An Integrated Auction Example
Here's one possible example of an integrated auction, including a list
of the auction lots available.
All character start with 100 points.
All characters start at amber level in all stats, using John Biles' split-stat
system. Stats will be governed primarily by auctions. If you win an
auction that does not specify which sub-stats the benefit applies to, you
may divide the points as you see fit. For example, if the benefit is 10
warfare, you could choose to add that as 20 weapon skill and 0 tactics, 10
in each, or any other combo; negatives are not allow (so no 30/-10) unless
specifically mentioned. Some auctions will give both full stat and
specific sub-stat benefits.
All players start with access to their choice of Pattern or Broken pattern
abilities, upto the basic level, using John Biles' partial power systems. No
other powers are available without winning the appropriate auctions. There
will be a variety of auctions with benefits such as 'access to
shapeshifting upto basic level' or 'access to pattern shadow shortcuts'.
Often, these benefits will include a number of points towards the power:
'10 points of basic sorcery powers, plus access to fast casting or
intelligent spells'. Some the lots will include outright purchase of
particular power, such as 'trump sketching', others will include choice
of powers, like '10 points of any basic magick powers'. In all such cases,
unless otherwise indicated, you must meet the prerequisites for any powers
Once the auctions are over, you may dispense any remaining points. Stats
may be altered to a limited degree. Upto 10 points may be moved among
stats, in any combination, so long as the total change in any stat is no
more than 10. Additionally, you may spend upto 5 extra points among your
stats, distributing between substats as desired (again, no negatives).
See the Alternative Auctions page for information on the types
of auctions listed below.
- Dworkin's Lab Assistant - English
- "Pass me that vial of primal Chaos, would you?"
- Dworkin's Caretaker - English
- "Here, drink this water, sir. You'll feel better. No, I haven't a straw, you'll have to shift some lips."
- Fiona's Lab Assistant - Japanese
- "Here, hold these two wires. No! Not in the same hand, it messes up the resonances."
- Investigation with Fiona - English
- "Hrm, this slash was done by a left handed mystic, using the ancient rituals. He'll be hard to catch."
- Brand's Dupe - Dutch
- "Honestly, King Random, I had no idea he was going to do that. None at all."
- Campaigning with Benedict - 2 unit English
- "Yes, sir, rightaway sir!"
- Campaigning with Gerard - English
- "Two Pirate flags off the starboard bow! Make ready on the cannons!"
- Gerard's Sparing Partner - English
- "Here, get up. See, if you lead with your off foot, you'll have better balance"
- Attache to Flora's Diplomatic Mission - 2 unit Vickery
- "Yes, be a dear, please keep the Begman ambassador busy while I placate the Kashfans. And mind the assassins."
- Julian's Training Dummy - Dutch
- "There he is men! After him! Don't let him get up that tree!"
- King Random's Day Off - Japanese
- "It's 106 shadows to Texorami, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses... Hit it!"
- Investigating Corwin's Pattern - English
- "Your king commands you to go find Corwin and ask him what the fuck he thinks he's doing. And tell him I said that!"
- Campaigning with Bleys - 2 unit Vickery
- "Easy battle, easy victory. Of course. Then we'll stop for ale and wenches."
- Bleys' Quest - Dutch
- "Oh don't worry about what we're looking for, I'll know it. But mind those trigger plates, please."
- Caine's Dupe - Dutch
- "Well, I certainly thought it was him when I stuck the knife in it."
- Llewella's Rescuer - English
- "Don't worry, princess, we're here to save the day! Yes, I suppose I am short for a stormtrooper."
- Werewindle - Yankee
- "Several people know where Werewindle ended up after Brand's death. First one there gets to keep it!"
- Quest for the Spikard - Japanese
- "It's easy, just cut through the roof, disable the guardians, and waltz out."
- Procuring the Services of Wayland the Smith - English
- "Here you are, 3 left claws from a cat that's never seen sun. The last ingredient you requested."
Special Positions or Connections
- Priest of the Church of the Unicorn - English
- Chaos Connections - Relative
- Member of the Amber Intelligence Agency - Yankee
- Captain of the Castle Guard - English
- Officer in the Army - 2 unit Vickery
- Officer in the Navy - 2 unit Vickery
- Golden Circle Diplomat - 2 unit Vickery
In addition to the auctions below, each profession package can be purchased at a "buyout" price of 10 points. You may not buy a package more than once, so if you win it in an auction, you may not also purchase it via buyout.
- Soldier - 3 unit Vickery
- Guardsman - 2 unit Vickery
- Musician - 2 unit Vickery
- Lawyer - 2 unit Vickery
- Mystic - 3 unit Vickery
- Skilled Labor - 2 unit Vickery
- Manual Labor - 2 unit Vickery
- Sailor - 2 unit Vickery
The list of the benefits from winning auctions