HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Earth Priestess - Initiate of Ernalda
Ernalda was born in the Golden Age, one of the daughters of Asrelia, whose sister Ty Kora Tek is now the guardian of the dead. Ernalda's sisters were Esrolia and Maran, who once danced for joy across the open fields with her thundershakers. She was there when plants first grew and animals first flew, ran, and swam. In time, the Celestial Court appointed Yelm, Lord of the Sun, head of the Fire Tribe, as Emperor of the Universe, probably because the Celestial Court was not too bright. Yelm forced a woman from each of the other major tribes to marry him (Darkness, Earth, Storm, and Sea), so he could control everyone with his arbitrary laws with no regard for relationships or kinship. Ernalda was put to work as a maid, when not bearing him children like Yelmalio and Yelnora. Yelmalio tried to be like his father, while Yelnora seemed discontent with both her parents. But Ernalda was their mother and did her best to love and guide them, and admired Yelnora for not bowing before Yelm's tyranny as her brother had. Then came Orlanth, who rebelled against the Emperor and faced him in three contests; then they fought because the Emperor cheated and Orlanth slew him; at Ernalda's advice, he liberated all of Yelm's wives, though Dendara the Weaver, of the Water Tribe, remained loyal to Yelm even in his death. Ernalda did not press the point because No One Can Make You Do Anything. Yelorna helped them to escape the palace, then set out to find her own path. Ernalda returned to the Earth Tribe, but Orlanth had fallen in love with her, and he did the Three Great Deeds to woo her. So they were wed in the Storm Age, when Orlanth was King of the World and Yelmalio shone as the Second Sun, taking the lead in the Fire Tribe with Dendara to advise him. He did not rule so harshly as his father and Ernalda hoped a better age had begun.
Unfortunately, No One Can Make You Do Anything and Violence Is Always An Option didn't work well as a foundation of government and too often, Orlanth would not listen to Ernalda's reminders that There Is Always Another Way. The result was that everything went increasingly to hell and then the Unholy Trio betrayed everyone and invited Chaos into the world. One by one, everyone began to die. Yelmalio was maimed at the Hill of Gold and the Second Sun went out. Elmal did his best to light the Storm Tribe lands but it was not enough and more and more steads were destroyed by Chaos. Ernalda, her sisters, her daughters, all began to sicken and die. Orlanth listened to Ernalda's wise words and set out on the Lightbringer's Quest, to bring back the Sun. She put the stead in readiness for when he returned, a difficult task, then laid down and slept until his return.
When the Sun rose again, she woke and on Orlanth's return, all was in readiness for the sowing of seed and the sheering of the sheep. Then the Great Compromise was made and she and Dendara assisted Arachne Solar in the making of the great net of the Compromise. She tried again to persuade Dendara to leave Yelm, fearing he would return to his wicked ways, but she insisted she had to stay, to keep him walking the road of justice. Sometimes she has succeeded and sometimes failed. But No One is Always Right.
Ernalda is the greatest goddess of the Storm Tribe and you are her priestess. Pledged to her, you are a leader by soft power; where Orlanth's initiates stomp around shouting and stabbing, you listen and watch and then you act, building connections between people to move events. A large part of your job is telling them not to hit walls with their face, then guiding them to act more wisely after they break their face. But if you must fight, then you can call on the power of the Angry Earth, and living in the mountains and hills, your people are keenly aware of the Earth's power.
Priestesses of Ernalda are usually female, but men can initiate to Nandan, gaining the same powers; he is her son by Heler. (Like Orlanth, Ernalda has many lovers in her myths.) You can be Human or a Duck.
Pick your Attributes
You have Magic +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
- Authority of Ernalda (Human): When you are dealing with people initiated to the Storm Tribe, you can roll +Magic when using Smooth Talk.
- Create Island (Duck) When you are in water which is at least 50 feet across, or in a swampy area, you can roll +Magic. 10+: An area 20 feet across rises up, forming an island of solid ground which rises high enough to stay out of the water if it is subject to tides and the like. It stays this way until the next Sacred Time. 7-9: The island is unstable and collapses within 1d6 days after you get off it. 6-: The power fails and can't be used again until tomorrow at dawn.
Pick Two Moves:
- Earth Queen: You get +1 Magic (Max +3).
- Earthshaker’s Dance: When you do the Earthshaker Dance, roll +Magic. On a 7-9 hold 1, on a 10+ hold 3. While you continue the dance, you may spend your hold 1 for 1 to invoke the following (You may not choose the same effect twice in a row.):
- Violent tremors shake the ground around you. Everyone and everything else within Hand or Intimate Range takes 1d8 Harm and falls prone.
- A crack in the Earth opens up under a target of your choice at close range inflicting 1d8 Harm. They fall in and are grappled.
- The Earth shudders as an area effect at close range causing everyone else to fall over or concentrate only on staying standing. PCs must Defy Danger to do anything
- Eyes of Ernalda: When you enter a social situation, roll +Wits. On a 7-9 ask the MC one of the questions below, on a 10+ ask the MC 3 of the questions below:
- Who is formally the boss here?
- Who, if anyone, is actually in charge?
- Who can I most easily recruit as an ally?
- Who is most hostile to me and why?
- What does this group want for peace?
- Favours of the Earth: At the beginning of a session, roll +Magic. On a 7-9 hold 1, on a 10+ hold 3. Spend your hold at any time during the session 1 for 1 to:
- Grant a character +1 forward
- Heal a conscious character for 2d6 Harm
- Grant a character +1 Armor for the duration of a battle
- Grant a character +1 extra hold on a move they are about to attempt that grants hold, whatever they roll.
- Hard as the Earth: You get +1 Protective which can't raise your Protective above +2.
- Labors of Ernalda: Ernalda is versed in every domestic task from household management to churning butter. Whether for practical reasons or to show off, you can draw on her power to perform any domestic task in five minutes or less. Roll +Magic. 10+: You do the task flawlessly. You gain +1 Forward to uses of +Charm against those observing for the rest of the day. 7-9: You do an adequate job. +1 Forward to your next +Charm action against an observer. 6-: Everything goes wrong and you suffer disadvantage to +Charm actions against observers the rest of the day.
- Summon Earth Guardian: roll+Magic. You summon a snake-like earth elemental that churns through and under the Earth. It stays for one scene or the duration of a battle (Inflicts 1d8 + 1 Harm, attacks with your might at a distance, 2 Armor) and can carry small objects as well as fight.
- Dispel: Spend 1 hold to dispel any active spell, or cancel a spell while it is being cast.
- Ernalda's Glory: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 on any attempt to Smooth Talk
- Heal: Spend hold to heal 1d6 Harm from an injury to yourself or another character.
- Repair Earth: Spend hold to repair a small object of copper, earth, or stone (including processed materials like a ceramic pot). Spend 3 hold to fix a man-sized object like a statue or a hole in a wall.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 Armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
Choose one of the following Regalia of Ernalda:
- Crown Of Ernalda : +1 to any Charm check against followers of the Storm Tribe gods
- Guardian Statue : It can survive up to 6 harm before needing repair in a worship ceremony at a temple of Ernalda and it has 2-Armor. It inflicts 1d8 Harm at Intimate or Hand range when commanded to attack and its Might = your Charm. You must actively command it.
- Priestess' Staff : (2-Handed 1-Protective, +1d4 Harm against Daimons, Souls, Spirits, and Essences)
As personal possessions, you may choose three of the following:
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Quarterstaff: (Hand 2-Handed 1-Protective)
- Lustrous jewelry (You can give jewelry gifts once a session as leverage if your target desires wealth or jewelry)
- Beautiful clothing for special occasions and religious ceremonies (+1 Charm in such situations)
- Practical clothing good for travel and bad weather (+1 to rolls to deal with such things as appropriate.)
- A horse and tack
- Varna, a young assistant skilled at dress making, hair styling and makeup (grants +1 Charm for a scene once per session, with preparation)
- Sukie, a young assistant that is resourceful and trustworthy. She can carry messages and be watchful for you; she also acts as a scribe.
- Necklace with the Earth Rune carved into a gem: +1 with Basic Magic
- A Strange Necklace of Ernalda, But with Two Heads: +1 to use Eyes of Ernalda.
- Envoy: The Chief or a Temple employs you as an envoy. You are known and trusted, which gives you +2 whenever you try to talk your Chief or the Ring (or your employing Priests) into something.
- Priestess of Ernalda: You serve in the local temple of Ernalda. Once a season, you can pray at the Temple; roll +Magic. On a 10+, you gain two blessings which can be invoked once per season. On a 7-9, you gain one blessing:
- When invoked, you can roll Smooth Talk with advantage as you invoke Erlanda's authority.
- For one scene, you have 3 armor against all weapons made of metal or wood.
- Ernalda leads you to an ancient cache of wealth (gain 40 silver and 3 mundane possessions, like a beautiful dress or a nice rug)
- Cup of Healing: Once per session, you can heal 2d6 damage to someone within Hand range of you. Including yourself.
- Travelling Priestess: You roam as Ernalda calls you. You've been assigned a group of Babeester Gor Initiate bodyguards (small gang)
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook