Tohru Valois du Therin, Chambermaid at the Chaosian Embassy in Amber and younger sister to Captain Special Agent Tomos. Recently revealed Secret Princess in her spare time
"OOOOH! You turn into a tiger! You're so soft and furry!" (spoken to a young Souma who was, in fact, biting down on her hand at the time)
"A young girl charged towards the viewer across a field of shining purple grass and beautiful flowers, a rose tucked into her long brown hair over her left hair. Many blue ribbons were threaded through her hair, and she wore a simple blue and green dress and blue slippers. At first glance, her charge seemed aggressive, until you saw her happy smile and how her arms were spread wide to hug someone. One then noticed the single foot which jutted into the picture, as if someone was running away from said hug. A book lay discarded behind her; five irregular spheres, blue, green, white, silver, and red could be seen on the cover. The sun shone down brightly on her, driving away all shadows. Except for the inky black tendril reaching up out of the grass behind her."
Born of Tomos' mother and her husband Yves in 1416 AY, she was raised in Therin until her parents died (in a fire in 1424 AY), then stayed with wretched relatives. Tomos rescued her from that, and a chance encounter with Shigure led to him hiring her to work at the Chaos embassy.
Personality and Aptitudes
Bright and shining and innocent, Tohru instinctively finds people's good qualities. This makes her very good at befriending people who would normally be loners and wounded souls.
Tohru carries a picture of her papa with her everywhere, and often treats it like it WAS her papa. She sometimes takes him out and talks to him when depressed.
Tohru is especially close to her brother Tomos, who she loves greatly, and to Uo and Hana-chan, who both dote on her. She is also becoming close to Setsuna, Kyou, Yuki and some of the other Soumas.
Tohru very much likes to hug people, especially Soumas. She seems to have made it her quest in life to hug them all. She thinks shapeshifting is really neat, and has expressed great interest in learning how to do it. Yuki and Kyou are known to be trying to teach her. She's also expressed some interest in learning magic. Hanajima has been tutoring her. She's also taking sword training with her brother, and can often be seen practicing with a mop.
She's also been studying about the Cone People under Setsuna's tutelage, and possibly some other lore as well. In addition, she works at the Chaosian Embassy as a chambermaid, performing her duties well. She is a cook of great skill, and it's thought she may well be hired to become embassy cook as soon as Shigure can find some excuse to fire the current cook, Borizmas, who sees the writing on the wall, and has come to really hate Tohru.
Tohru has remarkable endurance for a sixteen year old, able to work very long hours, and go without sleep several days in a row if she needs to.
Thanks to recent intensive training, Tohru has demonstrated she is now a good enough martial artist to go toe to toe with Keiko or Tomos, a good enough swordswoman to match Hanajima, and a potent enough mind to impress (though certainly not surpass) Nanami Major. She's also been training in sorcery.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: He always gives me nice presents and tells me nice stories, like he was my own grandpa.
- Gendo: Wow, he had so many children to hug!
- Anthy: She made it back okay. Yay!
- King Tylor: King Tylor is the best king that ever was.
- Touga: He really knows how to take charge.
- Drake: I hope he's alright.
- Van: Fluffy wings!!!!!
- Saionji: He's very handsome.
- Eowyn: I'm sorry about Mikage, Princess. He was a good man.
- Juri: Sorry we made you worry about Random.
- Corrine: Very huggable.
- Makoto: I pulled his finger and it came off! EEEP!
- Corey: He ought to be nicer to his girlfriend.
- Nanami: Nanami was very nice, and I'll miss her.
- Miki: He's a great musician. I wish I could play like him.
- Derith: Poor man, so full of pain. I feel sorry for him; he destroyed everything he loved because he didn't trust anyone else to help him.
- Kozue: I can't understand how anyone could betray their own family.
- Utena: She IS as cool as my big brother!
- Wakaba: She's sweet and kind and a very good witch.
- Vash: Welcome back!
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: She and Tylor are soooo cute together.
- Suu: I like Turtles too.
- The Red Knight: He likes hugs.
- Nabiki: She's very nice and dresses very well.
- Tsuwabuki: He's a very good general. Don't worry, you're not alone.
- Madoka: She plays the saxaphone beautifully.
The TAMD Generation
- Keiko: She's such a great Aunt! And she's taught me a whole lot, and she's very fun to be with and I hope we'll always be good friends.
- Michelle: I wonder what she's up to.
- Mikage: *sadly* I'm sorry you died, Prince Mikage. I hope you're happy in the Unicorn's Grove now.
- Nagisa: Poor guy.
- Ramon: Wow, he's really strong! I mean, I knew he was strong, but then I saw him punch out a car! WOW!
- Shinobu Major: What an evil woman.
- Shizumaru: I'd be mad too if naughty people pretended to be my wife.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Damask: I've still got the pet kittie!
- Atsuko: She's a very nice lady.
- Gabrielle: Wow, she's powerful!
- Inaba: How can someone so cute be a traitor?
- Rimururu: I'd be mad too if naughty people pretended to be me. She should hug Bustie and then put her animal form in a cat carrier!
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: The smartest man there is.
- Demetrius: He made it back!
- Jacqueline: She's really sweet.
- Dr. Jacqui: Brownies...
- The Bride: She scares me.
- Kanna: I bet she's almost as strong as Uo-chan!
- Kentaro: He seems to run away from me.
- Kuonji: Mmm, buttery scones. I have one of her cookbooks; it's really good.
- Moonshade: She fights like a hurricane and smiles like a rainbow.
- Motoko: She's taught me a lot about how to be a good witch.
- Mutsumi: She's a big sweetie.
- Naru: EeEP?!
- Nausicaa: Goodbye, Aunt Nausicaa. I hope you'll be happy in the Dreaming with Kaede.
- Shinobu Minor: What's a 'hussy'?
- Sumire: Aunt Sumire is a really brilliant commander, and a good detective too.
- Thoric: He's very gentle, like papa was. I'm sure he'll be a good papa to his new baby too.
- Vice: I guess she's shown her loyalty.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: He's very wise and very strong and very lucky. I've learned a lot from him.
- Kaede: Farewell, Duke Kaede. I hope you and Nausicaa will be happy in the Dreaming.
- Lily: Who keeps stealing her clothing? Someone's being mean.
- Mitsune: Cute fox ears! She's lots of fun, and she's taught me a lot.
- Ruka: I wish I had a cute forelock.
- Aburatsubo: He's so sweet and gentle, just like a Prince should be.
- Akari: You did the best you could, I'm sure.
- Asuka: I hope she and Random can get to be friends now.
- Chloe: WOW, SHE CAN FIGHT!
- Deirdre: She needs a little more common sense.
- Hanajima: One of my best friends. She's so elegant and graceful. I wish I could be like that.
- Haru: Poor guy.
- Jewel: I wish I could be as pretty as her. I'm sure she and Kurz will be happy together.
- Kanako: Poor woman. I hope it didn't hurt too much.
- Kaname: She sings so beautifully, and does the most amazing card tricks.
- Kurz: Be nice to Jewel, okay?
- Kyou: My boyfriend, who I love.
- Makoto: She taught me everything I know about cooking.
- Melissa: She's so brave and strong and sings so beautifully. And pretty too.
- Minako: I hope she feels better soon.
- Miroku: He always comes through when you need him.
- Allen von Munchausen: He should have known better.
- Nanami Minor: She's one of the greatest fighters I've ever met, and I'm glad she helped train me. I learned a lot from her. I just hope she can find something to be happy about before she gets so sad she dies. She's a good and loyal friend.
- Nanbara: He's so funny! I wish I could wiggle like that.
- Orien: *blush* Handsome...
- Ota Minor: Daddy always told me that you find love best when you stop looking for it, and let it find you. Does that help?
- Random: She would make a good Queen of Chaos, I think.
- Setsuna: Sophia is a big softie, and so is he. But half the time, I can't understand what he's saying, 'cause he puts his hand in front of his mouth.
- Shigure: I've read a lot of his books, and they're really great. But he needs to work harder.
- Shiori: Welcome back!
- Sousuke: He's a nice man, almost as brave and strong as my big brother.
- Telemain: *sadly* You were a very nice and smart man. I am sorry you blew up like that. I hope it didn't hurt much.
- Tomos: I'm soooo looking forward to having a little nephew.
- Uo: You're so strong and brave. I wish I was.
- Violet: So elegant and graceful and wise. She's the perfect Princess. Although she isn't one, technically, I guess.
- Yomiko: I think she's read _all_ the books.
- Yuki: We can still be friends, I hope.
Tohru almost always wears ribbons in her hair, although if they have any powers, they have yet to display them. She also always carries a small framed portrait of her father, Yves.
She now bears a sword named Sercepelorme, and wears jewelry bearing the insignia of House Valois.
Tohru seems to have recently tamed herself an Abyss Kitten, who she has named Sable. She has also had her hair changed from brown to orange (except for a brown forelock), assisted in reincarnating Nanami into Anya, and become a Princess of Amber descended from Drake. Yes, Drake.
Tohru apparently went head to head with a Derith Patternghost and won at the end of her first Patternwalk, leading to many people calling her very brave and not too wise. She got the information she wanted, though...
She has since attended the Catala-Helgram Engagement Ball, where she returned House Souma's Lesser Logrusfoil to them.
She was among those who defended Babyland.
Tohru has since gone to Chaos and helped to defend Azalyn from assault and rescue Kisa from Shadow.