HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Mostali Iron Caste Renegade (Dwarf)
When Mostal first made the Dwarves, he made them of metals, gold and silver and tin and so on. When Chaos came, he made the Iron Dwarves to serve as an army, and the Clay Dwarves as an emergency measure to substitute for any injured metal dwarves. Then he died when the Spike was destroyed and most of the higher castes of Dwarves were destroyed. Now Clay and Iron Dwarves mostly have to try and do the work of the other castes and Iron Dwarves were mainly made to protect and to kill. But no other caste but Iron and Clay can be made now and one by one, the Elder Dwarves perish.
You have served as a soldier for centuries. Much of it is a blur, for you long lived more as a machine than a man. You remember bits and pieces. You think you faced Arkat once and lost. Not him personally... there would be nothing left of you... but you think his armies stormed some city you defended and you escaped the fall of the city. You distinctly remember helping to load a cannon in an emergency, filling it with scraps of metal, then carving open Dragonnewts and crazed Dragon-worshipping humans with it during the Second Age. You remember the Clanking City and you definitely remember fighting a strange metal automaton there. You remember fighting Carmanians over... something... those horses of theirs scare easily and you do not.
And you remember a machine, a machine that erased most of your memories, so past traumas did not gradually overwhelm you; you accepted that at the time. Then something went wrong. For all the bad memories, you suddenly realized you didn't want to give up the good memories too. Maybe those humans you talked to during your last job, when you got hired out to help them, somehow contaminated you.
So you ran away and now you are trying to find your place in this world. But you have all your memories since your last erasure and a few precious memories that never went away... and some bad ones. But you have learned that's how life is.
You know other Mostali want to repair the World Machine but you weren't made for that. You were made to fight. But now you will choose your own fights and find your own cause. Once you figure out what a good cause is.
You can be male or female; in Mostali society, there's no clear and obvious differences between the two. You may have chosen to copy the style of your gender in one of the other societies or you may well remain ambiguous.
Take this playbook if you want to dig into an alien mindset and be an eternal warrior now in search of a purpose.
Pick your Attributes
You have Might +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d8.
Pick Three off the list below:
- Eternal Warrior: When you go into battle, roll +Might. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the battle (during your turn, but without taking your action), you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- You know a weakness of his kind of person or him personally from your long experience; gain Advantage on a single attack roll against him.
- When a foe closes to Hand or Intimate range with you, inflict Harm on them.
- When you suffer Harm, reduce it to 0.
- Deflect an incoming ranged attack with an arm or shield parry into a foe who is within Hand or Intimate range of you.
- When you inflict Harm, you also stagger the target.
- I Know The Weaknesses of Metal: When you Smite Foe, you can declare you are delivering a Breaking Strike. On a 10+, your foe's weapon shatters in addition to the other effects of the attack. On a 6 or less, you are staggered by the vibrations of your failed attack until the end of your next turn.
- Iron Dwarf: Being made of Magic-Resistant metal means you get Advantage to Resist Magic:
- Iron Fists: You get +1 Might (Max + 3).
- Patchy Memory of War: When you are using Spout Lore about something connected to war, fighting, weapons, defenses, or military affairs, roll +Might.
- Pepper Grenade: Choose a target at close or far range; if you use it on someone in hand-to-hand, you also hit yourself if you roll a 9 or less. Roll +Wits. On 10+, your target takes 1d6 Harm that bypasses armor and is staggered until the end of your next turn. On 7-9, you inflict either the damage or a stagger. On a miss, you accidentally crush it in your own hand and you are staggered until the end of your next turn.
- Recall Weapon: If you make a ranged attack, your ammo returns to you after inflicting damage.
- Shatter Spell: You can strike on-going spells with your iron weaponry or your iron body and try to destroy them. Roll +Magic. 10+: The effect is dispelled. 7-9: The effect is dispelled, but you are staggered until the end of your next turn by a magical backlash. 6+: You fail to dispel the effect and the blowback leaves you staggered until the end of your next turn.
- Dispel: Spend 1 hold to dispel any active spell, or cancel a spell while it is being cast.
- Message: The caster may spend hold to send a message of up to 21 words up to 10 miles.
- Repair Flesh: Spend hold to heal 1d4 Harm or remove a Stagger condition.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
- Trade Talk: Spend hold to communicate with any creature able to understand speech; this includes sign languages for the deaf or hearing impaired.
You have one point of armor because you are *made of metal*. Pick one serious weapon and three Dwarf Gear.
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Broadsword: (1-Harm Hand Cleave)
- Bronze Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 2-Protective)
- Mace and Chain : (Hand/Close? Bruiser)
- Two-Handed Axe: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- Two-Handed Sword: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- War Mace : (1-Harm Hand Two-Handed Bruiser)
Secondary weapons (pick two):
- Battleaxe : (1-Harm Hand)
- Brace of Daggers : (Intimate/Hand? Thrown-Close). You can Conceal a single dagger on yourself but not the whole brace.
- Brace of Javelins : (Thrown-Close 1-Piercing)
- Crossbow: (Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed 1-Piercing Reload)
- Hand Axe: (Hand Throw-Close)
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Longsword : (Hand)
- Mace : (Hand Bruiser)
- Small Bronze Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective)
- Upgrade your Armor to two points, but you now suffer 1-Clumsy
- Pony and tack
- Bronze War Helmet: You can see 10 times as far clearly with this on as it has special lenses. You also get +2 to Resist Magic against Blinding attacks
- Cold and Rain-Resistant Tarp: Keeps you and up to 3 allies warm and dry
- 100' Collapsable Ladder: Grows up to 100' long or shrinks down to fit in your pocket. Made of iron, it is powered by the Earth Rune.
- Abandoned Dwarven Outpost: You have moved into and refurbished an abandoned Dwarven scouting post within the tula. Within it, you have Advantage on all +Wits checks and +1 Armor. You can make a +Wits roll to try to observe any point in the Tula: 10+: Perfect surveillance with all five senses. 7-9: You can see or hear but not both and forget about anything else. 6+: Equipment malfunction; you can't use the surveillance gear again until the next Season.
- Guest of the Temple of Gustbran: You bow to no God, but you will make deals with temples; you help them run their holy forges whenever you're at the Stead. In return, each season, roll +Wits. On a 10+, choose two device. On a 7-9, you get one device:
- Dwarf Food: A cannister of highly concentrated food which resembles peanut butter. A small amount sustains life for a day. You can easily carry enough food for an entire season in this way.
- Mostali Folding Hut: This 2 inch cube unfolds into a metal building twenty feet across in all directions with a lockable door and fireplace. If there's space for it.
- Reinforced Shield: (1-Harm Intimate/Hand? 2-Protective)
- Cup of Purging:: Usable once a day. When you administer this to someone, including yourself, roll +Wits. 10+: They are cured of all disease and poison; this also sobers people up. 7-9: As 10, but they also suffer 1d4 Harm due to chemical side-effects. 6 or less: The target is staggered until they sleep.
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of a chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your adventuresome ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of your clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (40 silver).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Orlanth (40 silver).
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook