HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Hearth Keeper - Initiate of Mahome
Mahome was the daughter of Veskarthen the Volcano God (known as Lodril in Peloria); she married into the Storm Tribe, marrying Barntar, son of Orlanth; many of her kin, like Gustbran, married into the Storm Tribe as well. She became Ernalda's chambermaid, the manager of Erlanda's home. As things spiralled down, she was the one who ensured the stead remained functional, and even when Ernalda laid down to die (Ernalda was only sleeping!), she kept things going through the Great Darkness. When Orlanth returned and Ernalda awoke, they had a home to live in thanks to Mahome.
Female Orlanthi who have Fire instead of Earth or Air as their Element often initiate to follow Mahome. The Hyalorings came to join the Orlanthi during the Storm Age and brought Fire gods with them, like Elmal, Mahome and Gustbran. Mahome's initiates are usually not adventurers, but to be Orlanthi is to face the unexpected and those who do join Herobands usually ensure all the kinds of logistical issues are tended to that leave most adventurers filthy and ill-fed.
Like Ernalda, Mahome reminds everyone that There Is Always Another Way. Mahome's followers command authority over Household affairs, but they rule usually by soft power and being the person who is always right, rather than by stomping around and shouting like Orlanth or Barntar do. But if they have to fight, they never forget that Everything Burns.
Mahome's Priestesses are all female; male Fire Rune folk usually initiate under Elmal or Gustbran.
Pick your Attributes
You have Charm +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
- Expel Intruders (Human): When you are in a camp, cave, or home (which does not belong to someone hostile to you) with a fireplace, hearth, or firepit, you can use this power on unwanted visitors. Choose an intruder. Roll +Magic: 10+: They are expelled from the location, ending up at Near range from it and taking 1d4 Fire damage. 7-9: They are dumped on their ass outside it. 6-: You fail and nothing happens.
- Keep Out The Dead (Duck): When you enter a home, you can ward it against the dead while you reside inside. Roll +Magic: 10+: Any undead creature entering the home suffers 1d8 Fire Harm automatically. 7-9: The ward does 1d4 damage. 6-: You fail and can't try again until the next morning. You can use this power on something like a cave or a camp as well as long as there is a hearth, fireplace, or firepit.
Pick Two From the List Below:
- Authority of Mahome: When you are dealing with people initiated to the Storm Tribe, you add +1 when using Smooth Talk on any issue related to household affairs.
- Eyes of the Hostess: When you enter a social situation, roll +Wits. On a 7-9 ask the MC one of the questions below, on a 10+ ask the MC 3 of the questions below:
- Who is formally the boss here?
- Who, if anyone, is actually in charge?
- What will cheer this group up?
- Who is the biggest threat to things going peacefully?
- What's the best way to handle this troublemaker?
- Fire Dancer: When you do the Fire Dance, roll +Magic. On a 7-9 hold 1, on a 10+ hold 3. As long as you have hold, you glow with a firey aura and can ignite flammables by touching them with an action (this means your punch does 2-Harm fire damage) While you continue the dance, you may spend your hold 1 for 1 to invoke the following (You may not choose the same effect twice in a row.):
- Set someone or something within Close Range on fire; they take 1d6 Harm Piercing-3 each round until they take an action to snuff themselves out
- Light a weapon on fire; it adds +1 Harm and does fire damage for the rest of the scene
- Give someone 3 Armor against Fire.
- Throw a firebolt (1d8 Harm Near),
- Fire Walker: You get +3 armor against Fire.
- Labors of Mahome: Mahome is versed in every domestic task from household management to churning butter. Whether for practical reasons or to show off, you can draw on her power to perform any domestic task in five minutes or less. Roll +Charm. 10+: You do the task flawlessly. You gain +1 Forward to uses of +Charm against those observing for the rest of the day. 7-9: You do an adequate job. +1 Forward to your next +Charm action against an observor. 6-: Everything goes wrong and you suffer disadvantage to +Charm actions against observors the rest of the day.
- Mistress of the Hearth: In any room which has a fireplace, or around a firepit in a camp, if tensions are high, you can roll +Charm: 10+: Tensions calm and the rest of the meal / feast / evening / ceremony / etc proceeds without trouble. 7-9: You calm tensions if you make a 1 Wealth sacrifice to Mahome. 6-: Tensions get worse and may erupt into violence if they were close enough to the edge.
- Queen of the Household: You get +1 Charm (Max +3).
- The Secret of Cooking: If you have access to fire, you can attempt to cook *anything* solid, normally edible or not. This takes about as much time as normal cooking. Roll +Magic: 10+: A triumph which is tasty. 7-9: Edible, if reminscent of eating a shoe. 6-: Disaster, it's ruined and you take one Harm from your testing of your food's edibility.
- Fire Mastery: Spend 1 hold to light a torch, lantern or fireplace or to snuff such a thing out; spend 3 hold to set something large (but not alive) ablaze. You can also spend 1 hold to do fire tricks like fire eating or juggling flames to impress people.
- Heal: Spend hold to heal 1d6 Harm from an injury to yourself or another character.
- Mahome's Wisdom: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 on any attempt to Smooth Talk
- Repair Household Object: Spend 1 hold to fix anything found in a household from silverware to fine china to a rent tapestry; substantial building damage takes 3 hold and may require multiple applications, like the whole roof being gone.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
As personal possessions, you may choose three of the following:
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Quarterstaff: (Hand Two-Handed 1-Protective)
- A Ladle and Cookpot with Mahome's Fire Rune On Them: Self-heating cookpot which lets you cook anywhere, assuming you have ingredients, even in a blizzard.
- Portable Hut: This folds up into a one foot across cube. Roll +Magic: 10+: It unfolds into a large hall with room for ten people, a fireplace, enough food for dinner and breakfast, and three spectral servants to meet your needs. 7-9: It unfolds into a small hall with room for five people and a fireplace. 6-: Mahome appears and lectures you for being lazy. You suffer -1 ongoing until you get 8 hours of sleep and you can't try this again until the next dawn.
- Fancy Clothing: +1 on +Charm checks in formal situations or with those impressed by wealth.
- Sturdy Travel Clothing: +1 on checks related to handling travelling and weather.
- A horse and tack
- Yerestsulva, your handmaiden who can entertain people (using your Charm) while you are doing serious work.
- Hantrakar, your Nandan assistant who is big and strong and can move heavy objects, carry a lot of things you need, and assist your work.
- Innkeeper: You control an inn or tavern. You are popular with the common folk who come there but you also gain access to the Ring, who granted you permission to create and/or run this facility. Further, each season, roll +Charm: 10+: You gain 2 of Leverage (only useable within your Clan) or 40 silver. 7-9: You gain 1 leverage or 20 silver. 6-: Your stead simply breaks even.
- Priestess of Mahome: You serve in the local temple of Ernalda. Once a season, you can pray at the Temple; roll +Magic. On a 10+, you gain two blessings which can be invoked once per season. On a 7-9, you gain one blessing:
- For one scene, you can do one-hold uses of Fire Mastery as often as you want.
- For one scene, all your allies gain 2 Armor against Fire.
- For one scene, Mahome blesses your spice rack; you gain +1 to Charm against anyone attending a feast or ceremony you are presiding over.
- Mahome leads you to a cache of food sufficient to feed one hundred people for a week.
- Steadmistress: While you are often called away by duties, you are the head of a bloodline and have your own Stead. You can use it to hold feasts and ceremonies where you gain +1 to any relevant rolls. Fire only hurts those you want it to hurt inside your stead and you have a small gang of fyrd who defend it.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook