Dream-Warden, Chain-Breaker, Child of Seven and Princess of Amber
- To the Land of No Return, the realm of Ereshkigal,
- Ishtar, the daughter of the Moon, set her mind.
- To the dark house, the abode of Irkalla,
- To the house which none leave who have entered it,
- To the road from which there is no way back,
- To the house wherein the entrants are bereft of light,
- Where dust is their fare and clay their food,
- Where they see no light, residing in darkness,
- Where they are clothed like birds, with wings for garments,
- And where over door and bolt is spread dust.
"The weave of things is before me now like a map of the world. It makes it difficult to care sometimes, but also hard to hurt."
In a hall of mirrors, a tall, curvy blonde stood poised on the ball of one foot in a complex martial-arts stance, her long braid swinging down near her knees. She wore a plain outfit of black trousers with gold piping and a man's white shirt in the Cathayan style, with silver gauntlets on her hands and golden bracers on her wrists. There was mist about the floor, curling round her bare feet, and the whole background seemed dreamlike and uncertain, as though it might change around her at any time. The mirrors hung in steel frames, some elegantly swept like the wings of butterflies, others jagged and vicious like the blades of sacrificial knives. Seven mirrors were prominently displayed, but they held only shadows and fogs, not clear reflections; I had the impression that there were more, many more, lost out of sight down the corridor. Nanami Minor (or just Nanami now, I suppose) had changed in more ways than the physical. She had feared dreams once, but now they were her domain, and she moved in them as gracefully as she did in unarmed battle. And upon her brow, in gold, the sigil of a broken chain.
Nanami Minor was born some time before the Day of the Dead. Realizing Keiko's pregnancy, her parents took a brief stop in a very fast-timed Shadow to get the childbearing over with, in order that Keiko would not be several months pregnant during the defence.
Named after her grandmother because of the startling physical resemblance she had (according to Makoto) to the older Nanami, she was an active and curious child with a tendency to grab-- with a very strong grip, from an infant--anything put near her and not let go. As she grew up she displayed no talent whatsoever for sorcery like the other women of her close family, but took to the martial arts her father taught her with great aptitude. She was a tomboy and a scrapper, sensitive to any teasing about her small size, and rather rough around the edges. The abbreviation of her name to "Minor" by her father quickly stuck, and it is under this name that she is generally referred to by the family.
Sent to Ohtori Academy for polishing, she took to the atmosphere well until the summer vacation before her final year when, to all appearances, she got a very bad case of Teenage Stupidity, took to hanging out with her disreputable Uncle Corey, and nearly got expelled.
The year that followed was very unpleasant for those who got near her, as she seemed determined to demolish any goodwill anyone had towards her. Eventually, however, she apparently hit bottom after a hideous public brawl with her father over her desire to attempt the Pattern and the desire of the rest of her family not to let her, and, slowly, began to drag herself back up. The Harad City Military Academy seemed to provide the structure she needed to get her life back together, but the carefree and good-natured young woman who had reminded everyone of her father seemed gone forever.
Since her graduation from Harad City, Minor has been a semi- regular member of Amber's Infantry Corps, serving with particular distinction in the Melnibonean War (1386-1391 AY), where she was a great bane of Melnibonean sorcerers. Other notable life events include her assistance to Shinobu Major in Kashfa when the Fronde was crushed (1408 AY), her single visit to Arcadia to train under Saionji during the Blue Turban War (1366-68 AY), and her attendance and role in foiling the assassination attempt on her parents at the Hundredth Anniversary of the Good Diet in Wroland (1395 AY).
Personality and Aptitudes
Nanami has changed greatly in the wake of the latest crises. After many decades of estrangement, she has reconciled with her immediate family (the ones still alive, that is), and has ended her feud with Uotani. Her tongue can still be sharp and her manners crude, but she seems to have reined in her temper to a considerable degree, and her overall personality is rather more cheerful and open.
Minor is one of the best unarmed fighters in the universe, good enough to fight and defeat formidable armed fighters with only her bare hands, although she does not have the same sheer physical strength possessed by some others. She can also take huge amounts of damage and keep going where others would collapse. Having walked the Pattern, she has the usual powers that those who do not delve into the higher arts possess. She has also recently begun to delve into the deeper lore of the Dreaming as part of her new role as Keeper of Dreams, under the tutelage of Anthy. Her mind seems to have strengthened of late, though not considerably.
Heraldry and Dress
Nanami's colours are black, white and gold, and she favours plain outfits that allow her to move easily in battle. When she dresses up for formal occassions she can look quite nice, especially if she lets Keiko dress her up, but she utterly refuses to wear dresses under all circumstances.
Her sigil when she uses it as a device or otherwise is a white serpent twined round a golden rose on a sable field. She has begun to tell selected people openly about her true origins in the Dream Castle of the World of the Dead, through the intervention of King Dios and Anthy; it now seems likely the sigil is a reference to her early time with Dios. In dreams, her workings frequently manifest themselves as metallic butterflies, usually of polished steel.
Nanami is a god now, just like everybody else.
Reactions to Others:
- Fuyutsuki: He's open to the possibility of change, even if what he's made isn't. It may yet be that we can find a way.
- Anno: The sooner he repairs the Logrus the better.
- Gendo: What I hate so much is that I understand why he did the things he did.
- Sakura: I can feel the sword descending upon us both, Mother.
- Anthy: I spoke with you so glibly of things I understood neither in heart nor in brain, and now everything is just a mess. Maybe it takes a heart more serene than mine to do things the way I tried to do them.
- Dios: Father, you looked the darkness full in the face and spat in its eye and never gave up. Let me have enough of you in me to do the same.
- Setsuna: Welcome home, aunt; please watch over Father for both of us, as I fear I'll too often be far from him in these days.
- Hurin: I'm glad to see she's doing okay now.
- King Tylor: He's the king. You obey the king. Even if he seems like a goon a lot of the time.
- Touga: I wouldn't trust him very far, but he's been a good servant to the kingdom.
- Drake: Nice job convincing Shinobu Major of the rightness of things, _sir_.
- Van: It felt good to finally let him know. Like putting down a weight.
- Saionji: He's a good guy; I wouldn't wish the job he has on an enemy.
- Dreaming: With the initial rush worn off, I kinda wonder how I'm going to relate to her now.
- Waking: Your words helped start me down the road that led me back to where I began and let me become what I should have been, and more. I'm grateful.
- Juri: I fear for Tohru if she must sink or swim along with this woman and Random.
- Corrine: Rather like I imagine Tohru will be if she lives long enough.
- Makoto: You were very important to her, and you are important to us. Don't close yourself off.
- Corey: He was there for me when it seemed nobody else was. I owe him pretty big. He ought to know as well.
- Nanami: I don't know if you'd be proud of me or not for what I chose.
- Miki: He's a nice guy and a pretty good king, but there's no fool like a fool for love. Best he take a vacation like the Oracle advised, especially after this latest.
- Kozue: More pleasant than I'm used to. Either she's learned her lesson or she's up to something.
- Utena: I'm definitely not in a position to be shocked at the sex people have in their dreams. ^^;
- Wakaba: I know what it's like to fear all happiness is just a dream you're gonna wake from. You're my sister, and I dunno if I can do anything to help you, but I will if I can.
- Vash: Probably was more useful as a baby, as at least he was cute then.
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: Thank the Unicorn somebody's having a baby under normal circumstances.
- Suu: Her and Touga are one of the strangest matches I've seen.
- The Red Knight: My "grandfather" on Mom's side. Hardly know him. Hugs less than Corrine.
- Nabiki: The more I see of her the more I understand why Drake married her.
- Tsuwabuki: Best we don't dwell on it. We did what was necessary for David. If there was joy in it, was that so wrong?
- Madoka: World just seems to be stomping on this woman's face lately. Hope she doesn't break.
The TAMD Generation
- Keiko: I'd throw myself on a sword-point for Mom again in an instant.
- Michelle: She has a great deal of wisdom, to my surprise.
- Mikage: There was no chance to put his advice into practice, unfortunately.
- Nagisa: If Tir's telling the truth, he'll raise Shinji up pretty well. There's just gonna have to be someone else to make sure Shinji doesn't turn out a wimp.
- Ramon: Dad taught me to be strong, to never give up, and over a hundred different ways to kick people in the groin.
- Shinobu Major: A traitor. But I'll miss her all the same. I wish she didn't believe the same powers that'd raise Jacqui to the throne will have more mercy than her family.
- Shizumaru: Please don't pretend everything is fine now because you and your wife have had a big cosmic moment.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Damask: Freak.
- Atsuko: I don't believe she's Shizumaru's mother.
- Gabrielle: Knows how to get things done.
- Inaba: I have snapped the offices of your patrons like the spine of a foe across my knee. I lack more poetry than that to express the pleasure it gave me.
- Rimururu: If you'd like to show your gratitude you could start by being less of a bitch to my sister and her spouses.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: I do not like the man much, but his skills are considerable.
- Demetrius: Useful, in the way a tamed wolf is useful for killing other wolves.
- Jacqueline: I've learned a little of being divided myself of late.
- Kanna: I want to throw down with her again; I've improved a lot.
- Kentaro: Doesn't seem to have been good for much throughout this whole sorry season.
- Kuonji: I never would've conceived her capable of asking them for forgiveness like that. Seems she has more sides to her than just the sharp, pointy ones.
- Moonshade: One the family's biggest asskickers. I respect her strength.
- Motoko: I think we understand each other both more and less well, sister, paradoxical as that may seem.
- Mutsumi: She's hitched her wagon as she sees fit, I guess.
- Naru: Good at what she does. I'm surprised she got turned into a puppet.
- Nausicaa: It does me no good to compare myself to what you might have been. A trivially simple lesson, but one that took some time and effort to learn.
- Shinobu Minor: My sister said it best: "warrior hussy". Strong, though.
- Sumire: I might be in the same place she is if Dad was like Drake is. Dunno how to feel about that. Though I'd marry Yuki much faster than Nanbara.
- Thoric: He's hitched his wagon as he sees fit, I guess.
- Vice: Thank you for what you did for Arisa. It may be you have indeed changed.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: He's got my thanks for his help with Setsuna; like his son, a good man.
- Kaede: I expect when the time comes for me to go fully into dreams, there will be no one to join me in that way.
- Keitaro: Kind of a wuss. Shinobu Minor must have to be real gentle.
- Lily: I suppose it was good she was able to see her son one last time.
- Mitsune: She's a good lady, though she could do with being a bit more serious.
The F9R Generation
- Aburatsubo: Sounds like he got messed up hard. This is why I try to stick close to people like Hana-chan during a battle.
- Akari: Someone could use either some fighting training or a better bodyguard.
- Anya: I think she may be weirded out by what happened with me and Tsuwabuki. Not that this isn't understandable.
- Asuka: Fortunately, I have more compunctions than she does about taking people to bed when they're not all there.
- Ayame: Not much like his brother. Probably would've been a perfect match for Chloe.
- Chloe: I hope the chains we've set over the curse help to loosen other chains. Restraints are sometimes necessary to ensure other freedoms.
- David: Welcome home, Uncle.
- Deirdre: Be careful in your service.
- Hanajima: I remember how bright I felt in the wake of my remakings, and how soon enough they turned to ashes in my mouth. I hope, though I have little hope of it, that hers stays shining.
- Hatsuharu: Looks like he's moved in for the rebound. He has my blessing there.
- Inigo: I expect my sitting down to talk to him would either work well or further his downward spiral.
- Jewel: Despite her best efforts, it appears we have a start; as she said, we are going to have to get along and work together if I'm to be Father's heir. As long as she's his Logrus-Keeper, at least.
- Kagura: Hey, good luck with Hayate; if nothing else you can bond over being dumped in really crappy ways.
- Kanako: You're gone, little niece, but you're here, as well. I don't quite know what to think or feel. But House Belgalad took me in when I too was only a bit of cosmic jetsam; we'll do the same for you.
- Kaname: If Chloe and others who know her better think hauling her off on some sexy adventure would help, hey, I'm all for it.
- Kiyoharu: Less flaming than his brother, but more boring and less competent.
- Kurz: He can do better, but it's his choice.
- Kyou: If he uses what I've told him to hurt Yuki, I will hurt him in ways he didn't know it was possible to be hurt.
- Makoto Minor: She deserves more appreciation than she gets, so I'm glad to give her some.
- Melissa: It might do her good to get away; sometimes, a distance is necessary.
- Minako: Pain's a whetstone for the soul, as she's learning. From my own experience of being "fixed", in the end it gives you nothing but the ability to gain from your struggles. Until she starts making effort to correct her mistakes and avoid them for the future, she's no better off than before.
- Miroku: I hope things come out right for him and Arisa this time.
- Momiji: A cheerful smile won't stop the knife the next time it comes for you. Only strength can save you. But you probably realize that now, don't you?
- Allen von Munchausen: Welcome back. I hope I don't come to regret this.
- Nanbara: His star seems to be rising; he shows he is his father's son.
- Orien: Back and in one piece, apparently. Hopefully he's learned some useful lesson from this.
- Ota Minor: See, if you were more like your sister, which is to say sane and not a complete pig, you might get hot sex like she does.
- Random: We will just have to see how this plays out.
- Setsuna: Thanks for your help with your mother, Setsuna; it must be good to see her loosening up a little.
- Shigure: He's been a pretty good friend to me.
- Shiori: Congratulations on the recovery of Orien, the defeat of KUGAR, and on continuing to avoid having your humanity and free will consumed by the Pit until you become nothing more than an inhuman shell in the service of entropy and destruction.
- Sousuke: I suppose that at least he hasn't dug himself as much a hole as his sisters did. His potential is great, but so far it seems his star has been obscured. Hopefully Kaname will beat some sense into him.
- Suzuka: Needs to be kept on a short leash, but lots of potential. Note: do not give her an excuse to talk about philosophy.
- Telemain: Grandma had it right. Hopefully will come back as someone more useful.
- Tohru: I'm sorry you couldn't be there, but the stars make their demands as well.
- Tomo: She runs very fast, right into your fist. She's gotten stronger, though no smarter.
- Tomos: It's hard, isn't it, the things you have to learn about yourself to put your world back together after it breaks? I'm glad that things have been settled between us now, changed as we both are.
- Uotani: I think your time is coming round, sister.
- Violet: Special Agent Violet is a good woman, unlike her twin.
- Yomiko: Doesn't deserve a nice guy like Setsuna.
- Yuki: As much as it hurts now, it's best this way. Really, believe me, it's best this way.
- Yurika: More like Miroku than I'd originally thought.
Inhabitants of the Dream-Amber of the World of the Dead
- Queen Haruka: I am coming as soon as I can, Majesty.
- Tylor: Seems kind so far. Reminds me of ours.
- Touga: Didn't come across quite as sneaky as ours does. He was kind to me as well.
- Shinji: I can't really blame him for taking pleasure in his killer's misfortunes.
- Saionji: Seems like a whackjob.
- Eowyn: I may be in a better position to help you now, sister.
- Catherine: Got a real mouth on her. Reminds me of me.
- Haruka Minor: I won't allow any further tampering to be done to her soul.
- Makoto: Has a sadness to him that ours doesn't, probably because of being dead.
- Gil-Galad: I'm sorry I didn't meet him or his son, but apparently he probably would've been stoned at the time.
Ex-Wu (and spawn)
- Corrine: Soon, sister, soon.
- Juri: Soon, sister, soon.
- Drake: Seems like ours without most of the rounded edges.
- Elizabeth: I'm glad to get to meet her; maybe some time in the future we'll spend more time together.
- Walter: Disturbingly reminescent of the love-child of Corey and Kentaro.
- The Unicorn: I will do your work, for I see no better alternative at this time, but you will have neither my love nor my worship.
- The Serpent: I don't think I get any privileges for being his sister-in-law.
- Death (Arcadia): Awfully fluffy for the Grim Reaper.
- Altena: Awful fate, to have your psychotic mother roaming around in your head like a puppetmaster for centuries. It could have been mine; has been, in other places. So I will try not to feel too happy about stomping all over her face.
- Alucard: Good idea there, chasing a Keeper of Dreams into the Dreaming.
- Mouse: I am sorry to have hurt you as well.
- Terebithia: However she felt about her family, losing them all like that is a hell of a shock. At least she's among friends now.
- Wind Dragon: Extremely capable and knowledgeable; he's been a great help to me of late.
In the course of her life and recent adventures, Nanami has acquired a number of artifacts.
- Ginshishi, a silver fighting glove with limited shapeshifting abilities that she wielded for many decades, forged for her by Nanami Major. (Given to Uotani)
- Greyswandir, Patternblade of Water, acquired from Drake in exchange for the spikard Wings of the Dragon, which she won in the challenge in Tir'na'nog following Nausicaa's death.
- The Patternbracers, forged by Skuld of the Three Sisters of Destiny, which allow her to enchance the strength of her mind by sapping the strength of her body. Following the rise of the Zodiac, they are now attuned to Boar and Wind Dragon.
- The Pretty Princess Wand of Air, given to her by Yurika, which makes her Pretty Princess Dream. After some reforging work with Chloe, the Air Wand now merges with Greyswandir when Nanami transforms, becoming the Magical Pretty Staff of Dreams, or something like that.
- The reforged Lion Spikard Nimthos, the Wheel of Dreams, granted to her by Anno following her aid in reforging it and repairing the Logruswrack-damaged Dreaming of Chaos.
- The inscrutable Changing Coffin, a Sidar dream-training artifact.
- A techno-gauntlet once wielded by Sutek of the Pyramid People, with a variety of psychic, electrical and healing abilities. Only infrequently useful due to only working in Shadows that can support its technology.
- A small hand mirror given to her by Chloe, an artifact of the Pattern that leads to a small fast-time Shadow meant for escape and recovery.
- Boots from the Tower of Fire. Boots that burst into flame when you kick people. So when you kick people they catch fire. From your flaming boots.
- A magic umbrella.
- A bag full of evil destructive winds.
- An elaborate suit of armor custom-forged for her by Tomos and others, using both Sidar and Melnibonean materials.
- The Heart of the Dreaming, forged from the union of the White Crystal of Ulthar and the Black Crystal of Dylath-Leen.
- One dozen gugs.