HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Golden Voice - Initiate of Issaries
You initiated to Issaries, son of Larnste (Greater God of Movement, now dead) and Hirana Ilor (Greater God of Harmony, now dead). He is the Lesser God of the Communications Rune. He created Tradetalk, so that all peoples could communicate and share and trade with one another, and many other languages of men, though it was Lhankor Mhy who figured out how to write those languages down. They are old friends, even if they sometimes drive each other crazy. He survived the Fall of the Spike, for he was off on a trading trip, and he joined Orlanth and the other Lightbringers when they descended into the Underworld and brought Yelm back to life, ending the Great Darkness. Issaries it was who spread the news that the Sun had returned and the Darkness was over.
Issaries believes peace and cooperation are better than war and violence, though he will fight if he must. Like Ernalda, he reminds you that There is Always Another Way. He also teaches that Everyone Wants Something They Don't Have, and knowing that desire will help you find a better way.
Issaries accepts anyone as an initiate. He doesn't require you put on a silly beard, either. Unless you want to. After all, Everyone Wants Something They Don't Have.
Take this playbook if you want to make trades and talk your way out of problems.
Pick your Attributes
You have Charm +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
You start with all the Basic Moves and Pick Three off the list below:
- Bluff: When you try to Instill Fear in someone who doesn't know you well, roll +Charm.
- Everyone Wants Something They Don't Have: When you use Read a Person, whatever you roll, you can always ask How Do I Get Them to ______ and get a true answer.
- Fair Dealer: When you Smooth Talk, you can declare you will pay immediately; if you do so, add one to your picks off the list. (You must then pay immediately).
- Issaries' Roads: At the start of a trip, roll +Magic. On 10+, you travel at triple speed. On 7-9, you travel at double speed. On a miss you will suffer a setback during the day which slows your journey. This benefits everyone travelling with you.
- Master Negotiator: When you go into making a deal, roll +Charm. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the dealmaking, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- Know what the other party wants
- Add an extra result on a Smooth Talk roll.
- Add +2 to a Smooth Talk roll (does not stack)
- Add +2 to a Read a Person roll (does not stack)
- Add an extra result on a Read a Person roll.
- Smooth Talker: You get +1 Charm (Charm +3).
- Wagonmaster: When you drive a wagon, it ignores rough terrain and can move at full speed as long as there aren't physical barriers to its passage.
- Wards: You magically protect the goods in your wagon. If someone tries to steal from your wagon, roll +Magic. On a 10+, you're instantly alerted and their escape is slowed to half speed. On a 7-9, you pick one of the two results from a 10+. On a miss, you are oblivious to what's going down.
- Mobility: The caster may spend hold to gain +1 on any move requiring speed or maneuverability such as a race, chase or escaping a threat.
- Repair: The caster may spend hold to fix a broken item up to the size of a wagon.
- Seal Bargain: Spend hold to seal a deal made with Smooth Talk or similar moves. Anyone who violates it suffers a curse (for the Issaries, a -1 to actions, for NPCs, something unpleasant but not fatal) until they atone and carry out the deal.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
- Trade Talk: Spend hold to communicate with any creature able to understand speech; this includes sign languages for the deaf or hearing impaired.
You begin with two oxen and a wagon they pull. Pick one serious weapon and three Issaries Items.
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Broadsword: (1-Harm Hand Cleave)
- Two-Handed Axe: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- Two-Handed Sword: (2-Harm Hand 2-Hand
Issaries Items (pick two):
- Bow: (Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed)
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Longsword : (1-Harm Hand)
- Short Spear: (Hand 1-Piercing)
- Wooden Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective)
- Upgrade to light mail worth 1-armor
- Portable Hut: This folds up into a one foot across cube. Roll +Magic: 10+: It unfolds into a large hall with room for ten people, a fireplace, enough food for dinner and breakfast, and three spectral servants to meet your needs. 7-9: It unfolds into a small hall with room for five people and a fireplace. 6-: Mahome appears and lectures you for being lazy. You suffer -1 ongoing until you get 8 hours of sleep and you can't try this again until the next dawn.
- Fancy Clothing: +1 on +Charm checks in formal situations or with those impressed by wealth.
- A Personal Riding Horse and Tack
- Necklace with the Communications Rune carved into a gem: +1 with Basic Magic
- Trade Goods: Once a session, you have exactly what you need to get leverage on someone.
- Mysterious Statuette of Lhankor Mhy Trapped Inside a Stone Cube: You can use the Lhankor Mhy move, Things Speak.
- Four man canoe and fishing gear.
- Envoy: The Chief or a Temple employs you as an envoy. You are known and trusted, which gives you +2 whenever you try to talk your Chief or the Ring (or your employing Priests) into something.
- Hand of Lhankor Mhy: You work for a Lhankor Mhy temple as their hand in the world, so they can stay home and study. Once a season, you can study at the Temple; roll +Magic. On a 10+, you gain use of one Grey Sage basic magic for the rest of the season. On a 7-9, you can either fail gracefully, or get the magic, but choose a curse:
- You forget one of your basic magics until the end of the season
- You take one harm whenever you use the magic.
- You accidentally destroy some of your possessions (Lose 2 wealth).
- You smell like old, musty paper; once per session, the MC can impose -2 on a Charm check of yours due to this. This goes away when the season ends.
- Trader: You buy and sell goods for the clan; each season, roll +Charm. 10+: You gain 40 silver. 7-9: You gain 20 silver. This is on side trades.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook