HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
Long ago, we lived in Wonderhome. Then Yelm the Evil invaded and set Wonderhome on fire and we Uz had to flee to the surface, where there was a lot less to eat, which didn't stop us eating everything we could. During the Great Darkness, no one battled and ate Chaos as much as we did. One of our gods, The Great And Only Old One, Ezkankekko, organized the army which won the I Fought, We Won battle and liberated Dragon Pass while Orlanth was off finding more women to fuck as usual. Why Ernalda hasn't killed and eaten him by now, you will never understand. Orlanth claims he was off raising the sun but that's just another reason for her to eat him. Stupid sun. You are initiated to Karrg, who led the armies of Kygor Litor (the Greater Goddess of Darkness), while Zorak Zoran was off just killing and eating everything, which has its place, but a dog can do that.
You're just saying.
You were raised to obey the women who rule the Uz as Karrg perfectly obeys Kygor Litor. And they told you to go pal around with humans and other creatures what talk and send them the information you find out. So here you are, since Karrg teaches, Always Obey Troll Priestesses. But secretly, he also taught you, Obey the Spirit of Orders, Not the Literal Words, so you send the important stuff, but you can keep a secret of a friend. Weird as your new friends are. *They can't eat rocks*. I mean, rocks taste lousy, but even trollkin can eat rocks and they're freaks of nature due to a curse.
Zorak Zoran's followers have a rivalry with Karrg's followers, because Zorak Zoran is a drooling idiot who thinks all problems are solved by eating the problem. However, those idiots can be useful sometimes.
Most Uz Warriors are men, though a few women take up the club and go smack some people for the glory of the UZ. Their mothers despair, but Kaarg eagerly accepts them despite orders to not do it, because you have to Obey the Spirit of Orders, Not the Literal Words.
Take this playbook if you want to dig into an alien mindset and be brave, sensible (by troll standards), but also kind of crude and strange.
Pick your Attributes
You have Might +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d6.
You start with all the Basic Moves and Pick Three off the list below:
- Big Muscles: You get +1 Might (Max +3).
- Cunning of Karrg: when you go into battle, roll +Might. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but take -1 forward. During the battle (during your turn, but without taking your action), you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- You harm, stagger, or disarm an NPC within reach.
- Make an immediate Intimidate on a foe within sight, gaining +2 if you have used Eat Foe during the battle.
- Make an immediate Resist Magic against an ongoing effect.
- Follow a foe who tried to disengage from you.
- Avoid all harm to yourself from an incoming attack.
- Darkness: Roll + Magic. On 10+, you are shrouded in darkness until the end of your next turn; you gain +2 to any Defy Danger checks which would be aided by people not seeing you. On 7-9, as 10+ but your darkvision is on the fritz and you suffer -1 to any actions other than Defy Danger while in the darkness if *you* would need to see. On a miss, you suffer -1 to all actions until the end of your next turn as you blunder around in the darkness.
- Eat Foe: When you take an action to eat a fallen foe, roll +Magic. 10+, you heal 1d6 Harm and gain +1 forward. 7-9: Choose one of those two results. 6+: You get indigestion and a -1 forward.
- Returning Weapon: You can throw a weapon which normally isn't ranged and it comes back to you; you can throw it up to near range.
- Strike Hard: When you Fight in Close Combat, you can declare you are putting extra strength into your blows. On a 10+, your blow either pushes your foe to near range and knocks them prone or tosses them over to become engaged with one of your allies. On a 6 or less, not only does your foe get to make the usual move on you, you fall prone and will need to spend an action getting up.
- Tales of Things I Ate: When you brag about cool and unusual things you have eaten, roll +Might for Smooth Talk instead of Charm.
- Tougher in Darkness: When you Defy Danger at night or in darkness, you can roll +Might instead.
- Tough Skin: Your skin grants 2 Armor.
- Discipline: The caster may spend 1 hold to negate a disarm or staggered effect against themself or an ally within Close Range.
- Eat Anything: Spend hold to eat anything that you can fit in your mouth that isn't magically indestructible. You are limited by stomach size, though you have a big one. If used on a living creature, you inflict 1d6 harm.
- Parry: The caster may spend 1 hold to negate an attack on himself.
- Shield: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 Armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
- Smite Chaos: Spend hold to gain +2 to any action against a Chaotic creature.
Your skin is tough, giving you one point of armor. You have a pair of sunglasses which let you operate in daytime without losing your sight. Pick one serious weapon and three Troll Gear
Serious weapons (pick one):
- Bronze Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 2-Protective)
- Fighting Net: (1-Harm Hand Grapple)
- Longspear: (1-Harm Hand/Close? 2-Handed)
- Mace and Chain : (Hand/Close? Bruiser)
- Two-Handed Axe: (2-Harm Hand 2-Handed)
- Stone Warclub : (1-Harm Hand Bruiser)
- War Mace : (1-Harm Hand Two-Handed Bruiser)
Troll Gear (pick three):
- Battleaxe : (1-Harm Hand)
- Bow: (Ranged-Close/Near?/Far? Two-Handed)
- Hand Axe: (Hand Throw-Close)
- Horn Dagger: (Intimate/Hand? Concealable)
- Mace : (Hand Bruiser)
- Short Spear: (Hand 1-Piercing)
- Wooden Shield: (Intimate/Hand? 1-Protective)
- Bag of Clacks: You can use this once per session to generate a point of leverage to persuade people or as a point of wealth to buy something.
- Bag of Edible Rocks: These rocks have been carefully treated so even weak Trollkin teeth can eat them. If you need FOOD, roll +Magic: 10+: You are fed for the day on yummy rocks; you gain +1 on your next rolled action. 7-9: They keep you alive but taste lousy. 6-: Ugh, they went down wrong and you feel terrible. -1 ongoing the rest of the day but you don't need other food.
- Farglasses: (Funky lenses allow you to see clearly four times as far)
- Heatglasses: (Placed over something flammable, it focuses sunlight to set the thing alight. Trolls don't like the sun but making it serve them is pleasing. It can be used as a ranged weapon: 1d8 Harm at hand range, 1d6 Harm at close range, 1d4 Harm at near range, infinite ammo in sunlight; useless in the dark or mere torchlight)
- Giant Ant Steed with Tack
- Priestly Soldier: You serve a temple of Ernalda, since you are too far from home to serve the priestesses there. You spend your off-time guarding the temple and at times they call on you for missions. In return, each season, roll +Charm. On a 10+, they give you two trinkets which will give you Advantage on a +Magic check. On a 7-9, you get one trinket.
- Renegade: You have a hideout in the wilds stocked with a few days of supplies. When in or near your hideout, get +1 on hunting or being hunted, and when in it get +1 armor and +1 ongoing due to prepared defences and traps.
- Weaponthane: You are the sworn warrior of an Orlanthi chief, who demands your loyalty but tolerates your strange troll ways. You have a place to sleep, food, and access to the leaders of that clan. You can try and get the Chief to loan you a warband (medium gang) once per Season; roll +Charm. On a 10+, he lets you take them, no strings attached. On a 7-9, you get them, but choose two of the following:
- He expects a cut of the loot and gets first pick.
- You will have to spend next season doing special work for him.
- He expects gifts (40 silver).
- He expects a special sacrifice to Orlanth (40 silver).
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook