Kanako, Many-Faced Daughter of Motoko and Loewen. (Dead)
- o/~ Woke up in an awful state
- Dreamt I was at Peter's Gate
- Beggin' for his mercy
- And the crimes that were at hand
- He told me he was much amused
- To see this life I had abused
- Best be on your way but have a drink before you go o/~
"The building was... strange. Not greyscale, but not as it should be either; Nemuro Hall was drab and gothic on the outside, but was not this dirty, bone-colored edifice with ugly, staring windows inked in reddish-brown. They seemed to bleed around the edges, and I wondered at the license the artist had taken; especially in the foreground, where Kanako, arms bare, looked sadly at me over her shoulder; she was fuzzed into blurriness, and held herself strangely. The card made me uneasy to look at, or even hold. "
Kanako, along with her twin brother Nanbara, was born in the aftermath of the holy ritual of the Sacred Flame which healed Loewen of his horrible, life-threatening burns.
A restive, quiet, and disturbing child, she was very easily distracted in her early youth, thought this problem cleared up over time after a few incidents of some concern. This was followed by an incident of even GREATER concern, when she wandered off and walked the Logrus at the age of nine.
What followed was a long, involved, and arduous formal education; Kanako was packed off to Ohtori two years before one normally attends (as much to curtail her Logrus use as anything else) followed by an extended tenure (including some postgraduate work) at the Great School of Magic. During this period both her shapeshifting talents and her predilection for impersonating others surfaced, as she spent most of her freshman year at the GSOM joining forces with Deirdre to utterly screw with Miroku's head. She also somewhat co-opted Mitsune's Abyss Kitten, Blackie, who became her regular companion. Whether Blackie actually talks or Kanako is merely good at ventriloquism remains unknown.
Upon her return to Chaos, Kanako poured herself into training with Anno, Keeper of the Logrus, and others, perfecting her Logrus and Shapeshift skills to an amazing degree. She also established herself as one of the most skilled imitators to ever come out of Chaos; her year as Random, in particular, is spoken of in quiet awe. Her tutors in House Suroth were very impressed.
Kanako also became very, very close with Yomiko at this time, the two of them and Blackie often seen in each others company. She was not amused with Miroku after the 'Yomiko the Librarian Hussy' incident.
Kanako returned to Amber with Yomiko in the early fourteen-hundreds, spending a decade there with her relations.
It was recently revealed that the Cave of Worlds tried to eat her in 1415, leading to her seventeen-year absence from the universe in general. The cause of this remains unknown.
Kanako is currently lacking a conventional body, having been sucked into Nemuro Hall (now 'Kanako Hall') following a series of blunders and missteps on the part of herself and many others. She is currently seeking a new meatsack while resorting to friends and agents to manage her business in the wider world.
Due to the Logruswrack, Kanako is now completely dead. Her soul spent a short, unpleasant stint in the hands of the Outsiders, having been taken by them after her death during the 'wrack. However, thanks to the labors of her sister Suzuka and her cousins Random and Akari and many, many other people, her soul has been rescued and passed on to the Halls of Mandos.
Personality and Aptitudes
Kanako presents a somewhat bitter, sarcastc face to the outside world; while she generally presents the same icy exterior as Hanajima, she betrays a greater range of facial expresions and tones of voice than the Good Witch, especially when angry, annoyed, or amused. It generally takes Blackie or Yomiko to make her genuinely smile, though Deirdre can do it as well, and Nanbara often amuses her to the point she can't help it (she denies this.)
If it's done with the Logrus or involves the mind and aura aspects of shapeshift, Kanako is very, very good at it. She also has demonstrated an efficacy for using magic to back up her skills with the Logrus. Her mind is quite potent, only definitively outclassed in her generation by Yomiko's, though she is unlikely to go head-to-head with Kaname or Hanajima anytime soon. Her unarmed fighting abilities are respectable, though nowhere near the levels of people such as Minor or Uotani, and it's unwise to hand her a sword unless things have gotten desperate.
Kanako does not get along with many people, needless to say, though she's on particularly poor terms with her brother, Nanbara. The term 'sibling rivalry' would be quite accurate if they actually deigned to compete with each other at anything. She has also been on particularly poor terms with Davros for quite some time, and is slightly closer to her father than her mother, though this may rapidly change given Loewen's recent decision to arrange a marriage for her coupled with her current unfortunate incarceration within a Construct. Her relationship with Suzuka is currently in flux as they both adapt to new roles, and she gets along tolerably well with her pseudo-siblings, especially Deirdre, who she makes somethig of an effort to get along with.
Her opinions on the Quartet and Triumvirate, if she has any, remain unknown to any but herself.
Reactions to others:
- Anno: "I was very honored to serve under Master Anno."
- Atleby: "Posesses impeccable timing and talent for improvisation."
- Cho: "Kurz' mother must have been an astonishingly temperate woman."
- Hoji: "He has made himself into his role."
- Kodachi: "A fine woman."
- Loewen: "Don't you dare judge me. I knew what you'd done to Malcom. And if you think I will roll over and be sold to the Soumas, that is one more thing you are wrong about."
- Mataka: "Disturbing. Melissa does not look like me, for which I am glad."
- Usui: "Is he still alive?"
- Yuki: "If there were ever a Bust Yuki, she would be frozen in a block of ice and floating downriver before the day were out."
- Fuyutsuki: "Method, method, method to it, sir."
- Gendo: "Controversial."
- Anthy: "Hmm. Not as all-perceiving as once I thought."
- Tylor: "I did not think much of him when I was young, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding."
- Touga: "Cunning, devious, powerful, and polite. Very polite. Up to something."
- Drake: "Has either stupidly misjudged his daughter or has a wheel within the wheel. I suspect the latter but fear the former."
- Van: "His bravado will be the death of him."
- Saionji: "Competent. Barely."
- Eowyn: "Smarter than she acts."
- Juri: "Not very wise."
- Corrine: "Overly... affectionate, but means well by it."
- Makoto: "Time to step up. PAST time."
- Nanami: "Missed."
- Miki: "Grah."
- Kozue: "Hmm..."
- Utena: "When she hands over Justice, my family will breath a collective sigh of relief."
- Wakaba: "I am told she held me once, briefly, when I was an infant. She probably has the spot where she will put the knife chosen."
- Vash: "I cannot understand him at all. Vexing."
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: "A fine administrator. Hoji speaks highly of her."
- Suu: "Lives life to the fullest. Often to excess, however."
- The Red Knight: "Rock-steady."
- Nabiki: "Oh. Yes. Drake is married, isn't he."
- Tsuwabuki: "Great-grandfather has a good head on his shoulders."
- Madoka: "In need of both counselling and anger-management."
The TAMD Generation
- Keiko: "If not Makoto then you. Grandfather lacks the steel for it."
- Michelle: "I see why she chose the path she did, but it was still the easy way out."
- Mikage: "Gone, but not forgotten."
- Nagisa: "A head full of water."
- Ramon: "Grandfather is the most genuinely nice man I have ever known."
- Shinobu Major: "The difference between genuine intellect and low animal cunning can take years to out itself."
- Shizumaru: "I would have vastly more sympathy had he not decided to poison his daughter against most of my family."
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Damask: "There is some real talent underneath that shell of... of... hm. Adjectives fail me."
- Atsuko: "Extremely laid-back."
- Gabrielle: "She and Nagisa are an excellent match. I also like her machine for the burning of things which have already been burned once."
- Inaba: "Wh- oh. Yes. What about him?"
- Rimururu: "She should either stop whining and do something or make her peace with the situation."
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: "I owe him one."
- Demetrius: "Master of a dangerous and potent art."
- Jacqueline: "Never met her, and suspect I never will."
- Kanna: "Large and cheerful."
- Kentaro: "I avoid him for entirely non-personal reasons."
- Kuonji: "Enigmatic. How fun."
- Moonshade: "In the middle of several awkward situations. Handling herself well."
- Motoko: "Much more understanding than I thought she would be, possibly as a result of the law of unintended conequences using her as an example. I remain... grateful, however."
- Mutsumi: "More there than meets the eye, and much that would not please it if it did."
- Naru: "Strong and smart."
- Nausicaa: "Surprised me twice in a row."
- Shinobu Minor: "The Aesir upbringing shows strongly."
- Sumire: "Great-grandmother mixed with Drake."
- Thoric: "Take good care of my brother."
- Vice: "Has proven she is in this for the long haul. People continue to demonstrate they could care less."
Spouses of the UNS Generation
- Davros: "*mutter*"
- Kaede: "Direct to the end."
- Keitaro: "He gave me a photo sticker once."
- Lily: "She must shapeshift herself not to get cold."
- Mitsune: "Most potent. I will never attain her level of mastery, but may eventually surpass her in a specialized area. I do wonder at possibilities inherent in my current... position..."
- Ruka: "Interesting forelock."
- Aburatsubo: "Cheerful. Kind. Needs to be more careful of the company he keeps."
- Akari: "Hnn."
- Asuka: "There are things her sword cannot pierce. She would do well to remember that."
- Anya: "Born under a bad sign and raised under a worse one, but seems happy and a good person. I am glad to be her sister."
- Chloe: "A hatter rather than a loon."
- Deirdre: "If you need a place to hide out, my door is always open."
- Hanajima: "She has a better hat. But I have a cat."
- Haru: "His father's son. In more ways than one."
- Jewel: "Father needs to massively increase his security."
- Kaname: "Posseses unexpected reservoirs of coping skills."
- Kurz: "Exactly as he appears. Refreshing."
- Kyou: "Like a weeble. Down, up, down, up. And nearly as bright."
- Makoto: "Yes, I will have a cookie. Thank you."
- Melissa: "I am glad Sousuke has someone intelligent to tell him what to do."
- Miroku: "Relies overmuch on questionable insights."
- Minako: "Bears watching."
- Momiji: "Mmm. No."
- Munchausen: "Fool."
- Nanami Minor: "More Harad than Belgalad. I haveheard she is seeing someone; my sympathies go out to them."
- Nanbara: "You are welcome to try being a building."
- Orien: "Ahhhhh. Clever. Maybe too clever."
- Ota Minor: "Hnn."
- Random: "Stop whining. This is not forever and I do not require anything particularly onerous of you. I remain patient with you at Suzuka's behest."
- Setsuna: "I underestimated."
- Shigure: "Either the most normal or most repressed member of House Souma."
- Shiori: "She wears her uniform well."
- Sousuke: "I often wonder if he would wind down and stop if Father stopped giving him orders. But a good brother."
- Suzuka: "The sister I do have. Your turn."
- Telemain: "Incompetent lackwit."
- Tohru: "Too nice for her own good. I tried, but Mother, as always, knew better."
- Tomos: "Everybody thinks he is suicidal. Yet, he still lives. Though possibly not for very much longer should he exercise continuing poor judgement with regard to my kin."
- Uo: "Corey, born a woman."
- Violet: "Elegant. Graceful. Charming. Deadly."
- Yomiko: "The sister I never had."
- Yuki: "Faster, stronger, and smarter than his brother."
Kanako doesn't have any items of especial note aside from an array of ribbons and bells she racks spells in, which she ties on her clothing and on Blackie. Oh, and she's a building now.