It remains a mystery as to how two short people like Nanami and Tsuwabuki managed to produce a hulking man like Ramon. He's tall, with short dark hair and bulging muscles. He tends to wear martial arts clothing, and is noted for his skill in those arts. Ramon is an easy going guy and somewhat easily exploited, which usually results in his mother lecturing him. He bickers constantly with his mother, who has been known to use him as a human shield.
During the Annadil Crisis, Ramon assisted Prince Ota on several missions into Shadow, one of which led to his love affair with Keiko, to whom he is now married. Their love may not inspire epic love songs, but one hundred and forty years of marriage is nothing to sneeze at either. In recent years, he and Keiko and Captain Uotani work out together most mornings, and he seems to be very proud of his wife's growth in strength. He and Keiko are Motoko's parents, and while neither of them really understands her, they both are known to care for their daughter quite a bit. He is also Nanami Minor's father, and is known to care for her quite a bit, although her temper frustrates him.
Ramon's house in Shadow is generally open for anyone who wants to come and party, much to Keiko's annoyance at times. Just clean up after yourself, please.
During the Herald Crisis, Ramon fell into the hands of House Darios, resulting in his being held hostage until Moriya and Motoko engineered an operation to rescue him. He also delivered a heart-felt if not very well written eulogy for Prince Ota at the Marching ceremonies. On the Day of the Dead, he is known to have killed some six or seven of Hel's Wu, more than any other member of the family, an act which seems to have greatly elevated his status in the eyes of Drake and Shinobu Major.
Ramon is a very easy-going guy, and is on good terms with just about all of the younger princes and princesses, though he seems to especially favor Kanna (who he is known to have trained), Jacqueline (who he seems to treat as his own daughter), Thoric (who he enjoys wrestling with), and Moonshade (ditto). While he doesn't see her much, he and Shinobu Major are on good terms as well.
In recent years, he seems to regard Captain Uotani of the Watch as a protege, and spends a lot of time helping to train her in unarmed combat. In fact, he's on rather better terms with her than he is with Nanami Minor, and almost certainly sees her more often. Uotani seems to show up a remarkably large number of Belgalad family gatherings where one might not expect a simple guardswoman to appear. This has led some to speculate that Uotani quietly shares Ramon and Keiko's bed, though Uotani becomes violent when people ask this, and Keiko just laughs at anyone who suggests it. Ramon simply glares. Others speculate that she is an illegitimate child of one or the other of them, though given that no one else seems to bother hiding their bastards, this seems unlikely.
Ramon has trained an immense number of people in unarmed combat over the last century, and generally cemented his position as quite possibly the strongest man in the universe. He is known to have won best three out of five rounds against Lady Suroth, generally considered the strength champion of Chaos. Tylor has appointed him 'Royal Physical Trainer of Amber'. He seems to view Orien quite favorably, and Random as well, along with the rest of the Arcadians, especially Makoto Minor. Ramon sparred with Kanako at times before her disappearance. He seems to view Deirdre and Miroku as if they were his own grandchildren. And to lecture both of them, as if that was the case. He seems utterly baffled in every way by Nanbara.
Ramon recently helped raise his new grand-daughter, Anya in fast-time.
Ramon has gone on to fight in the Kong Fang and help take out one of the Ascended Masters, been slapped around by Wu-Hurin, and has been, of late, in the Castle of Dreams.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: Sometimes he's a nice guy, sometimes he's kind of disturbing, and sometimes, I just run.
- Gendo: It sounds like he was a bitch.
- Anthy: If I learned anything from Mom, it's that sometimes little packages are full of big surprises.
- King Tylor: I'm glad I'll never be King; he's better at it than me, anyway.
- Touga: He's a lot like Mom if Mom could have held her temper better.
- Drake: I think he forgets he's not the King and we're glad he isn't, sometimes.
- Van: He's a guy you can kick some ass with, then sit back and have a nice cold one with.
- Saionji: I think he wanted a piece of Mom's ass, either way you take that. He was always kind of cranky, but he seems to be a lot less of a bastard lately.
- Eowyn: I like her a lot; she's a simple person, like I am. What you see is what you get with her. I like that.
- Juri: There comes a time when smart people let go, you know. Even I know that.
- Corrine: She makes a pretty good mother-in-law, even if I end up crushing her when it's family hug orgy time.
- Makoto: Better marry her before she gets away, Uncle.
- Corey: He's a good guy, deep down, once you get him sober. Can't blame him for being cranky sometimes.
- Nanami: It wasn't always easy to love you, Mother, but I miss you from the bottom of my heart.
- Miki: When you've got a good thing, you ought to grab onto it with both hands and make sure it never gets away. A marriage is a job, and if you don't work, you get fired.
- Kozue: What has gotten into you? You weren't this stupid when I was a kid. Or maybe I just never noticed.
- Derith: What goes around, comes around. Dumbass.
- Utena: I take _no_ responsibility for Utena's dreams.
- Wakaba: She is a good and kind woman. But if she messes with my grandchildren, I will break her.
- Vash: Babies on patrol.
Spouses of the Elders
- Kasumi: Is that always how it goes?
- Madoka: I'd be mad too, but yelling doesn't help much.
- Nabiki: The fact that she hasn't killed Uncle Drake yet makes her a saint.
- Red Knight: He's a good father-in-law, and it's nice to have someone to spar with.
- Suu: Such a cute little kid.
- Tsuwabuki: I know that feeling, those times when I just expect to see her, and she isn't there. And she won't ever be there. And all we can do about it is to just go on.
- Yuriko: She's a good queen; it can't be easy keeping up with Tylor.
The TAMD Generation
- Michelle: Ain't nothing wrong with liking sex; you just need to do more with your life than that.
- Mikage: I never understood you, Cousin, but you always did Amber a good turn when you could. I'm sorry you died.
- Nagisa: I'd keep your eyes open, cousin. Our generation's lost too many already.
- Ota Major: Time heals all wounds, but it didn't have to. Dammit.
- Shinobu Major: I don't understand. I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND, DAMMIT! What happened to you? What happened?
- Shizumaru: The thing about idiots who think they're funny is, you have to ignore them, to get them to stop. Because that drives THEM crazy.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Atsuko: Not much like her son.
- Damask: Sometimes he's pretty cool, and sometimes I think he's counting my veins.
- Gabrielle: Man, the woman can cook hamburgers JUST right.
- Inaba: They always say it's the quiet ones.
- Keiko: My darling wife who I love above all things. Much sexier than Utena. Or Dios.
- Rimururu: Getting mad doesn't help. It's what she wants. You just have to laugh at her, and she'll give up.
- Yumi: It's hard to believe she was Gendo's mistress, once upon a time; you'd think she was one of the family by now.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: He's too much of a thinker for us to have a lot in common, but he's a good guy.
- Demetrius: Blah, blah, Abyss is great, blah blah. He's not a bad guy, but I have heard the whole 'I love the Abyss' thing roughly two billion times now.
- Jacqueline: There had to be something I could have done to help you, before it was too late. Something.
- Kanna: My sister-in-law is pretty damn impressive.
- Kentaro: I'd be more impressed if he had less ego and more accomplishments.
- Kuonji: I dunno. He seems to have gotten better, but it could be a very lengthy trick.
- Moonshade: She's a good daughter-in-law, and she takes losing pretty well.
- Motoko: I know. It hurts, down deep inside, and you keep asking yourself what you did wrong, what you should have done. Don't beat yourself up too hard.
- Mutsumi: I don't know what I'd do in your place, Mutsumi. But I'd probably handle it a lot worse.
- Naru: I can't blame you at all.
- Nausicaa: She was a good listener, and a good advisor, and a great diplomat. I've never been good with words, but I know it when I see it.
- Shinobu Minor: Just let me know if you need any help.
- Sumire: She's got her father's arrogance without having the competence and accomplishments to back it up.
- Thoric: See, there's times a man's got to learn to keep it in his pants. Don't let yourself end up like Miki. So I don't have to break you.
- Vice: I know I ought to be able to forgive and forget, but I'd rather fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: I'd go crazy in your position.
- Kaede: At least someone around here knows how to be loyal to their spouse.
- Lily: Ditto.
- Mitsune: Just be patient with Motoko. She's going to be going through some hard times, and she can get pretty cranky when she does. But she doesn't really mean it.
- Ruka: He's a good guy to go to if you need to know about ships. And a hell of a poker player. I think I still owe him money.
- Aburatsubo: Yeah, I know, it's hard to let go. It feels like you're betraying them, when you do.
- Akari: I ought to be able to forgive her...it's only indirectly her fault, and she didn't mean to, but part of me wants to just pound her flat enough to fold into an envelope, then fold her into a paper airplane, set her on fire, and throw her into the Abyss.
- Anya: She got the 'can't shut up' genes from Mom.
- Asuka: Anger just clouds your eyes, Asuka. It's not worth it.
- Chloe: She's damn good, but she feels kinda...I dunno. Fragile. Not physically, but just like she's this shell, and inside, she's hollow and doesn't know it. I sound like Mom, so I'll stop now.
- Deirdre: Dee, ya gotta stop being a dumbass before one of us has to break all your limbs for a few decades.
- Hanajima: She's elegant and smart, but seems kinda lonely to me.
- Haru: I think we live in different universes that only meet for tea about once a month.
- Jewel: I fear the Logrus has put all kinds of crazy shit in her head. She's got a big mouth for someone hasn't done very much. And if she calls my wife a gold-digger again or my daughter a mistake, or Captain Arisa a mistake to my face, I'm going to make her eat her words. And her feet. And the table. And her own ass.
- Kanako: TRIPLE-DAMMIT!
- Kaname: You just gotta do the best you can.
- Katherine: Don't really know her, though I hear she's good.
- Kurz: Infinite shadow to choose from and you have to date Jewel? You that desperate?
- Kyou: Don't let it go to your head.
- Makoto: Yeah, I know, sometimes it sucks ass being the responsible one.
- Minako: We'll have to see how it goes, but she's tried stopping being an idiot before and it never lasted.
- Melissa: Too tough to die. I hope.
- Miroku: You did good, grandson. You did good.
- Allen von Munchausen: This is what happens when you run around like a headless chicken.
- Nanami Minor: I wish I'd know what I was doing better, daughter. I wish it all could have been different. But I think now, finally, it's going to be better.
- Nanbara: I hope I don't lose any more grandchildren.
- Orien: It sounds like he's gotten his act together. Probably Shiori's good influence.
- Ota Minor: Man, I wish Ota was alive to give him a few lessons in not being a butt.
- Random: Part of me is proud of her for all she's done lately. And part of me wants to kill her for all she's done lately.
- Setsuna: I keep wondering how much of a nutjob his Mom must be. He's a good guy, but utterly nuts.
- Shigure: He's the perfect ambassador to send to Tylor.
- Shiori: She's a lot of fun to be around, and a great singer, too.
- Sousuke: He's a good man, but I think Loewen rode him too hard.
- Suzuka: Did you spend the last century methodically removing your brain cells OR WHAT???
- Telemain: I want to be fair; I know it was an accident. But I still want to wring his neck.
- Tohru: She's a good kid; I hope the world doesn't squeeze the hope out of her.
- Tomos: I think going into battle while you're pregnant is really, really stupid. I fear he's going to be one of those stupidly irresponsible parents who finally gets his child killed horribly and pointlessly. Then he'll probably try to blame the kid.
- Uo: I'm glad you and Nanami finally buried the hatchet. I hated seeing you two fight.
- Violet: Yeah, I know, Jewel's a bitch.
- Yomiko: I can't blame her for things I think I could have done, in similar circumstances. Sometimes, you just find people you'd do anything for. And then they die, and you just don't know what to do. I know how she feels.
- Yuki: Just treat my daughter right. That's all I ask. Because if you hurt her, I will break you.