Custom Search


ContikiAnime Expo 2000

Well, here's a day by day report on both my Contiki and AX trip(s)!! The photos are at the bottom of each page!

16th June 2000

Waking up at 3.30 in the morning is not a good start to a holiday. Especially if it's for a 7.15am flight. One would expect that for a domestic flight, you'd only need to be there an hour before the flight... but, no! Not this one! This Melbourne to Sydney flight, though it's domestic, was an international flight!!!

Oh, well. At least I didn't have to get my bags at Sydney and put them on the new plane. The airline people did that for me. ;p

Well, I was seen off at the airport by mum, dad and Daniel (my boyfriend), all of whom managed to get up at 3.30am with me... we got to the airport at 5am, I checked in... then we wandered around the one open Duty Free shop, then sat at McDonalds and had a midni...err... breakfast!

Eventually it was boarding time. I said my goodbyes and got on the plane... only to sit on the plane and wait and wait because it was delayed, for reasons unknown. (They probably said, but I can't remember! :p )

Anyway, eventually I was off, on one of the 'new' (newest, despite it still being old) Qantas planes with the headrests with wings. That was great - I could sleep with my head between the two wings, so my neck didn't die. Yay!

Then we got to Sydney, after about an hour. And changed planes. To an old Qantas plane. With the old fashined crappy headrests without wings. And that was for the 9 hour flight to Honolulu. *sigh*

Thank goodness for the travel pillow! Yay!! (Not that I managed much sleep... but some is better than none, even if it was broken!)

They did have a movie marathon on, but all that I remember watching was Gun Shy. Amusing, but probably not to everyone's taste.

Well, it was 11pm the day before (16th - I left Australia on the 17th!) when I reached Hawaii. That was good - it was nice getting off the plane and getting out into the heat! A great change from winter, let me tell you! Customs wasn't a hasle, though, as always, the Customs people were kind of rude and brushed you off rather quickly. Oh, well...

I got on the shuttle that would take me to the Contiki hotel in Waikiki... and it was a 20m drive between the airport and the hotel. Somehow it ended up taking till 2am for me to get to my hotel!! (The shuttle didn't move from the airport for at least an hour, I guess... then dropping everyone else off!)

But I was amazed - Melbourne tends to shut down at 5pm almost every day of the week, except for Friday and Saturday evenings. Even so, you don't see people wandering the streets, shopping in the wee hours of the morning. At 2am, people were still shopping in Waikiki! The streets were pretty busy, too! It was amazing!

After checking in to the Ocean Resort hotel (two blocks from the beach), I called home then retired to my room. It was a nice, big room with two double beds (I was doing a twin share thing), without my room mate for the tour. I was pretty happy with that, having a night to myself. Not that it mattered - I fell asleep after setting my alarm for 6.30am... for the 'meet the tour group' at 7am the next morning. x_x

Well, here's an overview of my tour. Check out the Hawaiian Discovery Tour map - I got to visit three islands! Yay!! The tour sure made up for the lack of sleep getting there! ^_^

Hawaiian Discovery Tour Map

(But I sure wished that the 'meet the tour group' started later in the day. :p )

Day Two

Here's a list of the images - select the link or the thumbnails (they have been cropped, so the largest images are shown in full) to view them!

Looking out over the ocean, somewhere over the Pacific Looking out over the ocean, somewhere over the Pacific - I just thought the clouds made a pretty picture, and it's not a bad shot, considering it's out the plane window!

If you enjoyed this page, please contact me on Twitter: