HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
You are a first stage Dragonnewt, known as a Crested Dragonnewt; you have only lived a few times so far, being reborn in your egg whenever you screw up... which happens a lot. In this first stage, you get ordered around by higher level Dragonnewts a lot. You're kind of short and you can't eat meat. Well, you can if you want to puke it up and possibly die and have to be reborn *again*. You have been told you will die hundreds of times in the future and you can believe it. You're short compared to other Dragonewts... humans... elves... trolls... You're a touch taller than the Mostali, at least.
The universe began when the Cosmic Dragon dismembered himself and became Glorantha; some pieces of him, the highest pieces, became Dragons and lesser pieces became lesser things. The goal of your species is to climb that ladder by resolving karmic debts, proper behavior, and gaining wisdom. Few Dragonnewts manage to climb all the way up the ladder, but you may be one of them! Right now, you're at the bottom of the ladder, experiencing new things and wandering around getting in trouble and figuring out how to not get entangled in the world... by getting entangled in the world A LOT.
As a Dragonnewt, you use Draconic Magic, which non-Dragons often call 'Draconic Mysticism'. You know that their prattling on about differences between theism, sorcery, mysticism and animism is all an illusion. Well, you've been *told* that, but you don't know yet what the differences really are. Calling it Draconic Magic calms those who hate mysticism (because their souls are tainted too much by the material world), so you don't have to kill them and thus incur karmic debt.
You've been assigned to go out into the world and use your skills and report back on what you see to the Tailed Priests. How you're supposed to do this without incurring too much karmic debt, you're not sure, but you do your best to ensure your relations are based on reciprocity so debt doesn't build up. This is also a chance to pay off old debts; thankfully, you don't have too many of those yet.
Dragonnewts do not have gender; they hatch from eggs laid by real Dragons, then are reborn from those eggs when they die. And they die a lot, both from the dangers of Dragon Pass and from deliberately killing themselves, utumna, either to burn off some of their debt or to literally escape from a situation where other choices would incur debt.
Debts, by the way, are carried forward when reborn; many of the debts you will be trying to pay may have been incurred in previous lives, previous ages, possibly during the Great Darkness, though if you were around in the Great Darkness and you're only a Beaked Dragonnewt... well, it's not good.
Play a Dragonnewt if you want to explore an alien perspective, try new things, and fear death far less than the debt incurred from a stranger's generosity.
Pick your Attributes
You have Grace +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d8.
All Dragonnewts get the move Utumna.
- Utumna: When you are killed by foe or by ritual suicide, you are reborn out of your egg, back at the Dragon's Nest you came from. Roll +Magic. 10+: You are reborn at the next dawn if killed by day, the dawn after the next dawn if killed at night. 7-9: You return from the dead after one week for each point of Harm you are down. 6-: You return from the dead after a number of seasons = 10 - your Magic. If your friends are impatient, they can pursue other means to bring you back quicker.
You get all the universal moves and pick two from the list below:
- Draconic Grace: You gain +1 Grace (+3 Max)
- Draconic Leap: You can move two range steps in a single turn by jumping; you can jump past enemies. This move does not require Defying Danger to get past foes.
- Dragon Sniper: When you enter a battle armed with a ranged weapon, roll +Grace. 10+: You gain 3 hold. 7-9: You get 1 hold. On a miss, you get 1 hold but it can only be used to help whatever other PC most recently helped you in some way. You can spend it during the battle, 1 hold for one benefit:
- You specify a foe within range, who you either Harm, Stagger, or Disarm
- You pin a foe down with missile fire; they cannot move or attack before your next turn.
- You block a ranged attack within range of your missile weapon, neutralizing it.
- You hop one range increment away from a foe, then can make a normal Volley against him.
- You do +1d4 Harm with a ranged attack, applied after you hit.
- Paying Your Debt: When you attack a foe who has done Harm to you, you gain +1 ongoing until you inflict Harm on them.
- Prehensile Tail: You have fine control of your tail; it can pick things up by wrapping around them, you can hang from things, you gain Advantage to Defy Danger when climbing, and the like. It can hold a weapon but doesn't give you extra attack actions.
- Run Away In Fear: When a foe who is bigger than you moves within Hand range, roll +Grace: 10+: You immediately flee from them, escaping to Close range. 7-9: They get a shot at you (You can use Defy Danger to dodge it), then you escape to Close range. 6-: Nothing happens.
- Service: When you obey a direct order from someone else and suffer Harm as a result, you gain +1 Forward on your next action.
Roll +Magic. 10+: Gain 3 Hold. 7-9: Gain 1 Hold. 6-: You suffer a penalty listed in the spell.
Choose 2 which you start the game knowing.
- Air Boost: Spend 1 hold to give a ranged attack +1d4 Harm or +1 Piercing. You can spend multiple hold on the same attack to add both.
- Darkness: Spend 1 hold to shroud yourself in darkness; spend 3 hold to generate a 10 foot radius cloud of darkness around you, though you can then move inside it or out of it.
- Earth Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once. On a 6-: Reduce your combined total of Armor and Protective by 1 to a minimum of 0.
- Fire Aura: Spend 1 hold to inflict 1d6 Harm 1-Piercing on anyone who hits you with a melee attack.
- Summon Wave: Spend 1 hold to push a foe who is within near range 1 range increment further away. Spend 3 hold to attack every foe in Intimate or Hand Range, doing 1d6 Harm and pushing them out to Close Range.
COME BACK TO LATER
Your hide provides protection equivalent to one Armor.
You have a Dragon Sling and two Draconic weapons.
Dragon Sling: You collect scales shed by yourself and others, then hone them to a razor edge, then fire them out of your sling at people. (Far 1-Piercing)
Secondary weapons (pick two):
- Chokin: Throwing weapons made from Dragon's Teeth. (Close 1-Piercing)
- Gami: 3 pronged bone blade. (Hand)
- Klanth: A wooden spear with many obsidian and bone blades which stick out of the sides of the shaft. (Hand 1-Piercing)
- Tanik: A punch dagger made from your own past bones. (Harm equal to your Might, Intimate range)
- Wooden Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective)
- Mercenary: You spend part of your time doing mercenary work. Each season, roll +Wits. On a 10+, you have 40 silver wealth surplus. On a 7-9, you have 20 silver. Add +2 to the roll during Fire Season and -2 during Dark Season.
- Renegade: You have a hideout in the wilds stocked with a few days of supplies. When in or near your hideout, get +1 on hunting or being hunted, and when in it get +1 armor and +1 ongoing due to prepared defences and traps.
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of an Orlanthi chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your strange troll ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of that clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (40 silver).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Orlanth (40 silver).
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook