HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Faithful Guardian - Initiate of Elmal
You initiated to Elmal, the son of Emperor Yelm (who embodies the Fire Rune) and Ernalda (who embodies the Earth Rune). He is the Lesser God of Horsemen and Watchmen, the Sun at Dawn. Elmal it was who defeated Hippogriff and from him made the first horses. Elmal it was who was befriended by Orlanth after Chalanna Arroy healed his spiritual blindness. Elmal it was who watched over Orlanth's Stead when Orlanth went on the Lightbringer's Quest. Thrice he resisted the lies of Gbaji, for he is the faithful one, who cannot be bought or tempted.
Elmal is a warrior, knowing that Violence is Always An Option. But he is a *guardian*, who does not rush headlong into battle like his lord, but instead, thinks before he acts. Further, he believes that To Break an Oath is to Break Oneself, and thus, he is the Faithful One.
Elmal accepts both male and female initiates, unlike Yelmalio, his evil twin. Indeed, he probably does this to spite Yelmalio. You just need to be willing to wear his sign and be ready to fight when duty commands.
You can be a human, Elf, or Duck.
Take this playbook if you want to be a thoughtful warrior and a horseman.
Pick your Attributes
You have Might +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
Pick one Racial Move:
- Bring the Dawn (Elf): Roll +Magic to activate. 10+: You shine over a sixty foot radius (out to Close Range); creatures of Darkness within it take 1d8 Harm; the light lasts the rest of the scene; 7-9: You illuminate a 30 foot radius for the rest of the scene. 6-: You can't try again, until the next dawn.
- Flying Mount (Duck): This only works when the Sun is in the sky, though clouds don't block it. Roll +Magic to activate. 10+: Your steed grows wings of flame and takes to the sky, flying at full speed until the next sunset; 7-9: As 10+ but only half its normal speed. 6-: You can't try again, until the next dawn.
- Smite Servants of Gbaji (Human): You do +1d4 Harm against anyone who has lied to you or broken an oath, and against actual cultists of Gbaji.
Pick Two off the list below:
- Charger: If no one is engaging you, you can charge a foe, moving up to two range bands and use Smite Foe on them, adding +1 to the Harm inflicted.
- The Faithful One: If you get a 6+ on a Resist Magic roll which would compel you to act against allies, you may reroll the check the first time.
- Followup: When you get a 7+ on Smite Foe, you can move to immediately engage another enemy, though you don't get an immediate attack.
- Horsemaster: When you ride a horse, it ignores rough terrain and can move at full speed as long as there aren't physical barriers to its passage.
- Master Planner: When you go into Battle, roll +Might. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the Battle, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- Add +2 to an ally's roll they are about to make
- Cause an attack on yourself or an ally to fail
- Shoot an onrushing foe for your bow's Harm, if it is in your hands.
- Move to engage a foe without drawing any attacks, including if you are disengaging from another foe
- Make an attack target you instead of an ally
- Mounted Defense: When you try to Defy Danger while mounted, roll +Might.
- Smite Darkness: When you strike a creature of Darkness or Chaos, roll +Magic. On a 10+, they are blinded for the rest of the battle. On a 7-9, they go temporarily blind; the next person to attack them has Advantage. On a miss, nothing happens.
- Speed of Elmal: At the start of a trip, roll +Magic. On 10+, you travel at triple speed. On 7-9, you travel at double speed. On a miss you will suffer a setback during the day which slows your journey. This benefits everyone travelling with you.
- Strength of Faith: You get +1 Might (Max +3).
- Tactical Training: When you try to Read a Situation on a battlefield, roll +Might.
- Fire Arrow: Spend 1 hold to attack a foe with a 1d8 Harm 2-Piercing bolt of flame with a range of Near.
- Fire Walker: Spend 1 hold to protect you and your steed from fire for a round; you can use hold on allies too. You ignore ordinary fire and reduce Fire attacks by 4 points.
- Flame Weapon: The caster may spend hold to set a weapon ablaze for the rest of the scene. It now adds +1 Harm and 1-Piercing to damage and can set things on fire.
- Heal Mount: Spend hold to instantly heal 1d8 Harm to your mount or another one you can touch.
- Horse Speech: The caster may spend hold to talk to any horse, allowing him to use actions like Smooth Talk on it
Mount (Pick One):
- Horse: Favored by Humans
- Giant Riding Swan: Favored by Ducks, tends to be vicious. Cannot fly while ridden without an appropriate power.
- Stag: Favored by Elves
Armor (Pick One):
- Leather Armor with Golden Studs: (1-Armor) (Upgrades to Golden Breastplate, 2-Armor, 1-Clumsy, +2 Armor vs. Fire)
- Protective Tattoos: (1-Armor) (Upgrades to Full Body Tattoos, 2-Armor, 1-Clumsy)
- Wooden Shield: (1-Protective) (Upgrades to Golden Shield, 2-Protective, 1-Clumsy, +2 Protective vs. Fire)
Main Weapon (Pick One):
- Broadsword: (1-Harm Hand Cleave)
- Lance: (1-Harm Hand/Close? Mounted)
Other Items (Pick Three):
- Bow: (Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed)
- Brace of Javelins : (Thrown-Close 1-Piercing)
- Hand Axe: (Hand Throw-Close)
- Longsword : (1-Harm Hand)
- Upgrade your Armor one step or get a second form of armor. Keep in mind that Armor and Protective stack but neither stacks with itself.
- Lens of Rigsdal: Gazing through this glass circle enables you to see clearly 10X as far; prized by Elmali sentries.
- Fancy Clothing: +1 on +Charm checks in formal situations or with those impressed by wealth.
- Necklace with the Fire Rune carved into a gem: +1 with Basic Magic
- Bracers of Wakefulness: If you need to go without sleep, roll +Magic: 10+: You can go all night without getting tired, nor do you ever need to catch up. 7-9: You can go without sleep now but must catch up later. 6-: Item fails and can't be reactivated until after the next sunset; you're on your own.
- Headless Statue of Zorak Zoran: When you face Darkness or Chaos, roll +Magic: 10+: +2 Armor against such creatures for the rest of the scene. 7-9: You must sacrifice something to get the 10 result. 6-: Darkness and Chaos creatures see you as very tasty for the rest of the scene.
- Magical Feedbag: Your steed never goes hungry with this.
- Landholder: You have a homestead, fields and maybe some cattle or sheep making you a respected community member. They are worked by a relative or thrall. Each season, roll +Wits. On a 10+, you have 40 silver surplus. On a 7-9, you have 20 silver. Choose 1 season you get +2 to the roll during and one you get -2 to the roll during and explain why.
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of a chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your adventuresome ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of your clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (2 wealth).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Orlanth (2 wealth).
- Priest of Elmal: Your clan has a formal temple to Elmal and you are one of its priests. At the start of each season, you can make a 20 silver sacrifice and roll +Magic: 10+: Pick two blessings. 7-9: Pick one blessing. 6-: Elmal thanks you for your service but that's all.
- You can use one of the other racial moves for the season.
- You can use a Basic Magic you haven't learned yet for the rest of the season
- You create an ever-burning torch; it illuminates out to close range around you with bright light and out to near range with an amount equal to moonlight. Creatures of Darkness instinctively fear it.
- You gain advantage on any roll to detect lies or sneaking people or creatures.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook