Plays: Arnold J. Rimmer in Red Dwarf
This is the comic genius who plays Arnold Rimmer from Red Dwarf, Gordon Brittas from The Brittas Empire and Gary Prince from A Prince Among Men. He's also known for his impressions (he was the voice of various characters in Splitting Images), and has appeared in numerous adverts.
In my opinion, Chris is a wonderful actor. He seems to be quite witty, and above all, he's a gentleman. Very British, depsite being born in Germany.
He is also something of a sex symbol, it seems. Many, many female fans on the internet tend to drool over him (rather than just chatting about him)... the only problem with this is that, being very British, he's more embarassed over this than anything else.
His hobbies include various out door activities and excersising... and his love for classic cars and other assorted vehicles. He might be downsizing his collection, though (at one point, he had at least 42 cars!). Also, he enjoys photography.
Here's a quick run-down of his history:
- His early education took place in Northern Ireland, where he developed comedy as a way of fitting in with the 'cool' people.
- He went to a Methodist bording school in Belfast, and became Head Boy in his final year.
- At school, he was the lead in 'Dial M for Murder'.
- Deciding to head somewhere in life, he took up a business course at Brighton Polytechic, and dropped out.
- His career took off with a job as a grave filler at Wycombe Cemetary - he wasn't qualified enough to dig the graves!
- His other career paths included being an import-export clerk, an estate agent, a trolly collecter at a supermarket, a job in the sports department of Harrods, a job at the Reject Shop, a van driver and also the higly sort after job of dole bludger.
- As a way to get impressionism out of his system, he appeared on David Essex - he got £178 for three minutes!
- In 1987, he met his first wife, an Italian girl called Monica, and married.
- In 1987 he started Red Dwarf, which is still going strong.
- Unfortunately, he realised that his marriage to Monica was more about passion than love, and they split up in 1990.
- It was the same year that he started working on the Brittas Empire, which ended up running for seven years.
- He met a fashion buyer called Aleks in a bus stop at Waterloo Station (during a bomb scare), and they started dating on and off.
- He started to work on a new series, called Prince Among Men, which has yet to be shown in Australia.
- On December 3, 1997, he married Aleks.
- Currently lives in a village in Berkshire, England.
- He's got two dogs - Cocoa (a Labrador) and Dexter (an Alsation).
He would enjoy doing a romantic role, but he feels that playing characters like Rimmer, Brittas and Prince leave him with little chance of this. I (and many other fans) support him all the way, and would love to see him in this role!
What the future holds for Mr Barrie, we shall just have to wait and see - but he is willing to appear in Red Dwarf 8, and the Red Dwarf movie... so hopefully we will be seeing much more of this actor!
I'd really _love_ to get together a Chris Barrie gallery - photos of him from conventions, with other people, without other people, etc. Please contribute and make this a great Chris Barrie page!
© Caroline 'Kunoichi' Seawright 2000 - present
If you enjoyed this page, please contact me on Twitter: Tweet to @kunoichiau