Special Agent of Ember and Occasional Regent
- o/~"Walking like a man
- hitting like a hammer
- she's a juvenile scam.
- Never was a quitter,
- tasty like a raindrop,
- She's got the look..." o/~
- -- Roxette, Look Sharp!
Kanna is Corrine's first true daughter, which makes her the Crown
Princess of Ember. She is quite possibly the biggest member of the
family, a mountain of a woman who is most of the times cheerful and
easygoing, preferring it to the alternative which would be brooding
surliness. Her mood does not darken easily, save when injustice is
encountered -- at which point she is more than willing to wade in and kick
butt. Given her temperment and various skills, she acts as the Special
Agent of Ember, serving as the Queen's eyes and ears across Reality and
Kanna by her nature is a gregarious, outgoing individual with a strong
thoughtful streak -- she prefers life to be uncomplicated, but is willing
to have second thoughts and probe deeper into the mysteries that shape her
world. She tends to be honest about her feelings, and expect others to be
open and honest about them as well (save for those who are clearly up to
no good, whom she tends to either ignore or lock up in jail).
If anything, Kanna's honesty about life is both her greatest strength and
greatest flaw -- she has been burned or tricked on more than one occasion
by those seeking to decieve her. However, as she is quick to point out,
"Sometimes the only way to learn is to attend the School of Hard Knocks",
and she is no longer so easily fooled as she was in her youth.
Kanna's love life has been practically mundane in comparison to the rest
of the royal family's. She had a few flings when she was growing up in
Amber and Ember, but nothing serious until the Herald Crisis, where the
friendship she had with Captain Ruka Tsuchiya turned to Love. She also
had an unexpected interest in Lian of Amber and Avalon, which was
returned, that had developed over their various adventures during the
Crisis, but Lian committed effective suicide in the Abyss before anything
could come of it.
Kanna is strongly loyal to her immediate family and friends, and openly
friendly to the rest of the family as well. She does not turn sour
towards a person easily -- however, on the rare occasions this happens, it
generally takes a long time for a person to get back into her good graces
(if they even desire to make the effort to regain it).
Kanna is one of the more competant hand-to-hand fighters in the family;
while perhaps no longer at the pinnacle of strength (that quality is
reserved for Ramon, Nanami Minor, Uotani, etc), she is capable of
balancing out her unarmed combat skills with a reasonable amount of
tactical and armed combat acumen, which can make up the difference. She
is also pretty damn tough -- she may not be as tough as Corey or Van, but
she can usually last through a serious fight even with serious damage done
to her. Just be sure to have a healer on hand immediately afterwards.
She has a great love of sports, especially basketball; she and Utena and
Ramon and Tylor can often be found playing pickup games in the castle
courtyard. She is a skilled dancer as well, despite her size, and to see
Kanna and Ruka dancing together can take one's breath away.
Kanna's skills also extend beyond the physical. Although she is about
average in the arts of the mind, Kanna is rather skilled in in advanced
uses of the Pattern, refined over her travels over the years across Shadow
for the crowns. She is a skilled painter, and various of her landscapes
and portraits hang in the various castles and the Museum of Shadow,
illustrating the events of the Herald Crisis and the decades following it.
Despite her protestations to the contrary, Kanna is a pretty good leader
and diplomat when she focusses on the issues at hand. Queen Corrine has
been grooming her daughter for the leadership role, since she is the Crown
Princess of Ember, and it shows.
Kanna used to actively pursue an interest in Geneology, though this has
tapered off in recent years. While she still keeps in touch with various
contacts, the current nigh-non-euclidean twists in the Royal Family's
Family Tree sometimes causes her to twitch and wonder if it's really worth
Kanna Across the Campaigns
Kanna grew up primarily in Ember; however, she received signifigant
training from Ramon and Utena in Amber, and served as a Ranger in Arden
during her teenage years. Afterwards, she walked the Fire Pattern and
began carrying out missions for Ember and Amber across Shadow.
During the Herald Crisis, Kanna fought in various missions to take down
the Outsider Herald Candidates, their Constructs, and the plague of the
Blood-Tylors with great success. She also played a key part in the defeat
of the Serpent's Horn terrorist group at Daffyl's Tower, which led to
Daffyl's healing and the capture of Eowyn.
Also during the Crisis, Kanna and Lian quested to Kadath beyond the
Frozen Waste, breaking the siege that had been put in place that was
sealing the Elder Gods away from the rest of the universe. She claimed the
Knife as a reward for use in future missions, though didn't use it much as
a weapon during the Crisis proper.
That honor was reserved for Beryllina, her signature weapon, forged
under mysterious circumstances which Kanna refuses to discuss. Many
suspect Yig somehow figures into its creation, but she neither confirms
nor denies those rumors. It is a very potent blade, capable of changing
into many shapes, and doing damage that Patternblades and Logrusfoils can
but hope to match.
Kanna's association with weapons of power did not end there. She
delivered Merehallow to Juri, after many side trips for the blade, in time
for Hel's Invasion on the Day of the Dead.
On the Day of the Dead, Kanna defended Shamber's Flawed Pattern while
Jacquiline drew Arcadia's new Primal Pattern, and then at the Keep of the
Five Worlds she fought a holding action against Wu-Corrine and Wu-Juri
until Hel's Primal Pattern was annihalated. Due to her actions, both
Wu-Juri and Wu-Corrine were reunited with their souls after Hel's death at
the hands of Juri.
Kanna married Ruka after the Herald Crisis, and had Shiori several months afterwards. She has been a good mother to her daughter, though her missions as Special Agent did not always allow her to be around full-time. Due to this, there are sometimes moments of disconnection that she regrets -- however, Ruka and Shiori's shared naval heritage helps to bridge those gaps.
Since the Crisis, she has continued to serve as Ember's Special Agent,
though she served as Regent in Ember for several years while Corrine and
Juri went on a cross-Shadow mission.
More recently, with several others Kanna has smacked down the
Untouchable Trio (plus one) and aided Akari in her various
Phoenix-Sponsored missions. She is now checking out the Lava Circle
kingdoms for damage in the wake of the LogrusWrack?.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: Wacky, loveable old coot.
- Gendo: He was the the first king of Amber, shaped by circumstance. To hear the elders tell it, he was also the king of double standards and hypocracy.
- Anthy: I'm glad you made it out alive, 'Grandma'. Now, more than ever, we cannot afford to lose our dreams.
- Haruka of Harad: She may have been hard, she may have been tough, but she raised mom and loved her, and that's enough for me. I wish I had more opportunities to talk with her.
- Anno of Gainax: I hope you're having fun, wherever you are... 'cause I imagine you're gonna pop a gasket when you get back.
- King Tylor: See you on the courts, Uncle King!
- Touga: "Trust too much, you get used. Trust too little, you get paranoid." Tell me, how do you find the balance, uncle?
- Drake: I can work with Uncle Drake. I'm just amazed he hasn't deep-sixed me by now.
- Van: Rarely get to interact with him.
- Saionji: Glad I don't have to interact with him.
- Eowyn: Sorry about what happened to Naussica, twice-born aunt. I'll make it up to you, somehow.
- Juri: I wish I could say I was surprised. I really, honestly wish I could say I was truly surprised. But despite what's happened, you're still my aunt, and I will support you in any way I can.
- Corrine: Mom is truly to the manor born, even if she sometimes doubts it. Please don't retire anytime soon, I'm not ready or eager to fill your shoes.
- Makoto: Go and marry Misato already! Waffle too long, and she may ditch you...
- Corey: A conundrum. Crude, rude, and socially unacceptable; yet he also has his uses.
- Nanami: I'm sorry I didn't live up to your expectations, Aunt. But then again, I'm not sure if anyone could.
- Miki: A true measure of a King is how well he holds up even when forces within the family batter at him.
- Kozue: Nothing hurts more than to see someone your family respected brought low by desires of petty vengeance. I just hope she can put this entire affair behind her and work to regain what trust she can.
- Derith: A monofocused fool. Uncle Miki is twenty times the king he could have ever hoped to be.
- Utena: You need to play more basketball to get your mind off your worries.
- Wakaba: A good woman who has been through a lot. Though if something isn't done about the Kashfan situation soon... mmm.
- Vash: A goober, but a good one, and I'm glad he made it back. Nobody deserves to be sucked into that pit.
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: A good queen and Aunt who keeps Uncle Tylor in line.
- Suu: You know, she hasn't really changed all that much from when I first met her.
- The Red Knight: Dad's always willing to listen to my worries. And equally willing to give me hugs.
- Nabiki: Sharp and classy.
- Tsuwabuki: A fine general, and a good man.
- Madoka: I suppose finding a shadow filled with Aunt Juri, Random, and Kozue dummies to beat up might help you vent a bit... but I doubt it.
The TAMD Generation
- Hiko: I miss her. Growing up as a ranger was one of my fondest times in Amber.
- Keiko: I've never really seen eye-to-eye with my 'sister', but she is skilled, and has risen to the position she's earned.
- Michelle: She was a good mother to Thoric.
- Mikage: Looks like the Blood Curse caught up with him... and carried over to his Construct. Damn.
- Nagisa: Gentle, kind, and thoughtful. A good cousin and brother-in-law, who can balance my sister. Shiori learned more from him than I think either have suspected.
- Ramon: A good man, with a good heart, who is taken advantage of far less than one would expect. I don't suppose you could give me advice on how one can avoid it?
- Shaft: A good man, who was taken from us way too soon.
- Shinobu Major: Gyaaaaagh. Well, fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.
- Shizumaru: I'll do the best I can, cousin, to aid your daughter. Good work with the Wardenship.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Atsuko: Not a woman I'd expect to form a "School For Boys", as it were.
- Damask: Not for the first time, I wonder what twist of fate or circumstance brought him to our shores.
- The Green Knight: I am here for you, Uncle.
- Gabrielle: She may drive me crazy at times, and at times I worry about her, but sis and I have been through a lot, and she's saved my butt more often than not. She's my big sister, and I love her, no matter what.
- Inaba: "Fate Management Bureau". Uh-huhn. Riiiiiight.
- Rimururu: I think she may need to walk a different Broken Pattern soon.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: He is my brother in every way that counts. I grieve with you over your loss.
- Demetrius: He knows his business when it comes to the Abyss, and when it comes to naval warfare. As for everything else -- welcome to the 'I got suckered' club, Demmy.
- Jacqueline: Who shall reforge you, Jacqueline? Or is the Jewel Bride shattered forever?
- Kentaro: Glad he didn't get offed.
- Kuonji: I Don't Want To Talk About Her.
- Lian: *respectful silence*
- Lucien: The right man at the wrong time, tossed into a situation his skills couldn't cope with. Despite what others say, I miss him. He could have had a chance.
- Moonshade: I don't regret finding her and bringing her into the family.
- Motoko: I Don't Get Her. But she has gone the extra mile to help Amber.
- Mutsumi: She constantly surprises me, but in a good way. She is a good mother and Queen.
- Naru: Being braineaten sucks, doesn't it?
- Nausicaa: I'm sorry, Naussica. May you find peace and a better life in dreams.
- Shinobu Minor: I'm proud to call her neice. And damn glad she survived.
- Sumire: The true measure of a true friend is when they're willing to put up with you being an idiot, and not being afraid to tell you so, and they stay friends with you afterwards. And I am quite proud to call you a true friend, cousin.
- Thoric: A good man and a good friend, who has thrived despite what the world threw at him and what harsh voices whispered behind his back when he was younger. He's a man worthy to be a King.
- Vice: It's amazing she's sane after being raised by Makoto the Mad.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: Betcha didn't expect the entire 'Destiny Harem' thing to turn out like -this-, eh, Davros?
- Keitaro: Damn glad he survived.
- Kaede: Far braver and dedicated than I would have thought. He'll be missed.
- Lily: Far more than a pretty face; she's a good friend as well.
- Mitsune: Never could figure why she hooked up with Motoko, Davros, and Moonshade. Still, it's her business, not mine; and she's still well-regarded by her family.
- Ruka: I Love you, Ruka, my husband, my Captain. You are the harbor for my heart.
- Aburatsubo: A gentle, kind, and skilled man. I hope Telemain's loss doesn't break him.
- Akari: The crucible is difficult to endure, I know. But I have faith that you will weather this.
- Anya: Haven't met her. Heard she's quite forward. We can use more people like that, as long as it's tempered with some measure of restraint.
- Asuka: Better luck with the Child of Fire job than Hiko did, cousin. Just be careful, okay?
- Chloe: Hrmmm. Interesting. One might even say intriguing. And man, she can fight.
- Deirdre: *facepalm*
- Hanajima: Anthy's worthy protege'.
- Haru: Not his week.
- Jewel: Not her week.
- Kanako: This doesn't bode well.
- Kaname: She combines the best parts of both her parents.
- Katherine: She performed well against the Chaosian Ninja Fleet. Tylor must have had her in reserve for some time now.
- Kurz: A breath of fresh air in House Helgram.
- Kyou: Damn good fighter.
- Makoto Minor: The sanest one of Arcadia's children.
- Melissa: A fine soldier and tactician.
- Minako: Opinion under revision.
- Miroku: Hrmmmm. Interesting.
- Allen von Munchausen: When you see the swans approach, you know it's time to bail.
- Nanami Minor: Not every problem can be solved by hitting it. That took a long time for me to learn.
- Nanbara: Why is Uncle Drake having Sumire marry this man?
- Orien: Watch after my daughter, Orien. And good luck.
- Ota Minor: Needs much clue before he brings down Arcadia trying to ape his elder's antics.
- Random: Mmm.
- Setsuna: I'm not sure if his delusion is better or worse than his mother's.
- Shigure: Amusing, but is his easygoing patter honest, or hiding something?
- Shiori: My daughter and I may not always see eye-to-eye, but I love her all the same. Good work in the Abyss... and please be careful in your future missions, dear. We've had too many losses already.
- Sousuke: Hard to believe he's the son of Loewen and Kodachi. Aside from his combat acumen and reserve, he's not really like either of them.
- Suzuka: An interesting twist. We shall see how it goes.
- Telemain: It is a sad fact of life that all too often, that when people die, they are remembered for whatever they last accomplished, either good or bad. I'm afraid that Telemain is going to be put in the latter category.
- Tohru: She's got a long road ahead of her, I suspect.
- Tomos: A good man, who is having Destiny thrust upon him.
- Uo: Maturing well. I hope Minor follows her example.
- Violet: Much like her oldest sister, just with a different occupational focus.
- Yomiko: Not at all like her oldest sister. And sadly, with less common sense than her oldest sister.
- Yuki: Damn good fighter.
- Gideon of Avalon: You'd probably break out laughing at the rumors that have sprung up in your absence.
- Juri of Avalon: I hope you and Roderick and Horatia are happy and safe, wherever you are.
- Roderick of Gumi-Amber: Can't say I've ever met him, but mom spoke well of him. And no, he's not hidden in any purported harem. Sheesh.
- Darako of Avalon: Whenever people say mom was tough or bitter in the past, I just look at Darako's history and consider myself damn glad she wasn't that bad.
- Cait-Ryoko of Avalon: Bitch.
- WOTD-Corrine: Be careful. Though I don't think the Grim Defender thing -quite- works for you, unless you WANT to be thought of as a female version of Julian. Oh, wait, you don't know who that is. Nevermind.
- WOTD-Juri: Be careful. And stay safe. Pyricorn and Serpent only knows what remnants of the past may be after you and your sister.
- WOTD-Drake: Be careful. And good work in New Chaos.
- 790: DIE AND STAY DEAD ALREADY!
Current Legal Children
Created by Philip Moyer, now NPC'd by John Biles.