HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Aldryami Lightbearer - Initiate of Halmalio (Elf)
You serve Halmalio, the Lightbringer, known to humans as Yelmalio, son of Yelm. After his father's death, Yelmalio roamed the countryside trying to stave off the growing darkness, until he was ambushed at the Hill of Gold by Zorak Zoran and Orlanth, who robbed him of much of his power and turned him from a god of Sky and Fire to one simply of Light; he was found by Aldrya, who nursed him back to health and under the name Halmalio, he helped defend the lands of the Elves; without his light, all plants would have died! Yet even valiant Halmalio could do only so much. Then, to the shock of all, Flamal returned from the Underworld and Yelm resumed his throne and life bloomed again! Under Elven leadership, all the Children of the Man Rune stood together and won the I Fought, We Won and the Unity Battle, driving Chaos from Dragon Pass. The light of Halmalio shone as never it had since the Hill of Gold and Chaos was crushed.
The Unity Council then drove north and south, freeing Kaethela and Peloria from evil and defeating the crazed heretical Pentans, forcing them into exile in the steppe. A new golden age began. But then trouble came. With time, Unity faded. The Dwarves and Trolls rejected the light of Nysalor, the god created to embody the unity of all the children of the Man Rune, and instead, we fought each other in the Gbaji Wars, in which the Chaos Lord Gbaji returned in the form of Arkat to bring down death and destruction on all. Since those days, the lands of the Aldryami had shrunk and we have struggled to find a way forward. You hoped the light of Halmalio could show you the way forwards and he has.
You have gone forth from the Taralas Forest to seek allies against the Lunar Empire, which presses hard upon your lands and has overrun much of Dragon Pass; the Red Goddess claims to embody unity but she brings *Chaos* to the world and her people destroyed entire forests in Peloria to feed their lust for destruction. Now the Hero Wars are upon us and we must stand together, or fall before a new Red Darkness.
This is your chance to change the course of destiny.
You can be male or female, as Halmalio accepts both. (His human followers only take men but they seem to have fallen into heresy!
Take this playbook if you want to dig into an alien mindset and be struggling to understand how meat people societies work without the Treesong (a constant psychic rapport among all the Aldryami of a forest) and with such strange gods. And want to command the powers of the Light Rune.
Pick your Attributes
You have Might +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d8.
Pick Three off the list below:
- Blinding Light: Roll +Might against a foe within Near Range. This is a ranged attack. 10+: The target is blinded and takes 1d8 Harm. 7-9: Choose one. On a miss, you blind yourself until the end of your next turn. Darkness creatures get no armor against this attack.
- Extend Treesong: As an action, roll +Magic. On a 10+, you can communicate psychically for the rest of the battle with your allies. On a 7-9, it lasts until the end of your next turn. On a 6 or less, you share a secret with them you didn't want to share, then the link goes dead.
- Light of Halmalio: When you use Read a Person, you can also ask the following questions:
- Is this person tainted by Chaos?
- What is this person's main goal?
- What element are they most strongly attuned to?
- What is their true form?
- Are they friendly to Elves?
- Might of Halmalio: You get +1 Might (Max + 3).
- Power of the Sun: When you first feel the touch of Sunlight each day, roll +Magic. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During that day, until sunset (during your turn, but without taking your action), you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- Blind a target within range for the rest of the scene
- You touch a tree and move to any other tree within sight, up to Far Range
- Ensure that you and up to five companions can see for the rest of the scene, regardless of how dark it is
- Dispel Magical Darkness within Near range
- Inflict +2 Harm against Darkness or Chaos for the rest of the scene
- Revealing Light: As an action, roll +Magic. On a 10+, you get three hold. On a 7-9, you get one hold. On a 6 or less, you get one hold but there is a fifty percent chance it doesn't work right. The target must answer a question truthfully for each point of hold you spend.
- Sunlight and Stars: At will, you can shed bright light in a thirty foot radius or dim light up to sixty feet. If you face magical darkness, roll +Might. 10+: You dispel the darkness and your power works. 7-9: The darkness becomes dim light. 6-: You fail and can't use this again until the next sunrise.
- Tree Road: You touch a tree; you must know the target tree's location. Roll +Might. 10+: You teleport up to ten miles to another tree. 7-9: You can travel one mile. 6+: You end up at the wrong tree and cannot use this power again until you rest.
- Concealment: The caster may spend hold to blend into the environment, chameleon style, as long as you don't move.
- Grow Tool: The caster may spend hold to cause a plant to grow something you need if it can be made from plant matter.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
- Thorn: Spend hold to add +1 Harm to a hit you just made with a wooden weapon
- Trade Talk: Spend hold to communicate with any creature able to understand speech; this includes sign languages for the deaf or hearing impaired.
You have bark which provides 1 point of Armor. You have a Priestess' Staff; pick two normal items.
Armor (Pick One):
- Bark: (1-Armor) (Upgrades to Thick Bark, 2-Armor, 1-Clumsy)
- Wooden Shield: (1-Protective) (Upgrades to Shield of Light, 2-Protective, 1-Clumsy, This shield sheds light over a 30 foot radius; any Darkness or Chaos Creature in that light takes +1 Harm from your attacks.)
Main Weapon (Pick One):
- Spear of Light: (Melee-Hand Thrown-Near 1-Piercing) This spear can be thrown at a foe; it then makes them glow, shedding light in a 10 foot radius and reforms in your hand; you can also make normal melee attacks.
- Wooden Broadsword: (1-Harm Hand Bruise)
- Vine Whip: (Hand/Close? Trap)
Other Items (Pick Three):
- Bone Claws : (+1 Harm if your Might is +2 or +3 Intimate 1-Piercing)
- Bone Mace : (Hand Bruiser)
- Bow: (Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed)
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Short Spear: (Hand 1-Piercing)
- Small Whip: (Hand Trap)
- Fancy Clothing: (You gain +1 Forward on Smooth Talk in formal settings )
- Stag and Tack
- Upgrade your armor or shield or get one or the other
- Tear of Yelmalio: Sheds light in a sixty foot radius if not covered; it is a palm-sized gem cut to look like the sun.
- Necklace with Light Rune Pendant: +1 to your use of Basic Magic
- Tangle Vines: +1 to +Wits based hunting
- Elven Tree: You have moved into an Elven Tree which has grown up within the tula. You can step into it and vanish, melding with the tree. Without magic, no one can tell your tree is special or has an Elf inside it. The Tree keeps watch over itself and can communicate with you by Treesong. A day spent in the tree will purge any disease or poison from your system. While you are within the Tula, if you pass out, you can choose to teleport to the tree, though you must roll a 7 or better on +Magic to make it work. (10+: Instant movement, 7-9: At the end of your next turn.)
- Guardian of a Temple of Flamal: These humans ALSO worship Flamal and have taken you in and given you a tree for a home. You will help to maintain the temple. In return, each season, roll +Wits. On a 10+, choose two blessings. On a 7-9, you get one blessing:
- Forest Walk: You and your allies move at double speed in a forest.
- Swift Growth:: Functions as Basic Magic; burn 1 hold to bring a single plant to maturity in eight hours.
- Sustained by Light: Eight hours of sunlight a day suffices to feed you; you eat only if you can't get sunlight
- Vine Mastery: Functions as Basic Magic; burn 1 hold to make vines move to serve as rope or to grapple people
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of a chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your adventuresome ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of your clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (40 silver).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Orlanth (40 silver).
You can take up to five History slots or keep them empty for later. Each must be a different PC.
- ________ saved me from a Chaos Beast, and so now I owe a debt.
- I met one of the ancestors of ________, when they came to my forest.
- I want to persuade __________ of the need for unity of the peoples of Dragon Pass.
- _______ was the first person I met after leaving the forest and guided me with their wisdom.
- I have studied the ancestors of ___________ and want to see if they live up to those noble folk.
Significant moments related to your History with another PC can earn you both XP.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook