HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Duck Boat Captain - Initiate of Issaries
You initiated to Issaries, son of Larnste (Greater God of Movement, now dead) and Hirana Ilor (Greater God of Harmony, now dead). He is the Lesser God of the Communications Rune. He created Tradetalk, so that all peoples could communicate and share and trade with one another, and many other languages of men, though it was Lhankor Mhy who figured out how to write those languages down. They are old friends, even if they sometimes drive each other crazy. He survived the Fall of the Spike, for he was off on a trading trip, and he joined Orlanth and the other Lightbringers when they descended into the Underworld and brought Yelm back to life, ending the Great Darkness. Issaries it was who spread the news that the Sun had returned and the Darkness was over.
Issaries believes peace and cooperation are better than war and violence, though he will fight if he must. Like Ernalda, he reminds you that There is Always Another Way. He also teaches that Everyone Wants Something They Don't Have, and knowing that desire will help you find a better way.
You are a Duck, one of the Children of the Man Rune but also Children of the Beast Rune, and your people constantly battle the undead of the Upland Marsh, the great duty of your people in Dragon Pass. In the Golden Age, the Keets, bird-folk, flourished in the Kingdom of Ganderland. Unfortunately, Yelm was jealous of the glory of Ganderland and when it would not bend to his will, he sent his armies, led by Urvairinus, God of Armies, to destroy it. Ganderland burned and the Keets scattered. Orlanth, who hated Yelm, gladly took us in, for he was a generous lord to those in need. During the Great Darkness, your people battled the Chaos of the Upland Marsh and kept it in check; at the I Fought, We Won, our fleet hauled warriors to the battlefield; at the Unity Battle, we defeated Kargar the Black, the Necromancer of whom Delicti is but an apprentice. We have kept the Upland Marsh in check ever since.
Ducks live in elevated villages at the fringe of the Marsh and in the wetlands around it. Ducks have faced a lot of persecution by the Lunars because they refuse to grovel before the Red Goddess; you all look forward to the day the Red Moon falls. And fall it will. Your government is much like that of other Orlanthi, with a moot of all adults which chooses the Ring, who choose and advise the Chief or King. Families live more collectively, though, pooling your eggs to a common nest for security's sake; outsiders are not allowed near your eggs. Too many freaks think they make great omlettes.
Issaries accepts anyone as an initiate. He doesn't require you put on a silly beard, either. Unless you want to. After all, Everyone Wants Something They Don't Have.
Take this playbook if you want to be a Duck with a silver tongue.
Pick your Attributes
You have Charm +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
You start with all the Basic Moves and Pick Three off the list below:
- Boatmaster: When you steer a boat, you can go upstream at the speed the current normally would push you downstream; going downstream, you move twice as fast as anyone else riding the current. If you are on open water and using wind, add +50% to your base speed.
- Born with Water Rune: You can breathe underwater and swim as fast as a horse can gallop. If you are steering a boat, you gain +1 to all rolls to steer it.
- Everyone Wants Something They Don't Have: When you use Read a Person, whatever you roll, you can always ask How Do I Get Them to ______ and get a true answer.
- Fair Dealer: When you Smooth Talk, you can declare you will pay immediately; if you do so, add one to your picks off the list. (You must then pay immediately).
- Issaries' Roads: At the start of a trip, roll +Magic. On 10+, you travel at triple speed. On 7-9, you travel at double speed. On a miss you will suffer a setback during the day which slows your journey. This benefits everyone travelling with you.
- Master Negotiator: When you go into making a deal, roll +Charm. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the dealmaking, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- Know what the other party wants
- Add an extra result on a Smooth Talk roll.
- Add +2 to a Smooth Talk roll (does not stack)
- Add +2 to a Read a Person roll (does not stack)
- Add an extra result on a Read a Person roll.
- Smooth Talker: You get +1 Charm (Max +3).
- Wards: You magically protect the goods in your boat. If someone tries to steal from your boat, roll +Magic. On a 10+, you're instantly alerted and their escape is slowed to half speed. On a 7-9, you pick one of the two results from a 10+. On a miss, you are oblivious to what's going down.
- Repair: The caster may spend hold to fix a broken item up to the size of a wagon;the bigger the object, the more hold.
- Seal Bargain: Spend hold to seal a deal made with Smooth Talk or similar moves. Anyone who violates it suffers a curse (for the Issaries, a -1 to actions, for NPCs, something unpleasant but not fatal) until they atone and carry out the deal.
- Speed Boat: The caster may spend 1 hold to gain Advantage on a roll which would benefit from making a boat faster; you can spend 3 hold and gain Advantage on such rolls for the entire scene.
- Trade Talk: Spend hold to communicate with any creature able to understand speech; this includes sign languages for the deaf or hearing impaired.
- Summon Wave: Spend 1 hold to push a foe who is within near range 1 range increment further away. Spend 3 hold to attack every foe in Intimate or Hand Range, doing 1d6 Harm and pushing them out to Close Range.
You begin with a small sailing boat suitable for river or coastal travel, along with a five-duck crew; they do not fight unless the boat is attacked, but function as a small gang under those conditions. Pick one serious weapon and 3 Duck Items.
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Cutlass: (1-Harm Hand Cleave)
- Crossbow: (1-Harm Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed 2-Piercing Reload)
- Two-Handed Sword: (2-Harm Hand 2-Hand
Duck Items (pick three):
- Bow: (Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed)
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Longsword : (1-Harm Hand)
- Short Spear: (Hand 1-Piercing)
- Wooden Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective)
- Upgrade to leather armor worth 1-armor
- Fancy Clothing: +1 on +Charm checks in formal situations or with those impressed by wealth.
- Collection of Suitable Gifts: This may be used once a session to provide leverage.
- Two Oxen and a Wagon - for off-water travel.
- Bag of Runestones: Once a session, you can gain Advantage on one +Magic roll.
- Boat Armory: Your gang functions as a medium gang for defending your boat, because they are well-equipped!
- Big Boat Captain: You have a large boat; your crew counts as a medium gang, you can easily haul a lot of goods and your Heroband and you get a wagon and oxen you keep on it too. You make enough money to break even; adventuring will likely be what makes you rich. Also you can go into deep ocean, not that Sartar has any but you could sail down the Creek-Stream River to the sea!
- Hand of Lhankor Mhy: You work for a Lhankor Mhy temple as their hand in the world, so they can stay home and study. Once a season, you can study at the Temple; roll +Magic. On a 6 or less, you grow a beard and on a duck, it looks pretty stupid. On a 10+, you gain use of one Grey Sage basic magic for the rest of the season. On a 7-9, you can either fail gracefully, or get the magic, but choose a curse:
- You forget one of your basic magics until the end of the season
- You take one harm whenever you use the magic.
- You accidentally destroy some of your possessions (Lose 40 silver or its equivalent in items).
- You smell like old, musty paper; once per session, the MC can impose -2 on a Charm check of yours due to this. This goes away when the season ends.
- Trader: You buy and sell goods for the clan; each season, roll +Charm. 10+: You gain 40 silver. 7-9: You gain 20 silver. This is on side trades.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook