self control, lustful, and destructive. She was not a human being, but a shadow storm with breasts. She was a wretched mother who produced an equally wretched child, and the one good thing I can say of her is that she managed to blow up her ignorant child with her. She leaves no legacy, and let us be glad for that.
- Keiko: I admire the burning drive which enabled her to drag herself up to an entirely new level of being through her hard work and her willingness to exploit opportunities. I disdain her shallowness and concern with material gratification. When you possess the Pattern, it is no longer necessary to worry about accumulating wealth; you can have infinite wealth and goods with but a flick of the wrist or a short trip. What a waste.
- Michelle: There is nothing sadder than to watch a once noble and dignified woman slowly degenerate into an ignorant, self-indulgent slut. Once she transcended her father in grace, now she has transcended even Father in lack of it.
- Mikage: An arrogant, obnoxious bastard who left a giant bomb lying around to go off when he died. I wish only that Telemain had managed to blow him up so thoroughly that it would have somehow killed him before he ever made that damnable construct. If there is truly an afterlife, I hope you are roasting slowly over a fire between bouts of being devoured alive by sharks.
- Nagisa: He is a kind soul who has great power that he doesn't do much useful with. I regret his feud with my son, as it hurt them and the cause of Rebma to no purpose.
- Ramon: His tiny brain and strong muscles have always made him a perfect pawn for whoever comes along and gives him some purpose. That is Keiko's job now, I suppose. Still, I do admire his dedication, even if the utility of strength pales before that of the mind.
- Shaft: An ignorant gorilla of a man. The fact that he was murdered by his own ill-begotten spawn does not surprise me at all and inclines me to think there are moments of justice after all.
- Shinobu Major: A worthy goal, but you were laid low by the idiocy of others. Symbolic, I fear.
- Shizumaru: A man who truly loved his wife would do more about those who denigrate and insult her. Take action or be forever mocked.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Atsuko: The source of the rotten worms which have replaced Michelle's morals.
- Damask: I expect that he has delved too deep and released things which should have been left to lie. Or perhaps he is merely a raving nutcase.
- The Green Knight: He apparently spent centuries in isolation, waiting for the worst possible choice of lovers to come along, so as to produce the most wretched child of power he possibly could. I fail to see the logic of this.
- Gabrielle: She is what she is made to be, for good and ill.
- Inaba: This what comes of submission to the Powers.
- Rimururu: Her rage is justified, yet impotent. I would have far more respect for her if she did something besides whining.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: A kindly man led astray by his failure to understand the universe is not a shiny, bright place and that you have to understand others before you can hope to deal with them.
- Demetrius: A gullible idiot who seems to share in Tylor's remarkable luck. Probably his brain has been damaged from too much delving into the mysteries of the Abyss.
- Jacqueline: Wretched murdering madwoman. You should have been strangled in the cradle. Your madness taints Arcadia's Sigil of Order, damning it to be nothing but a mockery of all that is right, a sty in which pigs wallow. Vermin.
- Kanna: It is probably quite poetically appropriate that someone so foolish loved someone even stupider.
- Kentaro: What a waste of the blood of Amber in him. Useless.
- Kuonji: A man of great cunning and erudition, though he eventually rose to his level of incompetence. Still, I have great respect for his talents.
- Lian: I suppose for her next trick, she was going to try to skin an Amberite Prince and walk the Pattern wearing his skin in the hopes of fooling it. What an ignorant fool.
- Lucien: You saw for yourself how little the Amberite Royal Family thinks of Rebma. I regret your death, left to die without help as you were. I wish I could have been there for you, but it was not to be. Still, your feud with Nagisa was unwise and unnecessary.
- Moonshade: Useful so long as you remember to tell her what to do.
- Morgan: What a complete waste of the Blood of Amber. Thankfully, she exploded before she could do more damage.
- Moriya: Relying on your body instead of your mind will always lead you into places you cannot get out of. Moriya provides a graphic example of this. His stupidity, I hope, will serve as a lesson and warning to others.
- Motoko: One has to expect mental degeneration to take place when one is constantly exposed to the energies of the God of Chaos. This is why it is unwise to make yourself a slave of the Gods, no matter what they offer you.
- Mutsumi: Apparently the main qualification for ruling Arcadia is to have a hyper-active sex drive. I suppose she makes a good concubine.
- Naru: A woman who combines intellect with physical prowness in a quite impressive way. She is unwise to rely so much on the lore of the Elder Gods, however, they did, after all, lose and lose heavily to the Outsiders.
- Nausicaa: Hard to believe she was Mikage's daughter. She was an excellent diplomat, though not useful for much else. Still, diplomats do have their place.
- Shinobu Minor: It is a pity to see someone who had great potential waste it on becoming a warrior bimbo. Still, her record is fairly good as warriors bimbos go, I suppose.
- Sumire: A woman of refinement and intellect, if a little too much temper. It is a pity that she is going to be forced to marry something only slightly more evolved than a monkey. Possibly more evolved than a monkey.
- Thoric: It is a sad thing when being a lech and a coward is a step UP from one's parents. And when one is still the best of the Triumvirate despite that. I can only imagine how much of an inbred degenerate his new child will be. Still, he has accomplished more in a century and a half than his mother and grandfather combined, which says something.
- Vice: It is unwise to keep a rabid wolverine in your house, no matter how securely you think you have leashed it. I have great respect for her skills, and that respect tells me the only way she will ever be defanged is if she is very, very dead. Then again, Tylor would probably try to calm a rabid wolverine by petting it and trying to rub noses with it, so this shouldn't really surprise me.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: His ascent to influence is dragging House Belgalad down into the dirt. Not that it had very far to go.
- Kaede: He fought well, for what that was worth.
- Lily: About what one would expect of the daughter of a glorified whore.
- Mitsune: I expect if Motoko dies, she'll find another bed to serve as her base of operations within a few weeks.
- Ruka: A competent naval commander and man of skill who is far more intelligent than his wife.
- Aburatsubo: A graceful, polite man who has yet to live up to his potential, but at least does not run around causing trouble and pointless death. His taste in men needs a lot of work.
- Akari: This sort of thing is exactly how Jacqueline began her reign of terror. If she ends up in charge of something primal instead of dead in a ditch, I will be very disappointed.
- Anya: It's bad enough when Drake mouths off; it's far worse when a relative infant with an inflated sense of her value feels she can freely insult everyone in sight, then go 'oops, ain't I cute?' Sadly, this is still a step up from the REST of Motoko's children.
- Asuka: Celephais is the shadow of a failed civilization, child, and so far as you tie yourself to it, you chain yourself to a legacy of failure and defeat.
- Chloe: I begin to wonder if Kozue is like those squirrels who bury their nuts for the winter, then forget where they hid them. Once was foolish, twice was stupid beyond measure. Still, if she had to hand her daughter off to shadow people so that the first wandering idiot to come along could turn her daughter into a puppet, at least her puppet-daughter ended up reasonably competent and polite, if a fool. One would think she might have remembered the Taylors and the possibility of Chloe being turned into a blood-factory, but no...
- Deirdre: If I was King, you would be cleaning the palace floors with your tongue right now. If I felt merciful. You are a useless, directionless waste of royal blood, who after spending a century diddling yourself, have manage to cap your worthlessness with a pointless, nigh-suicidal act of defiance against two of the men most able to hunt and kill you like a dog. For all that your brother is a complete manwhore, he has never been THAT stupid.
- Hanajima: There is a place for each of us, Hanajima, where we belong, where we feel complete. You must find it, before your emptiness devours you. That would be a waste.
- Haru: His basic principles are good, but his execution has been somewhat lacking. The problem, you see, is the failure to realize that both sides of the equation are not equal.
- Jewel: Why is the child of a patricidal madwoman and the Logrus being allowed to run loose?
- Kanako: Those who dabble in the lore of the Outsiders will eventually be destroyed by it. The darkness is rising to engulf her, and I expect nothing can stop it. Nor will it be any great loss.
- Kaname: She has great potential, though she should study more of the arts of Pattern if she wishes to be truly great.
- Katherine: I see Grandfather is trying to be funny again.
- Kurz: Apparently the Ten Swords are accepting people based on the shininess of their ass these days.
- Kyou: If you think you have suffered, cursed fool, then you do not even begin to understand the human potential for pain.
- Makoto: Your pathetic craving for a failed king grates. Your willingness to sit back while your siblings mindlessly rampage grates. The fact that you are nevertheless the best Arcadia has to offer grates. You should never have existed
- Melissa: I begin to think the Ten Swords have been turned into a musical troupe instead of a group of elite warriors.
- Minako: I suppose, in theory, someone could be stupider than Minako, but I can't see how. Vast power with no intellect at all. She's like a living nuclear weapon multipled by a thousand. And she's the heir. I give Arcadia 3 months to live if she ever takes the throne.
- Miroku: There is more to life than the pursuit of sex, but not to his life.
- Allen von Munchausen: He dimly grasps truths which hover beyond his grasp, in part because of his natural state of constant hallucination.
- Nanami Minor: A miserable failed experiment, and a demonstration that Nanami would have ended up a cranky bitch regardless of her upbringing. Some people will make themselves miserable no matter what you do. Nature trumps nurture, it would seem. Though possibly Anthy screwed up the process of bringing her over, which would not surprise me at all. I expect she will end her existence as someone's toy, trying to take revenge for things which never actually happened and wouldn't be worth avenging anyway. A waste.
- Nanbara: Total arrogance combined with total incompetence; I am surprised he lasted this long.
- Orien: A wastrel who is weak of mind and short on accomplishments.
- Ota Minor: A rampaging, demented freak who should have been killed by now before he could kill anyone else.
- Random: The tainted spawn of a vile experiment. Already she is dragging Juri down into the muck, and I expect she will try to take Miki and Madoka with her. If we are lucky, she'll merely end up an immortal drug addict in a gutter somewhere.
- Setsuna: I begin to wonder if his other parent was an insane geometric shape.
- Shigure: He is mostly useless, but not actively malevolent.
- Shiori: What sort of person in their right mind goes into the Abyss in order to save _Vash_? If you wish to commit suicide, there are easier ways. Still, she made it out alive, which is to her credit. This will probably simply encourage her to go back for even stupider reasons, though.
- Sousuke: A good soldier has many uses, and compared to his companions, he is a shining pillar of light. Kaname will need a good Marshal one day.
- Suzuka: Too soon to judge, but given her heritage, I expect she will be sleeping with multiple relatives and generally carrying on like gutter scum in no time.
- Telemain: He had far greater potential than either of his parents before he decided to eat a huge bowlful of Primal Chaos. At least he took Mikage and Nanami with him.
- Tohru: I don't get mad, I get even.
- Tomos: The bad example of the royal family begins to infect the hired help, I see.
- Uo: She would have learned to shut up by now if she was beaten every time she mouthed off to a royal as if she was something better than a commoner. Administering regular beatings to Uotani is probably the most productive thing Nanami Minor has done with her life.
- Violet: You can almost forget her mother was a whore, and she has a certain low, animal cunning. She also wants to kill Jewel, which is something I can definitely commend. With time, she may make something of herself.
- Yomiko: She should be in the dungeons, working on acquiring body rot, by now, after all she's done. Though admittedly, at least she is the least whorish of her siblings.
- Yuki: He should find a better wagon to tie his star to than a badly done, cranky and self-destructive copy of someone who wasn't very good to begin with.
Created by Jeff Hosmer for the Amber Throne War which begat this universe...