Captain Special Agent Hanajima, Good Witch and Mistress of the 'Air Wave'
My air wave informs me that you are here to assassinate the Kashfan ambassador. It would have been advisable for you to have stayed home instead. I would advise that you not reach for the wand you believe is concealed in your boot and that you instead surrender before I have to use force."
"She stood, smiling a soft enigmatic smile, on the ramparts of a great palace carven of emerald and jade, a black witch's hat perched jauntily atop her long dark green wavy hair, which spilled down freely around her shoulders and chest and back. Her dark blue-green eyes were large and deep, eyes you could drown yourself in, which showed everything, but revealed nothing. One could hardly see the top of her elegant black and green dress, though one could easily see the long green gloves, trimmed with black which she wore. A broom poked up from below the ramparts next to her. High above her, the clouds moved subtly, forming shapes whose meaning lingered at the edge of your perception, but just beyond your reach. But not beyond hers."
Hanajima was born a few days before Spring Equinox, 1333, the child of barrel-makers. She had a natural knack for magic, and acquired books from which she learned the rudiments by the age of 12. Her parents decided she ought to soon be married to someone to 'keep her in check'. Disliking the idea, she ran away to join Uotani's girl gang. When, in 1349, Ramon recruited Uo, Hanajima joined the guards as well.
Hanajima stunned her initial swordmaster by beating him in combat the first time he sparred with her. Tested for psychic strength, she gave Keiko a good fight before Keiko won. She trained with Anthy, who took her on as a protege, causing much jealousy among other magi of the Castle Guards. Over the years which followed, Hanajima is known to have trained with Mikage, Eowyn,
Anthy, and Nausicaa. During this time, she and Uotani became very close to Tomos, who joined the guard in 1356.
In 1368, Anthy took Hanajima into shadow, then returned without her, informing Misato that Hanajima was continuing special training in shadow. Hanajima returned four years later, just in time to help Fuyutsuki, Anthy, Nausicaa, Eowyn, Yumi, Motoko, and Davros rebuild the Shadow Theatre. Rumors circulated of a massive sex rite held by them there, but the rumors were squashed when Fuyutsuki 'accidentally' leads a herd of rampaging elephants through the streets of Amber City, squashing the eight bookstalls selling supposedly true accounts of the rite, then publishes his own book, 'The True Story of How We Rebuilt the Shadow Theatre'. While no one who reads the book seems to remember anything it said, they all come away convinced it was completely innocent.
In 1385, she became a Captain Special Agent, and has since served the Crown in many ways. This included joining Ramon and Keiko's trip to Wroland in 1395, where she assisted in defending them from the assassins, and was instrumental in uncovering certain of their motivations.
Between 1410 and 1420, she took a leave of absence and went into shadow. She returned, seeming rather more frozen over than when she left. She has since gradually returned to her previous state of detached amusement.
Personality and Aptitudes
Hanajima usually projects an attitude of cool detachment and slight amusement. She usually is smiling slightly, but her eyes usually don't hold much warmth. She is polite to everyone, and it is hard to tell what she really thinks.
While not the physical type, and preferring to solve problems with her powers, Hanajima can be quite brave in the performance of her duties, and rarely ever complains when things go wrong or more is expected of her than she bargains for.
Hanajima is quietly very loyal to the Crown of Amber, but typically only expresses it when dealing with traitors and criminals.
Hanajima has no temper at all, but does sometimes levy judgement on fools with a sharp tongue, though always in her usual calm tone of voice.
Hanajima has been noted to warm up slightly in the presence of certain people; those of her generation can be inferred from the reaction list, but of the older generations, she seems to respond best to: Queen Anthy, King Tylor, Beowulf, Nausicaa, Ramon, and Corrine.
Hanajima is better with a sword than the average sorceress or castle guardsman, but is ripe wheat for the thresher of the true swords expert. While Hanajima can take a punch in the face from Nanami Minor and not fall down, she can't take two, and she's not very impressive in strength. Her mind, on the other hand, is quite potent. Only Yomiko is definitely stronger; it remains debatable as to whether Kaname, herself, or Kanako is stronger of mind.
She is quite adept in the powers of Broken Pattern, and has a mastery of the wind which is unmatched. Her magical skills are nothing to sneeze at. And it's rumored she can establish psychic contact with anything she can see, without requiring eye contact, magic, or flesh-to-flesh touch.
Hana-chan puts a lot of importance on the responsible use of power. This is what distinguishes a good witch from a bad witch, you see. And she's trying her best to be a good witch.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: A good warlock.
- Gendo: Rest from your labors, King Gendo. You served your nation well.
- Anthy: A very good witch. Triumphant witch, too.
- King Tylor: I envy him his peace.
- Touga: Desperate times call for bold measures and bold men. I hope he will ride the whirlwind and not be ridden by it.
- Drake: Just because you CAN do something does not mean it is wise to do so.
- Van: He understands that family is something you have to make.
- Saionji: He has his reasons.
- Eowyn: A reminder of why I have never had children.
- Juri: As I think about it, perhaps she could give Arisa some good advice.
- Corrine: Only now, I think, does she truly begin to understand what she has gotten into.
- Makoto: Turn and wake, while you can.
- Corey: An idiot. But Amber's idiot.
- Nanami: A good witch. I will mourn her death. May you find peace, Princess.
- Miki: Find your peace again, before it is too late.
- Kozue: What a waste.
- Utena: I understand, Princess Utena. I understand.
- Wakaba: Her ability to keep smiling amazes me.
- Vash: Thankfully, he is safe.
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: She is the sun to Tylor's moon.
- Suu: Her experiments are most insightful, but I will never come near them if I can help it.
- The Red Knight: Luckier than the Green Knight.
- Nabiki: She would probably be advised to give her husband the ocassional kick in the pants.
- Tsuwabuki: A good, hard-working man.
- Madoka: Sometimes, the fire burns too high and too fast.
The TAMD Generation
- Keiko: I owe her much; perhaps one day, I will be able to repay her.
- Michelle: A pity her strengths are seen so rarely.
- Mikage: I will never be able to repay what I owe you. I am sorry to see you go, Prince Mikage.
- Nagisa: Poor man.
- Ramon: He has been like a father to Uotani, for which I am very grateful.
- Shinobu Major: Her blind rage has finally destroyed her.
- Shizumaru: Good luck, Prince.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Damask: His dream continues.
- Atsuko: As does hers.
- Gabrielle: All the wonders of creation.
- Inaba: Worse than I thought.
- Rimururu: Perhaps she will finally move on.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: It is too easy to hide from the pain. Do not make my mistake.
- Demetrius: He seems to have quite a streak of luck.
- Jacqueline: Kind and gentle, yet no common sense.
- Kanna: Strengthen your mind, before you become a tool again.
- Kentaro: They also serve who only stand and attract enemy fire. As recently demonstrated.
- Kuonji: Even my air wave is confused by her.
- Moonshade: She has two faces; fortunately, they are both good ones.
- Motoko: Another example of how hard it is to be a mother.
- Mutsumi: I greatly enjoy her company.
- Naru: She will spring back quickly.
- Nausicaa: I will miss you, my friend.
- Shinobu Minor: She made Mutsumi a happy woman, though perhaps that was not her intent.
- Sumire: She becomes ever more like her father.
- Thoric: Is it good to be the King?
- Vice: I am surprised, and very grateful. I do not forget.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: A good man, though regretfully, few seem to actually get his point.
- Kaede: May you find peace together, Kaede.
- Lily: A good woman, though I rarely see her.
- Mitsune: She is so full of life.
- Ruka: He does his duty.
- Aburatsubo: I know all about sorrow behind a smile.
- Akari: The question now is how large her harem will be.
- Anya: Potential as yet unfocused.
- Asuka: How are your sword-chucks today, Princess Asuka?
- Chloe: I sorrow for her; her pain must dwarf most of that which I have known.
- Deirdre: She makes a lovely vampiress and seems to have it more together.
- Haru: His luck has been ill of late.
- Jewel: We shall see who is the mistake. Soon.
- Kanako: A strangely fitting fate.
- Kaname: Infinitely luckier than her parents.
- Katherine: I wonder how many of them she is sleeping with. All three, I think.
- Kurz: Kurz, you would have been better off mating with flesh-eating piranha or a praying mantis or black widow. I hope this will not destroy you.
- Kyou: Definitely some potential.
- Makoto: I greatly enjoyed her company.
- Melissa: She should sing more often.
- Minako: The more I hear, the more I am sure she should have been kept in the box.
- Miroku: He is what he is, Arisa. You can live with it or move on, but bashing your head against the wall won't work.
- Allen von Munchausen: There is indeed strength in paradox, Munchausen. Unfortunately, your recent mission was about stupidity rather than paradox.
- Nanami Minor: I think she has finally found the road out of her pit, for which I am glad. We have much to learn from each other as friends.
- Nanbara: Sometimes, potential is hidden.
- Orien: I should have known the quiet sea hid deep currents. Hopefully, he will succumb to Aburatsubo's charms before the poor boy explodes.
- Ota Minor: There is something to be said for the man; he has kept his nose clean when many around him have not.
- Random: I cannot envy her her place in life as I once sometimes did.
- Setsuna: He would make a good Serpentologist.
- Shigure: Run while you still can.
- Shiori: Hmmm.
- Sousuke: His efforts to work for peace speak well of him.
- Suzuka: Useful, if carefully leashed.
- Telemain: Prince Telemain, you were an intelligent man who understood the value of knowledge. I will mourn you, and the wind will whisper your name.
- Tohru: We will find you a way out. I promise you that, my friend.
- Tomos: I know I am safe when he is here.
- Uo: While I cannot say he does not need some mocking, there is such a thing as going too far.
- Violet: I would be cautious too in her position.
- Yomiko: If you are lucky, they will merely assign you to clean the floor with your tongue.
- Yuki: Did you imagine all this, those years ago when first you came to Amber? Neither did I.
She has a broom which she flies around on. Really.
She also has ruby slippers which take you places when you click the heels three times.
Hanajima recently helped uncover the Therinese Mason conspiracy and helped bring the Wind Dragon to Amber.
She has also helped hunt down the source of the recent assassination attempt on Keitaro. She has also acted as a bodyguard for Babyland.
Hanajima has gone on to become one of the sexy vampiress infiltrators of Uberwald. WHICH NEVER ENDS.
She has visited the Oracle of Adelphi and begun to collect the pieces of her soul.