HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Mostali Individualist (Dwarf)
The Entity known as Ernalda likes to delude herself and her followers into thinking she is the Embodiment of the Earth Rune, but its true Embodiment is Mostal the Maker, who forged the World Machine from Chaos. Without him, there would be no Glorantha. He created the Mineral Rune, then melded it with the Man Rune in order to make us, the Mostali, who are both Man and Mineral at once. For countless ages, we maintained the World Machine so that Glorantha would function. Unfortunately, irresponsible people wrecked everything, letting Chaos into the world. Mostal perished in the fall of the Spike, the great Axis Mundi, atop which the Celestial Court dwelled. With its fall, the sun plummeted out of the sky and the Great Darkness began. The eldest Mostali tried to lead in Mostal's stead, but they were overwhelmed and came to forget we are *Men* as well as Mineral, and tried to turn us all into obedient golems, slaves of the elder Mostali. We live forever, unless slain, and so we spent countless years as slaves. But with time, exposure to other creatures of the Man Rune enabled some of us, the Individualists, who they call 'heretics' as if we were slaves of a god like the Orlanthi and the Pelorians, to realize we were *people* and didn't have to all be the same if we were made of the same material. There are more Clay Dwarves than any other kind, yet we are treated as disposible cogs.
You are not a cog. You are not part of the World Machine. It is dead and gone and all the children of the Man Rune will have to either make a new one or watch the world founder in Chaos when the Hero Wars begin.
No God, No Spirit, No Sorceror is your master. You are a free Mostali, a 'Dwarf' as some call you and you will make your own path and chart your own damn destiny. And anyone who doesn't like it, they can go suck a type 11 rotator screw.
No wait, that's not how the saying goes.
You can be male or female; in Mostali society, there's no clear and obvious differences between the two. You may have chosen to copy the style of your gender in one of the other societies or you may well remain ambiguous.
Take this playbook if you want to dig into an alien mindset and be a rebel against a machine society, fighting to define yourself on your own terms.
Pick your Attributes
You have Wits +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
You start with all the Basic Moves and Pick Three off the list below:
- Battle Experienced: Pick two cultures when you get this. When you use Read the Situation on people from those cultures, add one extra result on a roll of 7 or higher.
- Dwarven Battle Procedures: When you go into battle, roll +Wits. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the battle (during your turn, but without taking your action), you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- You escape from all foes within hand-to-hand range, moving to close range from them, as you drop a smoke grenade to cover your escape.
- Choose a foe within Close Range; his weapon and shield immediately break if mundane, suffer -1 effectiveness until repaired otherwise.
- When you suffer Harm, you can trigger this to gain Advantage on your next roll from the adrenaline rush.
- When something would force you to move from your current position, it fails.
- When you suffer Harm, you spit flaming oil onto the target, who takes 1d4 points of armor-ignoring Harm immediately and again at the start of your next turn.
- Individualist: When you are using Smooth Talk to defend your choices and philosophy, roll +Wits.
- I Know The Weaknesses of Metal: When you Smite Foe, you can declare you are delivering a Breaking Strike. On a 10+, your foe's weapon shatters in addition to the other effects of the attack. On a 6 or less, you are staggered by the vibrations of your failed attack until the end of your next turn.
- Lightning Evocation Spell #3: As an action, roll +Magic. On a 10+, you inflict 1d8 lightning Harm on a foe within Far range. On a 7-9, you inflict 1d6 lightning Harm on a foe within far range. On a 6 or less, you electrocute yourself for 1d4 lightning Harm. (This is Western Style Sorcery you have picked up.)
- Pepper Grenade: Choose a target at close or far range; if you use it on someone in hand-to-hand, you also hit yourself if you roll a 9 or less. Roll +Wits. On 10+, your target takes 1d6 Harm that bypasses armor and is staggered until the end of your next turn. On 7-9, you inflict either the damage or a stagger. On a miss, you accidentally crush it in your own hand and you are staggered until the end of your next turn.
