Constructs are constructions of power, putting together various known Powers in new ways, allowing said powers to be used across Shadow more easily, even by those without the skills usually needed to use them. The art of Construct creation was little-known to most of the Royal Family of Amber before the Annadil Crisis, especially the design of freewilled sapient ones. However, this changed as the Crisis progressed, and several were built or converted to the cause of Amber, and are now regarded as members of the royal family (either willingly or unwillingly).
Unfortunately, it appears that not only the good guys have constructs, and many seem to be in the service of the Outsiders...
At the time of Unicorn no Seishi, the following Constructs are known to exist:
The Good Guys
- Gabrielle : Created by Corrine, Gabrielle is the oldest of the known constructs, and she is widely regarded as Corrine's first child and a full Princess of Ember. She is on good terms with most of the family, and hangs around Kanna a lot when she's not doing things elsewhere. Currently going through various family-related issues, but otherwise doing quite all right for a mother and wife -- and the fact that recently, Kuonji Inji managed to get a monitoring tap into her systems, thereby allowing her actions to by monitored by both Kuonji and Hel's forces. Said tap has since been removed with extreme predjudice.
- Morgenstern, aka "Uncle Morgy" or "Snoop Mo'G" : Built around Shaft's Flawed Demi-Jewel of Fire, this construct is an utter wackmobile, and has a rivalry with Gabrielle. He was (more) insane for a while, courtesy of malicious and accidental tampering. However, thanks to the repair efforts of Nagisa and Gabrielle, The Flaming Master of Funk is back on the air.
- Kafuin, aka "The Old Man" : A crotchety construct built to properly power the Elder Sign that seals off the Fount Of Power, and to monitor the environs around The Keep Of The Five Worlds. Was offline due to damage encurred by feedback caused by the use of the Gloom Device to steal Shizumaru, and an attempt by Black Unicorn Amber forces to retrieve the Flawed Jewel Of Judgement that makes up his core. However, he is back up and running again.
- [Vector Prime]?, aka "Vec" or "Vector" : Built by Lian with Corrine's assistance, the details of this construct are relatively unknown, save that Lian used it rather effectively in her various tasks, and that it was based in her personal shadow, Mechanus. The near-destruction of Mechanus and then later, Lian's death, has caused Vector to become somewhat paranoid and isolationist. But who can blame him?
- Aeris? : The newest and youngest of the constructs, Aeris was built by Beowulf, Lily, and Mutsumi, with assistance from Wakaba, Miki, and Mitsune. She appears to be quite interested and talented with Trump, much like Gabrielle was at a younger age, yet more centered and balanced.
- Nemuro Hall : The true name of this construct (if it has one) is unknown, as are its full capabilities. Built by Mikage a long time ago under questionable circumstances and methods, its manifestations (worn by the members of the mysterious "Black Rose Society") allow its users to gain a psychic boost, as well as engage in unbreakable communication with the other members. Little else is known about this construct, save that it tends to make other Constructs very nervous when the Black Rose Signet is brought up in conversation...
The Bad Guys
- The Banyan Tree, the Outsider construct at the heart of Dinosaur World, killed by Jacqeline's use of the Jewel of Judgement to turn off all Outsider power in that shadow. Its remains (and its owner, the Saar of the Edinos) were later turned into fertilizer by Gabrielle.
- The Black Crown, which was the source of Bronwyn the Shadow Conqueror's power. Destroyed by Mikage, Falme, and Nausicaa after Lucien killed Bronwyn and left them behind to face its wrath.
- An unnamed Outsider construct commanded by The Gaunt Man, which met its end when Kuonji destroyed its core while the Gaunt Man got patternfried by Jacqueline and his other forces were wiped out by a Patternslave (courtesy of Gabrielle). The shadow that it resided in was eaten by Hastur and is now the epicenter of a Temporal Black Hole. Ooops.
- The Heart of Ice, a construct created by unknown forces (though likely Outsider), formerly commanded by Jadis? the White Witch, now recovering from a Holy Handgrenade stuck in its innards courtesy of Lian while retreiving the lost Silmaril. It was transplanted by [Warlord Kranod]? to Tharkold, but then summarily nuked to flinders by Hiko.
- Another unnamed Outsider Construct, commanded by John Valois (the Black King) and accessed by the Black Runestaff that was remotely used by Warlord Kranod. It was set within the heart of the red giant star that made up the binary system which contained War World, and then destroyed via a massive stellar sandwich by Kanna and Thoric, causing the star to go nova and taking the construct with it.
- The giant flying Shadow-shifting Flawed Fire Jewel-powered later-Merehallow-enchanced War Train of Black Unicorn Amber, which contained all of Black Unicorn Amber within itself, and now remains only as a number of flawed Patterns flung out into Shadow after the train was blown to little tiny bits by (this may sound familiar) the firing of torpedoes into certain appropriate vents. It was designed and controlled by some freak named Horatio, who'd become obsessed by Motoko after she tried to kill him by dumping him naked into the Shadow of Fire. No, we don't understand it either.
- The unnamed Kanawa Corporation Construct. Depowered by Jacqueline using the Jewel of Judgement as part of an operation led by Drake, then crushed into a small paperweight.
- Pharaoh Moebius's Construct, presumably blown to pieces by Beowulf and others.
As of this writing, all the Black Heart Prophesy Constructs have been destroyed. Of course, you never can fully tell, with Constructs...