Yurika, Trump Puncher
"THE OTHER PORT SIDE!"
"Trailing her long blue hair streaked with purple behind her, she spun on one foot to aim a kick at the viewer; strangely, she wore socks but no boots, and the socks were carefully knit to resemble a field of flame. Knit gloves covered her hands as well, one showing a darkened cave, the other a deep ocean. She wore a loose blue shirt over a black leotard and green tights which clung to her figure. Confidently, she smiled at the viewer, even as she aimed a kick; perhaps it was just friendly sparring after all."
Yurika is the daughter of Avalon-Juri, Kozue, Madoka, and Miki in a post-rescue Miki orgy which happened during the Annadil Crisis in 1292 AY. Kozue became pregnant and hid Yurika in shadow, leaving her with a happy version of that group that settled down together as lovers. Yurika was raised in that Amber until 1354 AY.
Yurika's parents began training her in music and trump from an early age. Yurika attended the shadow of Ohtori linked to that Amber from 1304 to 1310, graduating with poor grades as she spent her time creating art and goofing off instead of attending to her classwork. She did recieve some commendation for her artistic skills.
On graduating, Yurika then attended the Amber Naval Academy at Kozue-Mom's insistence, but hated it. She stuck it from 1310 to 1314, then did a six year stint in the Navy, which she ended as soon as she could. Yurika then walked the Pattern of the Flawed Amber she grew up in, then ran off into shadow for a decade, exploring and improving her trump skills and spending a lot of time running about being somewhat dissolute.
This lasted until the Herald Crisis in 1332 AY. Yurika pulled herself together in her Amber's version of it, punching out many Herald-candidates and providing trump support to her various cousins. Afterwards, she became Master of the Revels of Amber for a time (1332 to 1340), then attended the Amber Diplomatic Corps' school (1340-1344), after which she became involved off and on in diplomacy for her Amber.
In 1354, she was found by Random and Kozue and brought back to Amber. She walked its Pattern and spent some time getting to know her family. She and Random became good friends (and on and off lovers, some say).
1356-61 AY: When Random enters Amber's Navy, Yurika signs up with her, and serves under her (perhaps in more ways than one). She seems to do reasonably well this time, though she leaves as soon as Random does.
When Random left for Arcadia for the Blue Turban Wars, Yurika seemed to lose focus and spent a year generally bumming around. Her parents decided it was time for her to further her education and shipped her off to Panopticon.
1362-1367 AY: Yurika attends Panopticon. After a troubled first year, she gets her act together and ends up as an Engineering student, graduating respectably. She becomes friendly with Yomiko, who is also attending.
1367-1382 AY: Yurika goes to Akasha, Trantor, and other high-tech shadows, studying various forms of advanced engineering and working out how to use trump in conjunction with such things. During this period, Yurika also assists Miroku and Jewel in helping Random pull out of her downward spiral.
1382-1386 AY: To her horror, Yurika is pulled away from her travels by Kozue to work with Kaname to build up the Naval Mage Corps of Rebma. Much sisterly squabbling ensues, culminating in a massive fight, which ends with Kozue beating them both up and putting them back to work. Their efforts pay off when the Melnibonean War breaks out.
1386-1391 AY: The Second Melnibonean War
Kozue puts Yurika in charge of the shipyards of Rebma. Applying her engineering skills, Yurika vastly increases productivity and ship quality. She spends the war running the shipyards, though she makes a trip to Chaos to aid her sister at Second Altamont, of which she will not speak. The experience seems to have a positive effect on her, making her much more responsible and earning her more respect in the family.
1391-1396 AY: Yurika returns to Panopticon to pursue various advanced studies in engineering and also plunges into Sidar-related studies, picking up a MA in Sidar Studies. During this time, she becomes fairly friendly with Telemain, who is also at Panopticon, working on his Cosmology Doctorate.
1396-1404 AY: Yurika now begins mixing time between a series of ship-design projects for Rebma and doing archaeological work with Prince Beowulf and sometimes Prince Telemain.
1404-1409 AY: Yurika is reluctantly dragged away from this to provide trump assistance to combatting the Invasion of the Dark. She serves well, though she seems to drive Asuka insane.
1409-1417 AY: When Communists Attack (Arcadia)
Much to Yurika's aggravation, one war ends and she has to go to Arcadia to help her sister fight off the invasion of the Commiecorn. Yurika has a massive duel with Groucho and Karl on the Commiecorn's back before being rescued by Ota Minor (to her embarrassment). Afterwards, she seems to treat Ota with much more respect than before. During this time, Yurika helps to greatly improve the ship quality of Arcadia's navy. She and Minako become good friends. Disturbingly, she also becomes rather friendly with Dr. Jacqueline.
Yurika returns to Rebma and alternates between doing diplomatic work, various engineering projects, exploration of Shadow and dodging attempts by Kozue to put her in charge of things for the Navy of Rebma.
During this period, Yurika makes a prolonged attempt to get Violet into bed with her. Violet, however, doesn't seem interested, which seems to drive Yurika insane. This seems to have died down in recent years, as she seems to have taken an interest in Sousuke, perhaps because of concluding Kaname will never get around to seducing him.
1430 AY: Yurika makes it to the King of Fighters Tournament, only to be eliminated in Round 7 by Mas Oyama.
It can be noted that Tomos and Yurika have dated repeatedly, with things falling apart each time they were seperated by events for long stretches of time. Their final attempt collapsed a few months before the game started.
Personality and Aptitudes
Yurika is a friendly and cheerful, sometimes irresponsible Princess of Rebma. She is technically Kaname's big sister, but is illegitimate, so she has tended to let Kaname be the responsible one while she has fun. This sometimes exasperates her parents and others. Once she gets moving to help out, she's reasonably effective, but getting her moving can be the hard part.
Yurika is rather affectionate (perhaps a little too much so at times), and very open about her sexuality. She's known to be pro-harem, though she doesn't seem to actively seek one. She does pursue romance in general fairly actively, sometimes driving her sister nuts in the process.
Yurika is very strong, able to punch out charging amberite warhorses, or eventually smash a house to rubble with her bare hands. She is known to be able to randomly punch out people on the street with a single punch, though she rarely rampages. Since her appearance, she has done a fair amount of training with Saionji, Ramon, Thoric, and Kanna to augment her unarmed skills. She is among the top members of the family in such matters.
Her second greatest talent is trump, relating to her skills as an artist. She has a fair amount of musical aptitude, but is much more a painter and sculptor. She also enjoys knitting. Her skills are not quite so great as Kaname or Miki or Mutsumi or Corrine, but she is generally thought to be the next best in the family after those four. She is especially known for making vicious use of trump traps.
Her third greatest talent is as an engineer; she was forced into Panopticon by her parents, but enjoyed her time there and has become quite a tinker who enjoys diving into equipment and figuring out what's wrong and how to improve it.
Yurika has some fairly good diplomatic skills, and seems to have a natural knack for politics. She is also a good administrator if she puts her mind to it.
Yurika has some naval experience, but despite her parent's efforts, has never put the amount of effort into it needed to excel. Still, she can get around a ship without accidentally drowning.
Reactions to others:
- Fuyutsuki: So, basically, we're talking a giant problem in networking?
- Gendo: While I can certainly see room for improvement, I think he has reason to be proud, wherever he is. And possibly also to scream a lot.
- Anthy: She knows much, but often seems to do little.
- King Tylor: My kind of king.
- Touga: Chaotic systems may often change radically when seemingly insignificant variables change. Be wary, uncle.
- Drake: You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, uncle.
- Van: One fine hunk of man.
- Saionji: I think he has a worse reputation than he deserves. We all do stupid things when we're young. Myself being a case in point.
- Eowyn: I'll finish those blimp upgrades one of these days, Auntie.
- Juri: I never quite know what to make of her.
- Corrine: It's all good now, but I wonder what she'll be thinking when it finally sinks in that she'll never really be able to stop?
- Makoto: Hmm, maybe I should see about building some spikard sensors for you, so you won't have to think of doing it yourself.
- Corey: He's good for a fun time. Or breaking things. Not much else.
- Nanami: What a shitty way to die. Sorry, Aunt Nanami, I wish I could have done something for you.
- Miki: Better tread lightly for a few decades, Dad.
- Kozue: I wish I'd realized how far you'd shoved your head up your ass, Mom. I might have been able to pull it out. You'd better learn something from this. But I fear your learning curve is pretty steep.
- Utena: Don't even think it.
- Wakaba: I like you, but if you ever let your words about Helgram turn into actions, I will show you how much of Mom's mean streak I have when I want to.
- Vash: Man, he's lucky he's alive.
Spouses of the Elders
- Madoka: I wish I could be the daughter you wish you had, but I think that's Kaname's job. But I love you anyway. Please be understanding of Daddy; he's trying to do his best.
- Nabiki: She can be as vicious as Drake, if she feels the need.
- The Red Knight: I just don't know.
- Suu: It COULD work. The problem is that testing it could be suicide.
- Tsuwabuki: I'd have snapped and tried unsuccessfully to beat Uncle Drake to death if I was him. I don't know how he handles it.
- Yuriko: It must be awfully lonely for her, sometimes, with all her siblings dead.
The TAMD Generation
- Keiko: I am never quite sure which is the real her.
- Michelle: Aunt Michelle is the greatest. People just don't understand her.
- Mikage: I never liked him much, but he deserved better than that.
- Nagisa: I envy his mellowness, sometimes. I don't stay calm under stress like he does.
- Ramon: I think he'd benefit from working some on expanding his mind; you need a strong mind and a healthy body, not just one.
- Shinobu Major: I keep wondering how the great general was so sure she'd get away with this.
- Shizumaru: He's a good man, but a crappy therapist.
Spouses and lovers of the TAMD Generation
- Atsuko: She understands me.
- Damask: I like him, but man, he is one crazy guy.
- Gabrielle: Part of me thinks we should build more like her to guard all the patterns, and part of me worries about the possibilities for disaster.
- Inaba: How could you do that to someone you loved?
- Rimururu: Someone needs to sit this woman down and shake some sense into her. Unfortunately, I expect I'd make things worse if I tried.
The UnS Generation
- Beowulf: He's quite a brilliant man, and I've greatly enjoyed our joint projects. Even if my attempt to make a spikard blew up on me.
- Demetrius: He and Damask remind me eerily of each other; they've both been swallowed by their area of expertise.
- Bride: The wolf.
- Dr. Jacqueline: She makes an excellent partner for an experiment, but only if you are VERY careful.
- Jack: He doesn't seem so incomplete as the others, but I haven't seen much of him. Strange.
- Jacqui: The sheep.
- Kanna: I like Kanna a lot, but I think she really needs to expand her mind some. Though I have to admit Beryllina excels any project of mine.
- Kentaro: Kentaro is smarter than most people realize. Perhaps smarter than HE realizes. I like him, but he needs to decide what to do about Sumire while he still can.
- Kuonji: I just can't quite trust the man, but he impresses me a lot.
- Moonshade: Daaaamn, the woman can fight. And she's a much better craftswoman than most people realize. I keep meaning to go study with Aule like she did, but never seem to get round to it.
- Motoko: Half-measures are worse than no measures.
- Mutsumi: She's a brilliant woman, and I wish I could be as good as she is with Trump. I'm trying.
- Naru: I feel awful for her; she must feel as conflicted about her mom as I'm feeling about Kozue-mom right now.
- Nausicaa: Well, shit.
- Shinobu Minor: I hope she's up to dealing with Aesir; she's always seemed more a team player than a leader to me.
- Sumire: The first step is to decide what you want.
- Thoric: Dreams will bite your butt sometimes. I know, I know.
- Vice: I dunno what to make of her; she seems decent enough these days, but her past...I just don't know.
Spouses of the UnS Generation
- Davros: You've got to seize events with both hands, while you still can.
- Kaede: I dunno whether what he did is romantic or cowardly.
- Lily: I still think the Museum probably needs a defense upgrade.
- Mitsune: I think you're gonna have to suck it up, 'cause you know she won't, short of me holding her down and sitting on her.
- Ruka: No, not currently seeking a naval posting, thank you.
- Aburatsubo: Well, if I could turn male, I'd do him in two seconds. But as it is, I'll settle for beating him at Tennis. ALL THE TIME. HAH!
- Akari: You don't find out what you're really made of until the meteors start striking. Scary, ain't it?
- Anya: You're gonna need to get more reasons for the family to be grateful to you before you can enter perpetual Drake imitation mode, honey.
- Asuka: Take a chill pill, Asuka. Would you let her kill you if you killed her parents by a bad command decision? I think not. Don't make me break your limbs to help you calm down.
- Chloe: I keep wondering what she's been doing all this time.
- Deirdre: See, there's a difference between 'avoiding taking on responsibilities' and 'being an irresponsible fool'. You crossed the line. But it looks like she's improving.
- Hanajima: She always seems awfully lonely to me. Maybe I should see if I'm what she's looking for.
- Haru: Mmm, he's hot. Too bad Naru got to him first.
- Jewel: I take it back, she needs therapy even more than Rimururu. And to learn to stand on her own two feet and not go running to the Logrus to hide her.
- Kanako: I never liked her much, but damn, she deserved better than the universe kicking her ass that hard.
- Kaname: I love you, sister, even when we fight. And I wouldn't tease you so much if you'd just MAKE YOUR MOVE ALREADY. You want him or not?
- Katherine: She seems to know where it's at.
- Kurz: I think he'll be good for Jewel, but I have a feeling it'll be rough.
- Kyou: He and Tohru are so cute together. I hope we don't end up having to fight each other.
- Makoto: I can't envy her her position.
- Melissa: Good luck, Melissa. You'll need it.
- Minako: She's got that strong streak of brilliance without regard for consequences that the Bride has. I like her sometimes, and other times, I want to strangle her.
- Miroku: I have a feeling the wolf's not really ready to settle down, but we'll see. He's surprised me before.
- Allen von Munchausen: One of these days, I'll sit him down and make him learn how to fix the gondola himself. One of these days.
- Nanami Minor: It's about time.
- Nanbara: If you want out, you're going to have to do something besides just complain. Bribery, my friend. Parents can be bribed, if you know how.
- Orien: Finally letting the world see what some of us knew all along. Mmmm, hot.
- Ota: Ota's a sweetie if you know how to handle him. Someone needs to sit the boy down and get him a proper technical education, though if you want to make a gun, he's your man.
- Random: She'll always be special to me. But next time, SHE takes the fall for the home team.
- Setsuna: He understands how hard it is to adapt, sometimes.
- Shigure: He's a wonderful ambassador, but I fear we may have to fight him.
- Shiori: I can see what she's doing, and I intend to move to a safe distance, thank you.
- Sousuke: I shouldn't meddle, but I just can't help it. He's so hot, and so cute when he blushes, and kaname screams so loudly...
- Suzuka: She's not very bright at all, but then, we're all born stupid and she's just been born, really. She fucked up hard, but if we guide her, eventually, she'll learn. Or die, but I hope not.
- Telemain: This is why I never went into field engineering if I could help it. One mistake under stress and BOOM, the apocalypse.
- Tohru: Maybe not the best person for covert missions. Especially ones involving sex.
- Tomos: Yeah, that mortality staring you in the eye thing is a BITCH.
- Uo: I like Miroku as much as you do, Uotani, but I'm not quite crazy enough to think I can tame him.
- Violet: I think she'll make a good ambassador.
- Yomiko: Just be patient; it all passes in time.
- Yuki: Farewell for now. I pray we won't meet again across crossed blades. And I'm not just saying that because you'd kick my ass.
Yurika is noted for making a wide variety of gizmos, some of which actually work. She's also noted for making extensive use of trump variants, whether as clothing, weapons, or gizmos. She has a collection of gloves and footwear which are knit trumps she uses with her unarmed combat skills.
After attending the LARP, Yurika seemed hard-hit by Telemain's death, followed by the revelation that Kozue was a traitor. She spent the following days working with her parents to purge Rebma of any traitors and reformulate all naval plans.
She then assisted Chloe and Suzuka and Kaname and Anya in cleaning out Telemain's Smoke Ring. Shortly after that, she had the chance to assist Lord Sousuke during the Logruswrack, saving him from the Fall of Helgram through a chance trump call, then helping in the recapture of Helgram and its cleansing of Abyssal forces.
She is now in Arcadia, about to assist Random with a mission.