The Darkness is Alive. And it Hungers.
- --From the Journals of Illi'thi'car, Abyss Monk
It remains unclear as to whether the Abyssal Demons are chunks of Abyssal Energy come to life, beings from other universes who use it as a road, the result of deliberate experimentation by mad Chaosians, or some combination of all of the above.
They range from nearly mindless Gremlins who randomly destroy things to cunning shapeshifters who slowly pervert and destroy entire shadows to friendly beings with bit of a temper and tendency to violence. Abyssal demons tend to be destructive, but the range of what they destroy, how they destroy, and why they destroy ranges quite a bit.
Notable kinds of Abyssal Demons include:
- Gremlins--small furry humanoids with a knack for making technology go haywire
- Imps--junior tempters who offer people knowledge, personal service by the imp, and power to lure them down the road of corruption. Imps tend to die a lot because they either promise more than they can deliver or get caught in the havoc they wreck
- Lemures--Mindless waves of blobby humanoids who just keep smashing until everything breaks. Sometimes called 'mindless ones' even by other Abyss Demons.
- Boggarts--small furry humanoids who tend to lurk in wilderness areas, luring people into the hands of nastier creatures
- Marilliths-- A marilith is a female-type demon, with the lower body of a snake, and the torso and head of a woman (with six arms). They are deadly combatants, but even more deadly is their ability to take on the appearance of someone beloved of a victim or of someone the victim respects, while fuzzing that person's perceptions so that the Marillith's enemies are percieved as his.
- Succubi/Incubi?--Shapeshifting demons who play on the sexual instincts of their victims to gain power over them and wreck havoc on relationships and lives.
- Wendigo--Crazed demons with a taste for human flesh, who tend to stalk the wild places. They also control weather, tending to prefer to bring their own snowstorm with them.
- Balrogs--Very powerful, usually leading entire armies of Abyssal Demons. They range in height from eight to forty feet tall, and are massively built. They fly with huge black wings, and are usually limned by Abyssal Flame. Their minds are keen, and they usually have vast sorcerous powers.
- Avengers--One of the rare mostly benevolent forms of Abyssal Demons. They wander until they find some injustice, then lash out at the injust and destroy them, whether physically, socially, or mentally.
- Guardians--This is actually a fairly broad category; there are a lot of Abyssal demons willing to contract to guard things for a time.
Some Abyssal Demons are hostile to all non-Abyssal life. Most are somewhat willing to contract with people who have something to offer; most of the Great Houses have one or more clans of demons on retainer as muscle, guardians, spies, etc.
All Abyssal demons can exist freely in the Abyss and move around with it; rarer and more prized (and deadly) are those who can open Abyss portals to the Abyss from anywhere, using it as a shortcut for rapid movement.