HomePage | GloranthaWorld | RecentChanges | Preferences | Upload File
White Healer - Initiate of Chalanna Arroy
Chalanna Arroy is said to have sprung forth from Glorantha herself, sent to bring healing when injuries began. She aided many gods as the world slowly went mad, her services ever more needed. During this time, she had several love affairs, all cut short by the eventual violence of her lovers (not to her, but to others) and she had her son Arroin. She refused to take sides when the Gods warred, until finally, the Spike fell and she and Arroin encountered a god they could not heal, for he was dead. That would not do. They encountered Flesh Man, driven mad by the horrors of the Great Darkness; she tried to heal him but he fled and she gave chase. She followed Flesh Man, leaving her son to tend to the world's wounds; he would die in her absence, though many others died as well. Flesh Man led her eventually to the Lightbringer's Quest and her compassion and healing were critical to the mission's success. She became the bearer of the Harmony Rune, for its mistress had died with the Spike. And on that quest, she learned the secret to bring back the dead.
Her priestesses are found everywhere now, for they command the greatest healing magics in Glorantha; they do not fight, but they heal those injured in war, while striving always to bring peace and end feuds. They can only marry someone who is also sworn to peace like themselves and many never marry. But they are human and they often fall in love, tragically, with those who must fight.
Initiation to Chalana Arroy imposes severe restrictions on the initiate; the initiate must maintain her sacral purity and innocence from all violence. Initiates take an oath to aid all within the limits of their ability and never to harm a living creature. They must be vegetarians (although most drink milk and eat cheese). Many voluntarily eschew using any products that require the shedding of blood to obtain, and thus wear no leather or furs, use no gut strings, etc. Sheared wool is acceptable and similar products harvested without bloodshed.
In return, they are potent healers and learn how to fight without hurting others, how to bring peace to all. Well, they try, but it's hard. The world is hurt and they must heal it.
Chalanna Arroy accepts both men and women; most of her initiates are women, however. Too many Orlanthi men are drawn to violence, but some remember that There is Always Another Way and come to understand that You Cannot Water Your Garden With Blood.
Choose this playbook if you want to be an island of peace in the ocean of violence and to struggle with the flaws of your society and to bring healing to others.
Pick your Attributes
You have Magic +2, and pick one of the following arrays to distribute among your remaining Attributes:
Choose one of the following arrays:
- +1, +1, +0, -1
- +2, +0, -1, -1
- Your Hit Points are 8 + Might.
- Your Base Damage is d4.
You get all the basic moves. Choose three White Healer moves:
- An Understanding: At the beginning of each session choose another PC. If neither of you inflicts any harm on anyone during the session, then you both mark experience.
- Apothecary: You may spend 20 silver to make potions, salves and powders. When used up they grant 1 extra hold when rolling for Heal the World , or to avoid the negative result of any roll of 7-9 when using White Healer Basic Magic.
- Go in Peace: If a situation looks like it might turn violent, but blood has not been shed, you may call for peace. Roll +Magic, on any success there is a sudden pause as everyone reflects on your words. On a 10+, Any PC initiating violence will suffer -1 ongoing. NPCs will not initiate violence. On a 7-9, any PC initiating violence suffers -1 forward. NPCs initiating violence will telegraph their actions well in advance and all present have time to act before they follow through.
- Great Soul: You get +1 Magic (Max +3).
- Heal Curse: Target a magical effect within Close Range. Roll +Magic. 10+: You end the effect. 7-9: The effect is suspended for a number of rounds equal to your Magic, 6-: You fail and suffer -1 forward on your next action.
- Heal the World: When you hold a ceremony of healing and renewal, roll +Magic. On a 10+, choose 1:
- If there are 7 people participating, you may resurrect one character that has died within the last 7 days.
- Choose 2 from below.
- On a 7-9 choose 1:
- Heal one person of all that ails them and make them whole in mind and body
- Anyone injured is healed
- Anyone sick recovers
- Anyone troubled is comforted
- The Secret of Fighting without Hurting: When you enter a battle, roll +Magic. 10+: You get three hold. 7-9: You get one hold. 6 or less: You get one hold but suffer one harm. You can spend hold on any of the following:
- Negate an attack on an ally or foe
- Convince an NPC to stop fighting if you heal their injuries. They will not resume fighting unless provoked.
- Give yourself or an ally +1 Armor for the rest of the fight
- Heal 2d6 Harm on someone in the battle.
- Bar the Way of Disease: Spend 1 hold to bar a place or portal to spirits of disease or madness. When multiple, or powerful such spirits attempt to enter, the character is Defying Danger to maintain the warding. The ‘price to pay’ to maintain the warding can be 1-hold.
- Ensnare Spirit of Ill Body or Mind: Spend 1 hold to trap spirit of disease or madness in a magical warding. The character is defying danger to maintain the warding. The ‘price to pay’ to maintain the warding can be 1-hold.
- Heal: Spend hold to heal 1d8 Harm from an injury to yourself or another character.
- Shield : Spend 1 hold to gain +1 Armor against one of the following: melee, missiles or magical attack or cause of injury (such as falling rocks or a raging bonfire). Each can only be picked once.
- Song of Peace: Spend 1 hold to gain +1 on any attempt to Smooth Talk when arguing for peace.
- Plain, sturdy travel clothing
- Horse and tack
- Healing Garb
- Walking Stick (Not used to attack! You have oaths! But you can defend yourself with it. Due to Chalanna Arroy's blessing, you have +1 Armor with it in hand, though for anyone else, it's a stick. Ideally, of course, you never *need* armor.)
- Travel Bag
- Camping Gear
White Healers are welcome virtually anywhere. Only the most evil of people will refuse you hospitality and even they will sometimes want a healer. As long as you are willing to heal (and your goddess wants you to heal as much as you can), you can generally stay as long as you want anywhere. Geo's Inn especially welcomes you.
Conversely, your goddess frowns on violence. You can use your powers to assist warriors on an important mission, but you yourself refrain from violence. Engaging in violence can lead to the need to do special penance or quests to atone, unless the target was spirits of disease or the undead, both of which must be fought.
- Envoy: The Chief or a Temple employs you as an envoy because no one will attack an envoy who is also a Chalanna Arroy initiate. You are known and trusted, which gives you +2 whenever you try to talk your Chief or the Ring (or your employing Priests) into something.
- Priestess of Chalanna Arroy: You serve in the local temple of Chalanna Arroy. Once a season, you can pray at the Temple; roll +Magic. On a 10+, you gain two blessings which can be invoked once per season. On a 7-9, you gain one blessing:
- For one scene, your Healing Basic Magic heals 2d6 Harm.
- For one scene, NPCs will not attack you unless you break your oaths and attack *them* first, unless they are just ravening hellbeasts like a Walktapus and even it will eat you last.
- For one scene, your Healing Basic Magic cures any disease.
- For one scene, add +2 to any Healing you do.
- When you Read a Person, you can ask
- What illnesses do they suffer?
- What would convince them to make peace?
- What can awaken their compassion?
- +1 ongoing bonus to Go in Peace checks.
- Travelling Priestess: You roam as Chalanna calls you, healing others. They gift you in gratitude, though most of it gets eaten up by supplies, inn bills, and so on. Each Season, roll +Charm. On a 10+: You gain 60 silver. On a 7-9: You gain 40 silver.
Once you earn 5 XP, you can buy an advancement.
- Add +1 to an Attribute which is 0 or higher, to a maximum of +2
- Take another move from this playbook
- Take another Basic Magic move from this playbook
- Switch your Background to a different one from this playbook
After you have leveled up five times, you may take an advanced improvement for every 5 XP you earn.
- Get +1 to any Attribute, max +3
- Change to a different playbook
- Learn 2 Moves from this playbook
- Learn 1 Move from another playbook
- Learn 2 Basic Magic from this playbook
- Learn 1 Basic Magic from another playbook
- Erase one luck mark from your playbook