Violet, Elegant Diplomat
"Why, thank you. I usually go directly to Cathay to buy my fans, rather than getting imported ones. Especially since I can't requisition them very easily for my work."
"Clad in an elegant crimson kimono which revealed only her face, hands, and a hint of bosom, she stood next to a fireplace, her face half-covered by a carefully hand-painted fan showing the sun rising over the ocean. Her violet eyes gleamed with warmth, and her long violet-black hair was piled up into a bun, though I was sure it usually hung down freely. The fingernails of her raised hand were each painted with a scene too small to see on the card. Her left arm rested upon the mantelpiece, holding another fan, shut. She was a tall woman, and slender, who stood with grace and elegance. Paintings of many foreign places hung over the mantelplace, in many different styles. She was a collector, not an artist herself. Her attitude was inviting, and promised an interesting time for whoever might choose to engage her in conversation. I was reminded, however, of the Cathayan proverb about interesting times..."
Born in 1339, Violet grew up a shy child, much like her sister. At her request, Yumi reluctantly sent her down to Chaos to stay at the Embassy for a while and learn more of Chaos and diplomacy in 1353. Violet touched some chord in Moonshade's soul, and Moonshade began training her in combat and trying to encourage her to break out of her shell. By 1370, Violet had burst out of her shell and become a vivacious young lady.
In 1370, Violet entered the Amber Diplomatic Service, where she still serves. She spends her first few years doing bureaucratic work in Amber and going on brief missions.
1374 AY: Violet is assigned to the embassy in Melnibone.
1375 AY: Violet is nearly slain by assassins when she has the misfortune to be drawn into a court intrigue in Melnibone during the succession crisis there.
1386 AY: Violet is assigned to the embassy in Daiga, after the war closes the embassy in Melnibone.
1395 AY: Violet is now transferred to the Wroland embassy, shortly before the 100th anniversary of the Good Diet celebration.
1403 AY: Violet is transferred to the Therin Embassy.
In 1413 AY, Violet is now transferred to the embassy in Arcadia. She now gets in many adventures with the Arcadians and Kaname.
1420 AY: Kaname, Ota Minor, Minako, Makoto Minor, and Violet raid and blow up the Pay-Per-Trump station in Genua after it begins broadcasting a Jacqueline Tenjou Porn Marathon.
1424 AY: Munchausen shows up over Castle Arcadia in his flying gondola with Princess Asuka, and gets Violet and Kaname to come with him back to the Amberverse.
An attack on House Helgram in 1424 by an elite Melnibonean Dragon Rider corps is blunted when Melissa, Kurz, and Sousuke stage a desperate defense of the House (while most of its armies are off fighting in shadow), followed by Allen von Munchausen, Violet, Princess Asuka, and Princess Kaname popping out of nowhere and crushing the Melnibonean commander flat with Munchausen's flying gondola. The commander survives, only to be pulled apart by berserk swans. No, really.
Melissa and Kurz are rewarded for their role in the Battle of Helgramways by becoming members of the Shin Ten Swords. Allen von Munchausen, Violet, Princess Asuka, and Princess Kaname are all decorated and honored by Loewen. Unfortunately, Munchausen shows up for the ceremony driving a dogsled, and is chased off into shadow by Lord Loewen in a screaming fit.
1424-7 AY: Violet takes a leave from the diplomatic corps and vanishes into shadow with Yomiko.
1427 AY: Violet returns from Shadow, and is assigned to the staff at the Amberite Embassy in Chaos.
Personality and Aptitudes
Elegant and genteel, Violet is the quintessential diplomat, able to soothe ruffled feathers with a word, able to solve most problems peacefully. She has a very strong dislike of rude people. Violence is rarely her first resort, or even her resort at all. Violet is not afraid to use her sexuality to yank men around by the balls, but at the same time, she has had a fair number of steady boyfriends. Violet prefers men, but has been known to experiment with women.
Well educated, Violet enjoys talking to people on all sorts of topics, and is quite good at and enjoys getting people to talk about their problems, which she then counsels them on. She often gets frustrated when people won't take that advice.
It is often hard to be sure what Violet really thinks, as she's been known to tack to the wind and adjust her statements depending on her audience, especially to avoid explosive conflict.
Violet is known to be a decent hand-to-hand combatant, who favors crossbows and war fans. She is a skillful martial artist, though not even close to the strength gods of the generation. Her mind is strong, on a par with Akari or Telemain, and her sorcerous skills are great as well. She has yet to walk the Logrus, although she's an adept shapeshifter, and has been known to express regret that she lacks the blood to walk the Pattern instead.
Violet's parents seem to take great pride in her, and she gets on well with Prince Mikage and King Tylor as well. Violet has few major enemies among the family, though Kozue seems to look on her with some distaste, and Shinobu Major seems to view her as a horrible thing that should not be.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: Things are looking better. Let us hope that continues.
- Gendo: A man who did what had to be done.
- Anthy: A woman the wise listen to.
- Logrus: Damnation.
- King Tylor: King Tylor rules kindly and well.
- Touga: Ishmael would be crying, but a new age begins.
- Drake: I suspect that when we reach his age, we will likely be as impatient with younger folk as he is.
- Van: I hope he can be a bridge to the estranged ex-Wu. It would be best if there is peace between us and them, even if they remain outside the family.
- Saionji: You do what you have to do, sometimes. You know that.
- Eowyn: I suggest you talk to Mother.
- Juri: Just love them as best you can.
- Corrine: Tylor with breasts.
- Makoto: Shape up or ship out.
- Corey: If you are not careful, the beatings will never, ever end.
- Nanami: She was an excellent princess, and Amber has lost her when it needs her most.
- Miki: If you could spare any time to assist me, I would be most appreciative.
- Kozue: Let us hope she has learned.
- Utena: It is not too late to read the handwriting and change the ending of the script, you know.
- Wakaba: The universe hints but once, if that.
- Vash: A fun fellow. Glad he's okay.
Spouses of the Elders
- Yuriko: A good woman. She understands the duties of power.
- Suu: Hmmm.
- The Red Knight: It's hard to pass a fair judgement on someone created to be another person's dream lover.
- Nabiki: Elegant, and able to give Drake as good as he gives.
- Tsuwabuki: Not for nothing did he become the first non-Royal Marshal of Amber in centuries.
- Madoka: There are better uses for your fire than burning yourself. Do not forget that more flies are caught with honey than napalm, though sometimes they deserve it.
The TAMD Generation
- Keiko: She has shone to her advantage in this crisis.
- Michelle: Having done some to improve your reputation, it might be well to mend your fences.
- Mikage: Amber will not forget the many times you have aided it. At least your death would have been quick, and painless.
- Nagisa: Poor man.
- Ramon: I have need of you, Ramon. Please come.
- Shinobu Major: I have changed my mind. She is too dangerous to leave alive.
- Shizumaru: You chose wisely. Fidelity is important.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Damask: He can always make me smile.
- Atsuko: A start.
- Gabrielle: And you failed to notice, why?
- Inaba: No one suspects the quiet ones.
- Rimururu: Your head would be less bruised if you stopped bashing it against the wall.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: His patience is an inspiration to me.
- Demetrius: Another triumph. Apparently, only giant robots are his bane.
- Jacqueline: I pray I never suffer her fate.
- Kanna: It is well that Kanna will likely never need to inherit. She is a good woman, but not the stuff of which Queens are made. Her current role suits her infinitely better.
- Kentaro: Perfectly suited for the role he plays.
- Kuonji: Remarkably sane, given his past.
- Moonshade: She reforged me; I am forever in her debt. She needs to be more understanding of Rimururu's feelings, though.
- Motoko: Caution, Bride. It is easy to fall into error, and hard to pull yourself out.
- Mutsumi: Call me if you need me.
- Naru: Very wise on your part.
- Nausicaa: You will be missed, Princess.
- Shinobu Minor: You've chosen a difficult task.
- Sumire: Your aid to Chaos will not be forgotten.
- Thoric: He has learned, I think.
- Vice: We can neither trust her nor discard her nor afford to waste her.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: Wise and gentle, I have learned much from him.
- Lily: I sorrow with you as well, for all that has been lost.
- Mitsune: I love her, but sometimes I wish to kill her. Someone has to be the first to forgive, you know.
- Ruka: I just have to wonder about the hair.
- Aburatsubo: Helgram will not forget the aid you have done them, Aburatsubo. They also have many handsome men. Just a hint.
- Akari: Perhaps she will now turn things around.
- Asuka: Just let it go. Perhaps this can be a new chance for you.
- Chloe: One way or another, Kozue's children are always impressive. I would like to see more of her.
- Deirdre: Perhaps she begins to shape up.
- Hanajima: Perhaps she would understand.
- Haru: Nicely done in Mega-Tokyo.
- Inigo: Hmm, it will be interesting to meet him.
- Jewel: If Suzuka had wiped her out, it would all be worth it.
- Kanako: Perhaps second time is the charm. Can't be worse.
- Kaname: You have to stop waiting for destiny to do the work for you.
- Katherine: Very clever.
- Kurz: 'Super Logrus Powers'. Is that the new word for 'pussywhipped'?
- Kyou: Treat her well, or Drake will make you wish you had never been born. You did think of that beforehand, right? No, of course not, as you have all the brainpower of Ota Minor on his bad days. Just punch where she tells you to, if you know what's good for you.
- Makoto Minor: Patience, my friend. That is the key to everything.
- Melissa: I am glad to see she is safe.
- Minako: Probably best she missed her child's upbringing.
- Miroku: This is your chance to make something of yourself as your Father did. Do not waste it; the chance comes but once.
- Allen von Munchausen: You were right and I was wrong.
- Nanami Minor: I must confess myself surprised, but I expect she will show it the same dedication she shows everything else that she cares about.
- Nanbara: I suggest you remind your father you can't marry Sumire if you are a corpse.
- Orien: I am glad to see his true worth finally being shown for more to see.
- Ota Minor: Still smarter than Kyou.
- Random: It seems she is growing up and begins to finally live up to her potential.
- Setsuna: I am sure he would have done the same without hesitation. It is his strength.
- Shigure: I wish your house well, Shigure, and I hope things improve for you.
- Shiori: She's fun to be around, and well-mannered. And tough. I like her.
- Sousuke: Very good, Sousuke. Now, apply these talents to your love life while you can.
- Suzuka: Try to not kill your brother. Or maybe I should tell you to kill him to ensure you don't, given how stupidly contrary you are.
- Telemain: *sadly* I am sorry to see you go, nephew. You had very much to live for, and no reasons to die. Your death served no purpose, and I will miss you greatly.
- Tohru: I sorrow for Souma in its hardships as well, Tohru.
- Tomos: I think I would have retreated to fast time myself, in his position.
- Uo: I will yield to Miroku's judgement on this for now.
- Yomiko: Well, sister, it seems that everyone is determined to make you look good by comparison.
- Yuki: Good luck with Nanami. She'll treat you well.
- Yurika: Isn't the eldest supposed to be more responsible?
Violet usually carries enough Cathayan and Lipunese fans for an entire city's worth of geishas.
In the wake of Motoko's preparations to go to Chaos, Violet has been appointed Acting Ambassador to Chaos as of Day 6.
Violet has now become involved in peace negotiations in Chaos.