HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
You are a third stage Dragonnewt, known as a Tailed Priest; you finally managed to grow spiritually enough to leave the second stage of life behind and one of the fruits of that is an awareness of two things: your fate in this life is to learn to lead and organize things and that everything you do must be guided by cosmic wisdom if you are to avoid further entanglement in the world. But how do you lead without accumulating karmic debts? How are you going to avoid being trapped at this stage forever?
As a Crested Dragonnewt, you just did what higher stage Dragonnewts told you to do and spent a lot of time making big mistakes. As a Beaked Dragonewt, you stabbed things and you built things. You now are more aware of the bigger picture, though you still take orders from your King. The universe began when the Cosmic Dragon dismembered himself and became Glorantha; some pieces of him, the highest pieces, became Dragons and lesser pieces became lesser things. The goal of your species is to climb that ladder by resolving karmic debts, proper behavior, and gaining wisdom. Few Dragonnewts manage to climb all the way up the ladder, but you may be one of them!
As a Dragonnewt, you use Draconic Magic, which non-Dragons often call 'Draconic Mysticism'. You know that their prattling on about differences between theism, sorcery, mysticism and animism is all an illusion. This is because all division is an illusion; we are all one, if we can only see through the web of lies which is the material world. Calling it Draconic Magic calms those who hate mysticism (because their souls are tainted too much by the material world), so you don't have to kill them and thus incur karmic debt. That being said, overuse of those powers for personal gain can lead to entanglement, yet sometimes, cosmic wisdom guides you to use them.
The time is coming when all must stand together again in the Hero Wars. Spiritual reunification cannot happen if people continue to fight each other. Every kind of unity must be sought. Or a new Great Darkness will come.
Dragonnewts do not have gender; they hatch from eggs laid by real Dragons, then are reborn from those eggs when they die. And they die a lot, both from the dangers of Dragon Pass and from deliberately killing themselves, utumna, either to burn off some of their debt or to literally escape from a situation where other choices would incur debt.
Debts, by the way, are carried forward when reborn; many of the debts you will be trying to pay may have been incurred in previous lives, previous ages, possibly during the Great Darkness.
Play a Dragonnewt if you want to explore an alien perspective, lead and guide others, and fear death far less than the debt incurred from a stranger's generosity.
Pick your Attributes
You have Charm +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
All Dragonnewts get the move Utumna.
- Utumna: When you are killed by foe or by ritual suicide, you are reborn out of your egg, back at the Dragon's Nest you came from. Roll +Magic. 10+: You are reborn at the next dawn if killed by day, the dawn after the next dawn if killed at night. 7-9: You return from the dead after one week for each point of Harm you are down. 6-: You return from the dead after a number of seasons = 10 - your Magic. If your friends are impatient, they can pursue other means to bring you back quicker.
You get all the universal moves and pick four from the list below:
- Control Fire: You have mastery over the element of Fire. When you try to control Fire, roll +Charm. 10+: You can snuff fire or create it up to the size of a bonfire; you can also make it dance and form into shapes. 7-9: As 10 but only up to the size of a torch flame. On a failure, you conjure it on yourself, suffering 1 harm.
- Control Weather: The MC must state if the storm is howling, intense, moderate, drizzling, cloudy, or clear. Roll +Magic. 10+: You gain 3 hold. 7-9: You get 1 hold. On a miss, you get 1 hold, but you suffer -1 ongoing while the altered weather lasts. You can then move it one step by spending 1 hold; you can only move it one step per turn.
- Draconic Fear: When you Intimidate people, you can use +Charm.
- Draconic Hide: You have +1 Armor innately; this is visually obvious and involves physical change.
- Draconic Speech: Your words can kill if need be; Roll +Charm. 10+: Every foe within Hand Range suffers 1d8 Harm 2-Piercing. 7-9: One foe within Hand Range suffers 1d8 Harm. 6: You fail and your foes get to make a Hard Move.
- Draconic Will: You gain +1 Charm (+3 Max)
- Draconic Wings: You can fly as fast as a person can run.
- Eyes of Karma: When you Read a Person, you can ask:
- What is the biggest debt they owe?
- Do I have karmic debt to them and why?
- Have they refused to pay any debts?
- What most blocks their spiritual advancement?
- Karmic Warrior: When you enter a battle, roll +Magic. 10+: You gain 3 hold. 7-9: You get 1 hold. On a miss, you get 1 hold but it can only be used to help whatever other PC most recently helped you in some way. You can spend it during the battle, 1 hold for one benefit:
- When you suffer Harm, you heal an Ally for an equal amount.
- When an ally suffers Harm, the foe takes an equal amount.
- You interpose yourself, taking an attack meant for an ally, rushing to within Hand range of the ally if need be to do so. You gain +2 forward on your next action.
- When you are disarmed, a foe of your choice within Close range is disarmed as well.
- When you are staggered, a foe of your choice within Close range is staggered as well.
- Obligating Gift: When you need leverage over someone to try and use Smooth Talk, roll +Magic. 10+: They owe you from a past life; you can get leverage by releasing the past debt. 7-9: They owe you just enough that they have to accept a gift of 20 silver or something of equal value, which serves as the leverage you need, even if they don't *want* it. On a miss, you owe THEM a debt and must give them 20 silver or something equivalent; you can still try to find leverage in some other way but can't use this power again on them.
- Paying Your Debt: When you attack a foe who has done Harm to you, you gain +1 ongoing until you inflict Harm on them.
- Prehensile Tail: You have fine control of your tail; it can pick things up by wrapping around them, you can hang from things, you gain Advantage to Defy Danger when climbing, and the like. It can hold a weapon but doesn't give you extra attack actions.
COME BACK TO LATER
You have beautiful ceremonial robes and headgear.
You have a Korff and two Draconic Items.
Korff: A sword made from the bones of your past lives. Used in one hand, it does 2-Harm and in two-hands, it does 3-Harm. In both cases it has a Range of Hand.
Draconic Items (pick two):
- Thunderbeast Hide Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective). If you hammer on your shield, it makes a very loud noise which can be heard up to Far Range.
- Bag of Dragon's Teeth: Once per season, you can plant these; the next morning, they will have grown into a medium gang which will serve you for one week
- Ceremonial Staff: A wooden staff with runes carved into it. (+1d4 Harm to Souls, Spirits, and Essences, Hand).
- Klanth: A wooden spear with many obsidian and bone blades which stick out of the sides of the shaft. (Hand 1-Piercing) If you have Karmic Warrior, you can burn 1 hold, suffering 1d4 Harm to inflict 1d4 Harm 2-Piercing on all foes within Hand range and stagger them)
- Dragon Ring: A golden ring of a dragon swallowing its own tail. When you Read a Person, you get 1 extra Hold; this stacks with Eyes of Karma.
- Guided by Karma: You have periodic visions which lead you to ancient caches of wealth which may assist in your work. Each season, roll +Magic. On a 10+, you find 40 silver or items of equal value. On a 7-9, you have 20 silver or items of equal value.
- Guest of the Temple of Ernalda: The temple of Ernalda has been kind enough to take you in and you assist them with some of your time. When at the stead, Ernalda's blessing gives you +1 ongoing to Read a Person and Read a Situation.
- In Service to a Chief: You have sworn service to a chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your adventuresome ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of your clan. Further, this gives you access to gossip and secrets. Roll +Charm once a Season. On a 10+ you get 2 pieces of leverage on clan or tribe members; on 7-9, you get one piece of leverage. Add +2 to the roll during Dark Season (everyone's confined and talking more) and -2 during Earth Season (the harvest is too urgent for gossip).
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook