Just for Kicks!
Occassionally I'll pull stuff from my immense pile of
diskettes and get a chuckle or two. Or I'll find something
cute from a post from a mailing list or a website. This list
that follows is just an example of the weird, wonderful world
of the fan author:
- Why did the Chicken cross the Road?--
I found this on OTL around Christmas time. At the time, it had
caused a stir, but I hope the furor has gone down by now.
- From Warren with Love--
Back when I had a CompuServe account (waaaay back) Warren Ellis
was a contributor to the discussions we'd have about
comics. Here's a lovely little snippet from those halcyon days.
- Rising Star by Rob Orick--
Way back in 1996, there was this poster named Rob Orick who
wrote about these martial artists who lived in the Tendo basement.
They took on lives of their own, seeping their way into his
.sig file, his mind, the mind of his friends. This is a short
songfic about them. I miss you, guys!
- Wombats on Parade--
Don't ask me how it started on #subcafe, because even I don't know. The basic premise
is for you to take the word "wombat" and insert it into popular movie titles,
TV shows and the like. See if you can count how many times someone suggests
- Mike and Lara did WHAT?--
There's a little place called the Keep (it was featured semi-prominently
in "Sailor Hellblazer") where I hang with my anime fic friends. One day,
I heard about Mike's little dalliance with Lara. Luckily someone logged
part of it for me.
- The Future is Now--
As far back as 1996, I had a CompuServe account. One day in the X-Men
forum, a poster by the name of Boden put up his list of predictions
about the future of Marvel Comics. See how many have come true
- Ill Met by Starlight spoof scenes--
No, Mike isn't paying me to do this. I just think that this is a perfect
example of how two authors can have fun with each other while writing
together. It helps to relieve tension, ya know?
- The 1998 Kawaii Muck Christmas Poem by Jeff Hosmer--
Look what Jeff got the Keep Rats for Christmas last year! Isn't he
- Ana's page of fun from IRC--
This isn't technically a text piece like the other "Kicks" pieces have
been, but a plug for Ana's site which included hilarious conversations
she's had on IRC and private chat. I also hate to admit it, but she
put the Wombat log up before I did. <slinks off in shame>
- The Three Bears and the Caffeine Fairy by Chris Willmore--
Chris is currently in London, England, getting his Ph.D in Economics. But
while on Christmas break, he wrote this little story for his cousin as a gift.
It's really cute, trust me.
- Plight of the Purple Dragon by various --
Way back, in 1996, some of us on the EFnet
#ranma! channel got the idea to start writing fiction over IRC, live! What follows
here is a copy of the session I was involved in.
- The FFML Scrapbooks, compiled by Damon Casale (with help from Andy "Panda" Skuse) --
When the FFML started to get immense, someone had the bright
idea to go through the archives and remailer (yes, there was one) and pull together some of the funnier threads, posts and events. This may go a long way towards explaining some of the in-jokes that the dinos spout. Some irrelevant side comments have been edited out at the editor's
discretion. There are a total of four (figures they'd stop right before I got on the list).
- Why Bobby Drake could be Omega Class (aka, Matt's Favorite Argument)--I told you I'd link it here eventually. If you missed it the first time, read all about how Bobby Drake, aka the Iceman, has the potential to be one of the most powerful mutants on the X-Men team.
- Shunsuke's Concise Guide to Better Fanfic Writing, Version 1.2
--I have no idea where I got this from, but it's useful anyway. If anyone can tell me where this was from, I'd be grateful.
- Anime Pie--Again, I told you I'd be putting this here. Written by Mike Loader, see how many anime fic references you can get.
- Things To Do on IRC When You're Bored by various--It follows the same vein as the "Plight of the Purple Dragon" above... someone else just beat me to it. <grumble>
Back to Main Page