- Treat Weapon: You know the weaknesses of many kinds of creatures. You apply an alchemical concoction to your weapon or an ally's weapon if the ally is in hand-to-hand range or closer. Roll +Wits. 10+, the weapon ignores armor against one kind of creature with natural armor or one kind of armor for the rest of the scene. 7-9: As 10 but it only lasts until the end of your next turn. 6+: You damage the weapon if it is mundane; it does -1 Harm for the rest of the battle.
- Well-Crafted Brain: You get +1 Wits (Max + 3).
- Magic Shield: The caster may spend hold to gain Advantage on a Resist Magic check.
- Repair: The caster may spend hold to fix a broken item up to the size of a wagon, from 1 for something hand portable to 3 for something wagon-sized.
- Repair Flesh: Spend hold to heal 1d4 Harm or remove a Stagger condition.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
- Trade Talk: Spend hold to communicate with any creature able to understand speech; this includes sign languages for the deaf or hearing impaired.
Armor (Pick One):
- Copper Breastplate: (1-Armor) (Upgrades to Copper Cuirass, 2-Armor, 1-Clumsy)
- Small Bronze Shield: (1-Protective) (Upgrades to Bronze Shield, 2-Protective, 1-Clumsy)
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Amulet of the Metal Rune: (Ranged-Close 1-Piercing, +1 bonus to invoke Basic Magic)
- Two-Handed Axe: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- Repeating Crossbow: (1-Harm Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed 1-Piercing)
Dwarf Items (pick two):
- Battleaxe : (1-Harm Hand)
- Combat Knife: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Crossbow: (Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed 1-Piercing Reload)
- Small Bronze Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective)
- Wrench: (Hand) You gain +1 Hold if you use Basic Magic to cast Repair.
- Upgrade your armor or take a second form of it
- Pony and tack
- Bronze War Helmet: You can see 10 times as far clearly with this on as it has special lenses. You also get +2 to Resist Magic against Blinding attacks
- Mechanical Nightingale: +1 to Carouse checks
- Fire Rune Powered Oven: A self-heating oven; once a session, you can bake something special in it and use it as leverage.
- 100' Collapsable Ladder: Grows up to 100' long or shrinks down to fit in your pocket. Made of iron, it is powered by the Earth Rune.
- Abandoned Dwarven Outpost: You have moved into and refurbished an abandoned Dwarven scouting post within the tula. Within it, you have Advantage on all +Wits checks and +1 Armor. You can make a +Wits roll to try to observe any point in the Tula: 10+: Perfect surveillance with all five senses. 7-9: You can see or hear but not both and forget about anything else. 6+: Equipment malfunction; you can't use the surveillance gear again until the next Season.
- Craft Shop: You have a shop where you make and fix things, with human apprentices who assist you. Roll once per season. On a 10+, you generate 40 silver. On a 7-9, you generate 20 silver. On a 6 or less, you break even.
- Guest of the Temple of Gustbran: You bow to no God, but you will make deals with temples; you help them run their holy forges whenever you're at the Stead. In return, each season, roll +Wits. On a 10+, choose two device. On a 7-9, you get one device:
- Dwarf Food: A cannister of highly concentrated food which resembles peanut butter. A small amount sustains life for a day. You can easily carry enough food for an entire season in this way.
- Mostali Folding Hut: This 2 inch cube unfolds into a metal building twenty feet across in all directions with a lockable door and fireplace. If there's space for it.
- Reinforced Shield: (1-Harm Intimate/Hand? 2-Protective)
- Cup of Purging:: Usable once a day. When you administer this to someone, including yourself, roll +Wits. 10+: They are cured of all disease and poison; this also sobers people up. 7-9: As 10, but they also suffer 1d4 Harm due to chemical side-effects. 6 or less: The target is staggered until they sleep.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook