HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Storm Bull - Initiate of Urox
In the Golden Age, Urox, kin to Orlanth, dwelt in Genert's Garden, when he was known as Bull and he wed Eiritha, daughter of Ernalda. But then night fell upon the land and Chaos came in the darkness, destroying everything he loved and maiming his dear Eiritha and forcing her to hide in the Paps to survive. Then his rage exploded and as Genert's Garden became the Wasteland, he became Storm Bull and his wrath could not be denied. He it was who slew Raglagnar the Mad, one of the Unholy Trio. He it was who slew Vrak Kargh Vozh, leader of the Chaos armies in the Wasteland, goring out his intestines and turning his bones into a mountain range. He it was who ripped open the great valley of the Zola Fel and hurled Zorak Zoran into it. He it was who battle Wakboth to a standstill, keeping him in place until the Block fell on him. When he then died of his wounds, he fought Wakboth again in the Underworld, and there Arachne Solar trapped Wakboth in her webs and Urox slew him again, sending him to be trapped in the deepest, darkest hell. And he it is who lives in the Eternal Battle, always ready to fight Chaos.
As a Storm Bull, you are always ready to fight Chaos and possibly just to *fight*. Storm Bulls tend to be rough, tough, and ill mannered, though don't have to be rude or crude. You just have to have a burning drive within you that leads you to fight Chaos with all your strength. Urox teaches you the secrets of the Eternal Battle, his rune and his home, the perfect weapon against Chaos.
Of course, there's not always Chaos to fight and so you get into other adventures as well. Or trouble.
Unlike most Dragon Pass cults, worship of Storm Bull is common in Prax. You are welcome there in ways most Orlanthi are not.
Storm Bull happily takes any man or woman who is angry enough to initiate to him.
Take this playbook if you want to FIGHT CHAOS, be welcome in both Prax and Orlanthi lands, and be crude, strange, and prone to fly off the handle.
Pick your Attributes
You have Might +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d8.
You start with all the Basic Moves and Sense Chaos
Sense Chaos: When you Read a Situation, you can ask:
- Is anyone or anything here Chaos-tainted?
- How tough is the Chaos?
- What weaknesses does the Chaos have?
You can apply these to a specific person with Read a Person.
Pick Two off the list below:
- Big Muscles: You get +1 Might (Max +3).
- Berserker Rage: So long as you still have hold left from Wrath of the Storm Bull, you cannot be staggered.
- Charm: The Storm Bull Spirit Society has been kind enough to give you a spirit Charm. When you invoke it, roll +Charm. 10+: You get 3 hold to use on that Charm. 7-9: You get one hold to use on the Charm. 6 or less: The spirit goes into a snit and won't do anything for you for the rest of the game day. Choose one of the following; you can buy this several times:
- Chaos Smiter: He requires that you must slay all chaos you encounter, never running away from it. If you do that, you can spend hold from invoking him. One hold adds +1d4 Harm to a blow struck to a Chaos creature. Three hold inflicts 1d8 Harm 2-Piercing on all Chaos creatures within Intimate or Hand range.
- Sand Cloud: He requires that you lay him out in the sun for an hour a day. If you do that, you can spend hold from invoking him. One hold creates a brief howling sandstorm which engulfs everyone in hand-to-hand of you, inflicting 1d6 Harm 2-Piercing on all foes and leaving them with grit in their clothing. Three hold covers a large area; it does no damage, but blocks visibility to everyone but you and lasts for up to an hour.
- Thirst Friend: He requires that you drink no heated liquids. If you do that, you can spend hold from invoking him. One hold sustains you without needing to drink for a day. Three hold sustains up to a small gang without need for water.
- Howling Desert Wind: When you Smite Foe, you can declare you are invoking Urox's Wind; roll +Magic before you roll to hit. On a 10+, your blow knocks the foe to close range, staggers them, and they fall prone. On a 7-9, pick one. On a 6 or less, not only does your foe get to make the usual move on you, you fall prone and will need to spend an action getting up.
- Naked Howling Maniac: Add +1 to your Armor, +2 against Chaos; this stacks with your tattoos but not other armor.
- Scary: When you use Intimidate, add one extra hold on a roll of 7 or higher.
- Smite Chaos: You inflict +1d4 Harm against any Chaos creature, even if you don't realize it's Chaotic (somehow).
- Wrath of the Storm Bull: When you go into battle, roll +Might. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the battle (during your turn, but without taking your action), you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- You harm, stagger, or disarm an NPC within reach.
- Make an immediate Intimidate on a foe within sight.
- Immediately charge over and engage a foe without drawing any attacks in the process.
- Fight on for another round when you should be unconscious.
- Give your next Smite Foe the Area Quality.
- Bull Rush: Spend 1 hold to charge two range increments safely. Spend 3 hold to do so and make an attack.
- Feat of Strength: The caster may spend hold to gain +1 on any move based on raw strength.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
- Smash Object: Spend 1 hold to break one object that isn't bigger than you. Spend 3 hold to bash a hole in a stone wall.
- Smite Chaos: Spend hold to gain +2 to any action against a Chaotic creature.
You have tattoos which give you one point of Armor.
Pick one serious weapon and three Storm Bull items.
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Broadsword: (1-Harm Hand Cleave)
- Longspear: (1-Harm Hand/Close? 2-Handed)
- Two-Handed Axe: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- Two-Handed Sword: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- War Mace : (1-Harm Hand Two-Handed Bruiser)
Storm Bull Items (pick three):
- Battleaxe : (1-Harm Hand)
- Brace of Javelins : (Thrown-Close 1-Piercing)
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Longsword : (1-Harm Hand)
- Mace : (Hand Bruiser)
- Short Spear: (Hand 1-Piercing)
- A Necklace of the Severed Heads of Your Foes, Shrunken: +1 on Intimidate checks.
- A horse and tack
- Necklace with the Eternal Battle Rune carved into a gem: +1 with Basic Magic
- Hunting Poisons: +1 on Hunting checks which use +Grace.
- Hunting Traps: +1 on Hunting checks which use +Wits.
- A Small Chip of Stone From the Block: +1 on Resist Magic checks.
- Four man canoe and fishing gear.
Like a Humakti, you are severed from the bonds of Kinship and no longer automatically part of any clan, though most swear to a temple or a clan after initiation.
- Wandering Uroxi: Guided by the Storm Bull, you wander from stead to stead, exploiting hospitality rules, Geo's Inns, and rewards for slaying Chaos beasts and other monsters. You keep afloat this way, though you'll never be *rich*. But if you wanted wealth, you would have sworn to Issaries, not Storm Bull. When you use Sense Chaos, you get one extra hold, no matter what you roll.
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of a chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your adventuresome ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of your clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (40 silver).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Urox (40 silver).
- Renegade: You have a hideout in the wilds stocked with a few days of supplies. When in or near your hideout, get +1 on hunting or being hunted, and when in it get +1 armor and +1 ongoing due to prepared defences and traps.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook