HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Long ago, we lived in Wonderhome. Then Yelm the Evil invaded and set Wonderhome on fire and we Uz had to flee to the surface, where there was a lot less to eat, which didn't stop us eating everything we could. The pain caused by Yelm the Evil caused Kygor Litor (the embodiment of the Darkness Rune, the Mother of All Uz) to give birth to Zorak Zoran, who set out to eat everything that could hurt her and other Uz. During the Great Darkness, Zorak Zoran struck his mightiest blow, attacking the hideous solar monster Yelmalio at the Hill of Gold and eating his fire, so he could no longer rule in the place of Yelm, who had the decency to stay dead for his crimes against the Uz. Until that idiot Orlanth decided to bring the Sun back, because Orlanth is stupid and doesn't obey his mother OR his wife, Ernalda, who should have served him for dinner by now.
You're just saying.
You were raised to protect the Uz through your wrath, which burns inside you, fed by the fire which Zorak Zoran took from Yelmalio. Always remember that Enemies Exist to Be Eaten. But also, you must Obey Troll Priestesses, though you sometimes freak out and only kind of obey them. Look, those elves needed to be eaten, however useful they might have been for a while!
Zorak Zoran's followers have a rivalry with Karrg's followers, who are a bunch of cautious pansies who have no right to call themselves true Uz when they skulk about instead of confronting and eating their enemies.
Most Uz Berserkers are men, though a few women feel the burning hunger of Zorak Zoran inside them. Their mothers despair, but Zorak Zoran accepts anyone who knows that Enemies Exist to Be Eaten.
Take this playbook if you want to dig into an alien mindset and be crude, strange, and prone to fly off the handle.
Pick your Attributes
You have Might +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d8.
You start with all the Basic Moves and Pick Three off the list below:
- Big Muscles: You get +1 Might (Max +3).
- Burn Foe: Roll +Magic. On 10+, you inflict 1d8 Harm on a foe within your reach; they take 1d4 Harm at the start of your next turn. On 7-9, you inflict 1d6 Harm on a foe within your reach and 1d4 Harm at the start of your next turn. On a miss, you burn yourself for 1d4 Harm.
- Burning Rage: So long as you still have hold left from Wrath of Zorak Zoran, add the remaining hold to any checks to Resist Magic.
- Eat Foe: When you take an action to eat a fallen foe, roll +Magic. 10+, you heal 1d4 Harm and gain +1 forward. 7-9: Choose one of those two results. 6+: You get indigestion and a -1 forward.
- Strike Hard: When you Fight in Close Combat, you can declare you are putting extra strength into your blows. On a 10+, your blow either pushes your foe to near range and knocks them prone or tosses them over to become engaged with one of your allies. On a 6 or less, not only does your foe get to make the usual move on you, you fall prone and will need to spend an action getting up.
- Scary: When you use Intimidate on someone who has seen you eat someone, add one extra result on a roll of 7 or higher.
- Tougher in Darkness: When you Defy Danger at night or in darkness, you can roll +Might instead.
- Wrath of Zorak Zoran: When you go into battle, roll +Might. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the battle (during your turn, but without taking your action), you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- You harm, stagger, or disarm an NPC within reach.
- Make an immediate Intimidate on a foe within sight, gaining +2 if you have used Eat Foe during the battle.
- Immediately charge over and engage a foe without drawing any attacks in the process.
- Use Eat Foe, if you have it, without having to use an action.
- Bite every foe within reach, inflicting 1d6 harm.
- Bash: Spend 1 Hold to add +1 Harm or Staggered to an attack.
- Eat Anything: Spend hold to eat anything that you can fit in your mouth that isn't magically indestructible. You are limited by stomach size, though you have a big one. If used on a living creature, you inflict 2 harm.
- Feat of Strength: The caster may spend hold to gain +1 on any move based on raw strength.
- Smash Object: Spend 1 hold to break one object that isn't bigger than you.
- Smite Chaos: Spend hold to gain +2 to any action against a Chaotic creature.
Your skin is tough, giving you one point of armor. You have a pair of sunglasses which let you operate in daytime without losing your sight. Pick one serious weapon and three Troll Gear.
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Longspear: (1-Harm Hand/Close? 2-Handed)
- Two-Handed Axe: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- Stone Warclub : (1-Harm Hand Bruiser)
- War Mace : (1-Harm Hand Two-Handed Bruiser)
Troll Gear (pick three):
- Battleaxe : (1-Harm Hand)
- Brace of Javelins : (Thrown-Close 1-Piercing)
- Mace : (Hand Bruiser)
- Quarterstaff: (Hand Two-Handed 1-Protective)
- Short Spear: (Hand 1-Piercing)
- Wooden Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective)
- Your skin is so tough it provides 2 points of armor
- Helm of Protection From Fire: 4 points of non-stacking armor against Fire.
- Bag of Edible Rocks: These rocks have been carefully treated so even weak Trollkin teeth can eat them. If you need FOOD, roll +Magic: 10+: You are fed for the day on yummy rocks; you gain +1 on your next rolled action. 7-9: They keep you alive but taste lousy. 6-: Ugh, they went down wrong and you feel terrible. -1 ongoing the rest of the day but you don't need other food.
- Bracers You Took off a Dead Yelmalion: You gain +1 to +Charm checks with anyone who hates Yelmalio (virtually all Trolls, some other people). -1 to +Charm with Yelmalions but they're for eating, anyway.
- Healer's Bag: These edible herbs can be used once a session to heal up to 1d8 Harm or remove a disease or other ongoing condition.
- Lover of a Maran Gor Initiate: Many Orlanthi stare at you two in horror and fear. That is what you both want. Together, you act as temple guardians, possibly a Maran Gor temple, but probably one of Ernalda or her daughters / hangers-on. They're women but they're kind of strange women. In return for your service, each season, roll +Charm. On a 10+, they give you two clods of earth which allow you once to use the Move Wrath of Maran Gor, found below. On a 7-9, you get one clod.
- Wrath of Maran Gor: Roll +Magic. 10+: All foes engaged with you take 2d6 Harm and are staggered until the end of your next turn. 7-9: Inflict harm or stagger, but not both. On a miss, you trap yourself in a crack in the earth until the end of your next turn, suffering disadvantage to rolls.
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of an Orlanthi chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your strange troll ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of that clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (40 silver).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Orlanth (40 silver).
- Renegade: You have a hideout in the wilds stocked with a few days of supplies. When in or near your hideout, get +1 on hunting or being hunted, and when in it get +1 armor and +1 ongoing due to prepared defences and traps.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook