HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Rain Dancer - Initiate of Heler
You follow Heler, child of Srmasta (the everchanging primal waters) and Daliath (guardian of the well of wisdom). He was the great enemy of Daga, the God of Drought, a member of the Fire Tribe. Their powers neutralized each other when he joined the invasion of the Sky with Lorion. He fought Orlanth thrice: the the Trembling Shore, the Thrinbarri Battles and the Willow Tree Battle.
But when he quarreled with the Dragon Arioka, it ate him and Daga ran wild, wrecking havoc. Orlanth came and he defeated Arioka, freeing Heler, who swore fealty to Orlanth at Storm Mountain in Maniria. Heler then gathered his army of clouds and crushed Daga, forcing him to hide. Yet Daga never stays dead forever, for he is a God. They battle still. He built a long house named Gapadero, on the banks of the Engizi River in the Storm Realm. He was the master of Orlanth's sheep and gave the famouse Sheep of Luck to Barntar as a wedding gift. He and Voriof are close friends.
During the Great Darkness, he and Voriof were the last defenders of Orlanth's Stead, for the rain came even when Chaos had destroyed light and hope. Orlanthi sheep are also clouds and thus his water could sustain a few of them even without grass (for Ernalda and the Earth goddesses were dead).
Heler is a little strange and mystical, able to take on both male and female forms and his followers are often those who don't quite fit in with Orlanthi gender expectations. Water is mutable and shifts form to meet the circumstances and so Heler's followers are flexible; There is always another way but they take that even further than Ernalda, sometimes into strange or mystical solutions, often violating the gender distinctions other Orlanthi make, for Heler teaches that There are no perfect opposites which endure forever; anything can change. Some of his followers turn blue, like him or get blue hair.
Heler's followers can be anything at all, sometimes literally.
Take this playbook if you want to aid your clan in unusual ways and operate outside many of the normal rules, though you have a code of conduct of your own.
Pick your Attributes
You have Wits +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
You start with all the Basic Moves and Pick Three off the list below:
- Blood is Water: When you Smite Foe, you can declare you are mastering your foe's blood. On a 10+, you stagger them in addition to any other damage. On a 6 or less, you interfere with your own blood flow and are staggered.
- Born to the Waves: You can swim as fast as you run and you can breathe water.
- Dance of the Falling Droplets: When you use the Dance of Falling Droplets to impress others with your beauty and grace, roll +Wits to Smooth Talk instead of Charm.
- Flow Like Water: You are as hard to confine as water, which finds even a tiny hole and flows through it. When you are imprisoned, grappled, shackled, tied up, and the like, roll +Wits: On a 10+, you escape your bonds, possibly even flowing under the door or through the lock itself to do so. On a 7-9, you escape, but you suffer 1 harm or have to leave your possessions behind due to things going a little wrong with your magic. On a miss, you freeze yourself and can't escape for the rest of the scene.
- Hail Storm: Roll + Magic. On 10+, inflict 1d6 Harm and stagger on every foe in hand to hand range with you. On 7-9, inflict just one of those results. On a miss you may not use this move again today.
- Melt and Reform: You flow like water into another form; roll +Wits: 10+: You can turn into any human you know or a human form of your own design. 7-9: You change your appearance but can't impersonate anyone. 6-: For the rest of the scene, you look messed up and suffer disadvantage on +Charm checks; you look like yourself... after a year or two in a Lunar Hell.
- Rain Dancer: When you Defy Danger in rain or water, you can roll +Wits instead.
- Seen the Hidden Wisdom of Water: You get +1 Wits (Max +3).
- Fish Form: Spend 1 hold to turn into a fish for the rest of the day, 3 hold to turn into some other water creature.
- Flow Like Water: Spend hold to add your Wits to your Armor against a single attack as you flow out of the way of the weapon.
- Mobility: The caster may spend hold to gain +1 on any move requiring speed or maneuverability such as a race, chase or escaping a threat.
- The Water is Listening: Spend hold to cause water to bring any conversation held within hearing distance of the water within Far range to their ears. You can also use a mug of drink to listen to any other conversation near a drink in a hold, tavern, and the like.
- Water Walking: Spend 1 hold to enable yourself or an ally to walk on water for the rest of the scene
Armor (Pick One):
- Leather Lamellar Cuirass: (1-Armor) (Upgrades to Bronze Breastplate, 2-Armor, 1-Clumsy)
- Protective Tattoos: (1-Armor) (Upgrades to Full Body Tattoos, 2-Armor, 1-Clumsy)
- Wooden Shield: (1-Protective) (Upgrades to Bronze Shield, 2-Protective, 1-Clumsy)
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Broadsword: (1-Harm Hand Cleave)
- Fighting Net: (1-Harm Hand Grapple)
- Longspear: (1-Harm Hand/Close? 2-Handed)
- War Mace : (1-Harm Hand Two-Handed Bruiser)
Helerite Items (pick three):
- Brace of Javelins : (Thrown-Close 1-Piercing)
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Longsword : (1-Harm Hand)
- Mace : (Hand Bruiser)
- Short Spear: (Hand 1-Piercing)
- Trident: (Hand Trap)
- Upgrade your Armor one step or get a second form of armor. Keep in mind that Armor and Protective stack but neither stacks with itself.
- Fishing Nets: +1 on Hunting checks which use +Wits.
- Fancy Clothing: +1 on +Charm checks in formal situations or with those impressed by wealth.
- A horse and tack
- Necklace with the Water Rune carved into a gem: +1 with Basic Magic
- Fishing Rod with the Water Rune: +1 on Hunting checks which use +Grace.
- Coral Statuette of Magasta: +1 on +Charm checks with Ducks, Water Creatures, and those who live on the bounty of water. You can breathe and speak under water.
- One of Heler's Sheep: These sheep fly and look like clouds when doing so; your pet flies around when you're not riding him and comes when you call. He can carry up to a small warband... slowly. He flies but he only moves about ten miles an hour. Admittedly, that's still faster than a human can sustain that long.
- Fishing Boat: You have a fishing boat big enough for six people. It's suitable for transport and for, well, fishing. You get +1 Forward on +Charm checks with anyone who lives along the river and with Ducks; you also gain +1 Forward to Magic checks when within sight of it. You collect a surplus of 20 silver worth of fish with it each season. (The rest feed your crew)
- Landholder: You have a homestead, fields and maybe some cattle or sheep making you a respected community member. They are worked by a relative or thrall. Each season, roll +Wits. On a 10+, you have 2 wealth surplus. On a 7-9, you have 1 wealth. Choose 1 season you get +2 during and one you get -2 during and explain why.
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of a chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your adventuresome ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of your clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (40 silver).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Heler to bring rain to the fields. (40 silver).
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook