The World of the Dead
"The stars shone down upon it, and above it shimmered a great castle. Once and once only have I stepped within that castle. It was a mistake, but that was a story for another time. Their armies were like zombies, moving like cattle to the slaughter. And at their fore rode the Princes and Princesses of Amber, using their followers like pawns on the chessboard of the field. And all was quiet and there was no song, no joy, only cold, stagnant order, people like machines... No winds blowed, and all the land was stone and metal. Even the trees grew in serried ranks, beneath the stars."
- --Lord Loewen of House Helgram describes his vision of the World of the Dead to Motoko
The World of the Dead, by which the universe of Unicorn no Seishi is apparently soon to be invaded. Not all is known
"Facts" known about the World of the Dead include the following:
- The World of the Dead is ruled by Hel, the Queen of the Dead, a soul-stealing Abyss demon of a breed called the sanjiyans, who have the power to make others into their undead servants. It is conjectured that her closed third eye is the World of the Dead's Jewel of Judgement, within which she has trapped the souls of her slaves. Hel is apparently weakest against the element of air, and, according to Juri when Morgan met her, must be slain by the Air Patternblade, Merehallow.
- Hel's base of power seems to be the Amber of the World of the Dead, where she is served by all the elder members of the family of Amber up to Makoto, transformed into her undead slaves (including all those dead or missing in the UnS universe).
- Her military leaders seem to be the World of the Dead's equivalents of the children of Gendo and Haruka: Eowyn, Juri, Catherine, Corrine and Haruka Minor. They are the Children of the Elements of that world (respectively, Air, Metal, Fire, Wood and Water), and each bears the Patternblade of her Element.
- Hel intended to use King Dios of Chaos (who in the UnS universe became Annadil) to "open the way" by blood sacrifice when the time is right. This has been made difficult by Dios's escaping to our Amber through the agency of Anthy, Anno? and Motoko.
- Even the Unicorn and Serpent of the World of the Dead give fealty to Hel.