The blades of Order, Primal Weapons of the Pattern. They contain pieces of the Pattern within themselves and can ignite the blood of those who are descended of the Blood of Chaos. Each is aligned with one of the Patterns and possesses and elemental affinity to it; they are also each associated with a specific time of day. Six Patternblades are known to exist for sure, and they kill things (especially Chaosians) very, very dead. They are counted among the [Great Weapons]?.
Two of the Patternblades Greyswandir and Werewindle, were used by Annadil to open the Gate of Revolution beneath the Air Pattern of Tir'Na-Nog on the Second Day of Darkness. These two Patternblades, along with the Logrusfoils Thought and Memory, appear to be the 'keys' neccessary to open the Gate.
They are the elder cousins of the Arcadian Patternblades.
At the time of Forth the Nine Riders, the disposition of the Patternblades are as follows:
- Greyswandir, Sword of Water, the Night Blade, previously owned by Derith and later his son Lucien?. The original Greyswandir was destroyed along with Lucien during the Herald Crisis by being at ground zero of Doctor Wu-Love's Primal Chaos explosion. Drake quested into Shadow during the Interregnum and reforged it, and used it as a shiny to get people to do things for him. Recently, he traded it to Nanami Minor for the spikard Wings of the Dragon.
- Micklefang, Sword of Metal, aka "Justice" or the Dawn Blade. Originally owned by Gendo and then by Shaft, his daughter Jacqui inherited it after his death. It was claimed briefly by Lord Alars of Chaos, after which Moriya traded Withywindle to House Alars for it, and returned it to Jacqueline. She passed it on to Utena for safeguarding until the new Child of Metal, Captain Tomos, emerged; the blade will presumably be given to him soon, but is currently being used for the swearing-in of witnesses at the trial of Kozue and Shinobu Major.
- Merehallow, Sword of Air, the Sun At Noon, aka 'The Sword of Death.' Stuck in a tower in Shadow awaiting the 'Ever-Burning Brand' (either Morgan or Kanna could have qualified at one point). It was recovered (stolen) by Morgan during the Herald Crisis, touching off a series of events in which practically everybody who came into contact with it either died, was captured by their enemies, or was horribly maimed. Or some combination of all three. It was eventually rather forcefully delivered to Juri, who killed Hel extremely, extremely dead with it a hundred years ago. She still wields it, apparently without ill-luck.
- Withywindle, Sword of Wood, the Evening Blade, formerly buried on Endor as the keystone of a trap to imprison the soul-stealing undead monster that Ivan the Terrible, Ksinge of Muscovy became. Moriya retrieved the blade and destroyed Ivan, with the help of Motoko and others. It was then traded to House Alars in order to regain Justice, and then regained in another trade for Covenant (the re-forged Hummingbird). Miki currently wields it.
- The Primal Patternblade. Don't even try finding it. Presumably the Primal Pattern Knight holds it, if he / she / it exists.
Two new Patternblades have arisen during the course of F9R.
- Crotchknife?, Sword of Fate. Actually appeared as a knife with Pattern tracery on it. Little is known about it, since it showed up only briefly when Mara of the FMB offered it to Chloe, who turned it down. Has not been seen since.
- Doombreaker?, Sword of Destiny. Forged by the DMB, now possessed by Setsuna, son of Kuonji. Has a white blade with the Pattern etched in silver on it. Sings when out of its sheath. Has the power to break bonds.